Post-processing of photos - inputs, views, discussions.....

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
I've noticed when Professional photographers post their pics on FB, they've got a different effect to it...
which gives an awesome feel.
How do they do it ?

I think you are talking about bokeh (only the subject being kept in focus)
Its a natural consequence of the camera lenses they use. These lenses tend to have large light-gathering openings and by the rules of physics can have very shallow "depth-of-field". Google it :D

Tejas.Gupta

Ethical Hacker :)
I think you are talking about bokeh (only the subject being kept in focus)
Its a natural consequence of the camera lenses they use. These lenses tend to have large light-gathering openings and by the rules of physics can have very shallow "depth-of-field". Google it :D

No not the bokeh :/

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Okay.. Is it the bumped up saturation thats what you are talking about?
Or that delicate instagram-ish fade near the edges?
Or the close-up-ness of portraits?
I cant think of anything else... Could you post a pic of the kind, so that we could see too? :)

quagmire

Allllright !
[Didn't want to post in the other thread and hijack ongoing discussion]

Guys need a little help with stitching images.

When I first read about 'The Brenizer Method' on Canon forum I was completely mindblown by the DOF and thought of giving it a try:

Took 9 pics and sticthed them using s/w bundled with camera :
Original pics:
*dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97276205/IMG_3019.JPG

*dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97276205/IMG_3020.JPG

*dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97276205/IMG_3021.JPG

*dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97276205/IMG_3022.JPG

*dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97276205/IMG_3031.JPG

*dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97276205/IMG_3032.JPG

*dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97276205/IMG_3033.JPG

*dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97276205/IMG_3034.JPG

*dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97276205/IMG_3035.JPG

Ended up with this:

*farm6.staticflickr.com/5479/9839947903_bdd0b185f8_b.jpg

Some weird lines have appeared where the stitched seams are. Any way to fix this? Possible in GIMP?
PS: I'm a novice in PS.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Yes. Reduce the temperature/warmth/saturation og the primary pic holding the flower to make ait a little more bluish before stitching the images. It wont outright remove the lines but will surely make them a lot less visible. :)

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Were you trying focus stacking??? If yes, try CombineZ

No, not focus stacking. I just read up about it online. Its like printing a large poster in a4 sheets and then tiling them on the wall to create the larger picture.

BTW here is some PP from me after a really long time. I havent done anything to improve the IQ. The sole purose here was to blend smoothly.

*farm4.staticflickr.com/3677/9842085016_2df7fa798f_c.jpg
Tiling demo by pranav0091, on Flickr

@Quagmire: Here's a tip - always get the subject covered in a single shot if possible, expecially in cases like these where the subject is very small. Also avoid any kind of auto settings especially like its seen in your image - color temperature/white balance.

@Quagmire: Here's a tip - always get the subject covered in a single shot if possible, expecially in cases like these where the subject is very small. Also avoid any kind of auto settings especially like its seen in your image - color temperature/white balance.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks Pranav and Quag for introducing me a new thing.

I couldn't able to view the picture. Something happened with my browser after it updated to the latest version. Pages are keep on loading with no picture to view. Tried Flickr, and it doesn't help either...

quagmire

Allllright !
^Thanks a lot buddy. Will keep those in mind from next time.
Can you also describe a little more about the PP youve done. Is it in PS?

@nac: I was actually trying the 'The Brenizer Method'. Its basically stitching multiple shallow DOF images into one to obtain an even shallower DOF.

Using the Brenizer calculator I just found that my stitched pic is equivalent to 30mm f2.8 :wink:
(The max aperture on my cam is f3.5 @24mm)

Articles: brenizer method Archives - Ryan Brenizer -- NYC Wedding Photographer. Problem solver, storyteller. » Ryan Brenizer — NYC Wedding Photographer. Problem solver, storyteller. , The Brenizer Method Explained With Directions | San Francisco Bay Area Editorial Story-telling Wedding Photography

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
^Thanks a lot buddy. Will keep those in mind from next time.
Can you also describe a little more about the PP youve done. Is it in PS?

@nac: I was actually trying the 'The Brenizer Method'. Its basically stitching multiple shallow DOF images into one to obtain an even shallower DOF.

Using the Brenizer calculator I just found that my stitched pic is equivalent to 30mm f2.8 :wink:
(The max aperture on my cam is f3.5 @24mm)

Articles: brenizer method Archives - Ryan Brenizer -- NYC Wedding Photographer. Problem solver, storyteller. » Ryan Brenizer — NYC Wedding Photographer. Problem solver, storyteller. , The Brenizer Method Explained With Directions | San Francisco Bay Area Editorial Story-telling Wedding Photography

Thanks to quagmire from my part too. Even I was hearing this for the first time. :)

Yeah, this one was with PS. I rarely if ever use PS, but this one called for it. The need here was to use the brushes to erase the edges gently so that the lines disappeared. The only other adjustment that I used was brightness + contrast adjustment to get the images to have reasonably the same white balance.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I tried brenizer method... Even before trying I didn't feel like I would get decent result from a compact. I did the calculation before trying... like focal length, subject distance, angle of coverage, DOF and all...

Things I find difficult to get a decent result,
small sensor
small aperture
no OVF
slow shot to shot

I did shoot a series of shots and PS doesn't help stitching it together. Tried Autopano, it stitched very good. Since it's a trial version, watermarks are all over the image. And I couldn't find an option to save jpeg (may be that's the feature of trial version :D)

I don't thing I could get a decent image with people (full length) as a subject. Stitching in PS doesn't seems to easy for me...

lm2k

Journeyman
@quagmire : the pic u tried using Breneziers portrait panorama is amazing, comming from a point and shoot camera
i am really eager to kno how *you* did it? i mean focal length, subject distance, number of images, software????

@quagmire : the pic u tried using Breneziers portrait panorama is amazing, comming from a point and shoot camera
i am really eager to kno how *you* did it? i mean focal length, subject distance, number of images, software????

Top Bottom