mediator

Technomancer
Kool post!
I'm the winner...Just kiddin!
*img112.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot7yv.png
*img112.imageshack.us/img112/1589/screenshot7yv.th.png

Satissh S

Youngling
Here is my New GNOme 2.12 Desky.. BTW Gnome Baker Rocks!!! WOW !!
*img150.imageshack.us/img150/2411/screenshot4er.th.png

praka123

left this forum longback
My Ubuntu Breezy 5.10 :eek: in Nature Naturally! :lol:
I put xrefresh command in the bottom task bar left side "X" icon.

*www.iup.in/out.php/t1409_Screenshot.png

Satissh S

Youngling
@riyaz:That's how they call me at home :D.It's kinda pet name ;)

@Prakash: Consider putting all those drive and folder icons in a Drawer at the taskbar, and add a transparent borderless terminal kindaa like aterm. Install aterm via apt-get and follow the instructions given, *linuxreviews.org/software/x11-terms/aterm/
Now along with water reflection, your desky wud be hard to beat.. :)

Satissh S

Youngling
Eric's Desktop Guidelines and his desktop.

Here are Eric S Raymond's FVWM2 desktop and his guidelines for Modding your desktop for maximum productivity.
*www.catb.org/~esr/fvwm2/
Here is his desky.,
*img137.imageshack.us/img137/9907/bluesteel6jy.th.png

Look how much space it has for work, without emphasising much on artistry. But i feel we can make it artistic., that's just a model. And for god sake don't use full blown desktop environments such as GNOME or KDE., unless you really have to.

My problem has been of late that ff uses a lot of space on my desky., I have 1280x1024 @ 75hz I don't like switching multiple desktops. Is it possible to prolly reduce the font size of ALL webpages displayed such that i have ff open at one half. A term and an editor or some other app on the other. I also wan't a dock kinda thing for launching apps as launching from terms have several disadvantages as the terminal remains on the screen or the tab until you close the app.. I also need something like a iconbox to keep track of open windows.. I'm searching on the web. Lets see..

Notice: The above image has been used under his copying guidelines.
*www.catb.org/~esr/copying.html

ujjwal

Padawan
Although I have experimented with all sorts of "unixy" fvwm setups, I personally still prefer the Win 95 interface over everything else. Somehow, I cannot get used to anything other than a taskbar for managing open windows, click to focus behaviour, being able to click in windows to raise them, and infinite edge resistance. Perhaps this is because I use an 800x600 resolution, and keep many of my windows maximised.

The amazing thing about FVWM is that it can be made to look so different from, well, itself. Check the popular config by taviso -

*dev.gentoo.org/~taviso/screenshot05.png

Satissh, you could try reducing X dpi setting for reducing font size, or you should be able to specify general font settings in firefox preferences dialog, if I recall. Also, fvwm provides an iconbox (as well as taskbar) module.

kato

Karthiksn
@Satissh S
o_O dude awesome just a question if KDE looks so kool why does everyone say NOME is better??

Satissh S

Youngling
Actually it's personal preference.

Riyaz says he won't comment on kde b'coz he hasn't worked on it for 20 minutes continuously.

Basically i luv all FOSS softwares, but when it comes to DE's i prefer a window manager shell more than a Desktop environment coz, it is not resource hungry as well as being efficient just like fvwm or fluxbox besides it will increase compile times. However i do occasionally peep into GNOME or KDE just to use them and probably file any bugs ;)

Besides you can make GNOME equally kewl too, Take a look at these sites to get an idea.

[56k warnings]

www.lynucs.org
www.kde-look.org
www.gnome-look.org
*step.polymtl.ca/~coyote/linux_desktops.html

Besides here is a google image search for linux desky's :p

Satissh S

Youngling
Ok here is my Fluxbox desky with transparent aterm and all the icandy. See howmuch we can mod a transparent aterm terminal and left of it is the normal xterm. I wud however love to have a system load meter there. Maybe somebody can suggest one!! :p
*img87.imageshack.us/img87/4831/screeny0pi.th.jpg

kato

Karthiksn
So you mena that we can change the desktop environment from KDE or GNOME to any other. (Really i dont know anything about Linux will innstall Fedora core 4 once i get new Hard Disk)

Top Bottom