Post-processing of photos - inputs, views, discussions.....

skr

Broken In
Hi! friends,

I have started this thread to discuss the aspect of post-processing of photos.

There are certain scenarios where post-processing of photos is a necessity, like for pictures of functions, family gatherings etc. Also where closeups of faces need touch-ups, smoothening etc. post-processing of photos is a necessity.

However in other circumstances, I feel, a photo will appear as natural as possible if it is devoid of any post-processing. The actual mood of the scene, potrait, nature settings etc. is best captured naturally, than being induced in post-processing.

In this regard, my opinion is that more emphasis must be laid on COMPOSING the shots, to capture the true essence and mood of the moment, rather than taking the help of post-processing softwares to create or induce the moods.

Awaiting Valuable inputs from learned friends.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
good job creating a thread for this purpose.

VOTE on being Made Sticky, as the comments start pourong in. ;)

lm2k

Journeyman
:+1: A thread for discussion n sharing of *techniques* n avoiding never ending debate whether to pp or not .

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
For faces/portraits you can use Perfect 365. It is a very very easy to use application and lets you do most of the post processing like removing flash shine, changing skin tone, texture, eye color, eyelashes and eyebrow color/styles, lift cheeks, remove dark circles etc. Results are pretty good too

Few of my own samples

*lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xe-gVL9oYX0/UMX1YXugWDI/AAAAAAAABF8/2XGVDQgOYWk/s912/Screenshot%2520%252833%2529.jpg

*lh5.googleusercontent.com/-HBzVA6ulM0o/UMX1ZFwHX1I/AAAAAAAABGA/LR8mTizAl7k/s912/Screenshot%2520%252832%2529.jpg

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Great thread BTW. Will post a tutorial on how to create a composite from burst shots in Photoshop soon

Regarding question of OP, Post processing is necessary. Out of camera shots may be inaccurate wrt color and white balance. Natural = what eye sees. PP can be used to bridge the gap

raja manuel

In the zone
I shoot in RAW and post process using DPP which is quite simple but gives impressive results. Now experimenting a bit with RAW Therapee for more advanced stuff, but it isn't as intuitive.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
just an input: one should not PP to cover his/her mistake. but rather to amplify what one wants to show in the shot. a well shot image is 98% final production image. :)

except for special cases. ;)

OP
skr

skr

Broken In
Thanks all for the appreciative and informative inputs. I would like more discussions here.

OFCOURSE, POST-PROCESSING OWING TO A HANDICAP IN THE GEAR DEPARTMENT (i.e. not having the features in the camera) IS NOT WHAT THIS DISCUSSION SHOUL BE ABOUT.

I would like to put forth my opinion illustratively.

This is a photo I uploaded on the Photographic thread.

*farm9.staticflickr.com/8361/8260905548_bf8a4671ec.jpg
IMG_5273 by skr sx130, on Flickr

Learned friends suggested the the bird, the subject, should get highlighted and that the green leaf was actually drawing the attention away from the bird. The somewhat modified photo is posted below.

*farm9.staticflickr.com/8346/8263937702_5fac392ab0.jpg
IMG_52731 by skr sx130, on Flickr

My argument here is, the assessment of the skill and capability of a good photographer is in the shot composition, rather than the post processing. When a photo is composed with control over such aspects like highlights, colour shades, backgrounds, blurs etc. it shows the depth of the person behind the camera.

One more point for discussion. IS IT A PHOTO OR A PICTURE..... WHAT IS THE RIGHT WORD TO USE?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Though a well taken shot is the single most important factor, post processing if used wisely, is a wonderful tool.

I personally always use atleast a bit of processing to almost any image that i take - trim the levels from one or both ends and/or tweak the curves a wee bit to enhance contrast. It usually results in a bit of loss of detail, but I prefer the punchier result as compared to the originals for pictures involving people.

Then there are somethings that cant be avoided - red eye reduction and the like.
8260905548_149bd12fcd_h.jpg
Agreed I desaturated that leaf a bit too much, but this is typical of what I do to pics I take.

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
One more point for discussion. IS IT A PHOTO OR A PICTURE..... WHAT IS THE RIGHT WORD TO USE?

I am not so sure... photo, photograph, picture, image, exposure, click, snap all seems to be similar/more or less same. Probably, photograph may be more appropriate.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Nice thread...sadly I know very little about PP techniques and use various software inbuilt features to do these work...
Picasa - day to day editing
photomatrix - HDR
Photoshop - lot n lot of things including panorama,dodging, remmoving people from picture
neat image - removing noise
irfan view - batch processing like decreasing resolution , cropping
face editing using portrait professional

clickclick

Journeyman
Nice thread...sadly I know very little about PP techniques and use various software inbuilt features to do these work...
Picasa - day to day editing
photomatrix - HDR
Photoshop - lot n lot of things including panorama,dodging, remmoving people from picture
neat image - removing noise
irfan view - batch processing like decreasing resolution , cropping
face editing using portrait professional

Nice post, what about lightroom? Is it more advanced than picasa?

mastervk

In the zone
Nice post, what about lightroom? Is it more advanced than picasa?

LR is much more advanced than picasa.They are not at same level.

Picasa is good as picture manger and doing some tweaks(crop,adjustment) etc.For mobile and P&S pics i use picasa.

LR is very capable software and can be used for complete workflow (import,select/reject,process,export).I use it in this way.

I dont use photoshop.It is very good for heavy post processing but that is more effort that i want to spend on a single photo..Though many photographers use photoshop actions for batch processing..

sujoyp

Grand Master
LR is good one...but its as big as photoshop...and too many options ...I use picasa simply and photoshop for manual editing

clickclick

Journeyman
LR is much more advanced than picasa.They are not at same level.

Picasa is good as picture manger and doing some tweaks(crop,adjustment) etc.For mobile and P&S pics i use picasa.

LR is very capable software and can be used for complete workflow (import,select/reject,process,export).I use it in this way.

I dont use photoshop.It is very good for heavy post processing but that is more effort that i want to spend on a single photo..Though many photographers use photoshop actions for batch processing..

My cousin brother is a fashion and wedding photographer, he uses photoshop and lightroom. The amount of time and effort he puts in to retouch in PS really gives the desired results.

Top Bottom