**Post All Cellphone Related Queries Here**

Status
Not open for further replies.

shri

Always Fresh!
Can we get firmware updates for Nokia phones? mine is Nokia 3200. Whaere do we get it? How to go about installing it?

aadipa

Padawan
shri said:
Can we get firmware updates for Nokia phones? mine is Nokia 3200. Whaere do we get it? How to go about installing it?

You can do it at service stations. HCL handles Nokia Service stations in India.

d00by

Broken In
Help me buy a phone in the range of 4000-5500 rupees

Hi Guys,

I am going to buy a phone (Most probably a nokia phone). I don't know much about mobile phones. I have an old phone with idea prepaid connection.. I have a budget of Rs. 5500.

I have heard that Nokia 1100 is an excellent entry level phone and it also very cheap (Rs. 3000!) SInce I have an extra 2500 rupees to spend, should I go for a better phone? If I can get a phone which has fm radio, polyphonic tunes and ability to download them, it would be great! I am NOT interested in fancy features like mms, camera, gprs crap... I had almost made up my mind with Nokia 1100, but the absence of fm radio and polyphonic tunes is what is holding me back... Any suggestions?

If I have a budget in the region of Rs. 5500 should I buy Nokia 1100 and spend the rest of the money on accessories like headset/phones/car charger OR should I go for a better phone?

Oh, I forgot to add that I live in Ghaziabad near delhi...

Also, Should I buy phone from an authorized nokia shop only?

How can I tell if I am buying a genuine fan..
I phoned nokia at 30303838. They gave me some crap about going to website and entering the battery no.

I wanted something better so that I can know that phone is genuine at time of buying itself!

I talked to a local mobile seller in ghaziabad. he quoted a price of Rs. 4175 for Nokia 2600. He said that he will give me a bill BUt he would not give the nokia warranty card. But, he did say that the bill will enable me 1 year warranty.

Should I buy the nokia phone without the warranty card? If he is not giving me the warranty card foes that mean that the phone is fake OR that the phone is second hand?

Can you tell me if 2600 model allows me to download polyphonic tunes?

Also, Can I add fm radio to 2600 model by buying a handsfree accessory? If yes, how much does it cost?

also on a different model, is 1108 model better or 1100?

If I am willing to spend a little more, how would you guys rate the 3120 model? Can I download polyphonic tunes in this phone?

:oops: :(

Delpiero

Journeyman
drgrudge said:
@bendre123,
I have posted about this before..so i post it agian..

I like 6600 personally. :D

But it too has disadvantages.
- no FM/Mp3 playback (but can be done with third party spftwares)
- low speaker volume
- slow processor (but with more memory of MMC it's a bit faster)

And with k700i, we have:
- no expandable memory
- bad keypads (IMO)
- no symbian OS
- Night mode cam quality is not that good
- compactibilty issues

So see the pros and cons and decide. I personally will go for 6600 :p
The newer models seem to have low volume. My friend has an older model and it sounds much louder than mine. This has been a problem since january and it applies for every 6600 owner who bought after january. Maybe that's why they have reduced their prices as well.

supernova

Mr. S Nova
Re: Help me buy a phone in the range of 4000-5500 rupees

d00by said:
Hi Guys,

I am going to buy a phone (Most probably a nokia phone). I don't know much about mobile phones. I have an old phone with idea prepaid connection.. I have a budget of Rs. 5500.

I have heard that Nokia 1100 is an excellent entry level phone and it also very cheap (Rs. 3000!) SInce I have an extra 2500 rupees to spend, should I go for a better phone? If I can get a phone which has fm radio, polyphonic tunes and ability to download them, it would be great! I am NOT interested in fancy features like mms, camera, gprs ****... I had almost made up my mind with Nokia 1100, but the absence of fm radio and polyphonic tunes is what is holding me back... Any suggestions?

If I have a budget in the region of Rs. 5500 should I buy Nokia 1100 and spend the rest of the money on accessories like headset/phones/car charger OR should I go for a better phone?

Oh, I forgot to add that I live in Ghaziabad near delhi...

Also, Should I buy phone from an authorized nokia shop only?

How can I tell if I am buying a genuine fan..
I phoned nokia at 30303838. They gave me some **** about going to website and entering the battery no.

I wanted something better so that I can know that phone is genuine at time of buying itself!

I talked to a local mobile s...............................................
:oops: :(

U want FM + Polyphonic + Good Phone..
GO for 6610 for around 5700/- just 200 above ur budget. Btu comes with handsfree kit as well. So you need not worry about any more accessories.

To see wether you are getting a genuine nokia. Check for importer's holographic seal on the box. The importer should be Nokia India with address of MahipalPur, Delhi.

dodo

Broken In
Can anyone tell me what video files can the motorola e398 play. And also what is the easiest way to install new java applications in e398.

sagsall4u

Journeyman
hmmm

i bought a amsung X100 cellphone some 9 months back. is the phone phased out . and if yes why coz its a gr8 phone for 6300 bucks

d00by

Broken In
Re: Help me buy a phone in the range of 4000-5500 rupees

supernova said:
U want FM + Polyphonic + Good Phone..
GO for 6610 for around 5700/- just 200 above ur budget. Btu comes with handsfree kit as well. So you need not worry about any more accessories.

To see wether you are getting a genuine nokia. Check for importer's holographic seal on the box. The importer should be Nokia India with address of MahipalPur, Delhi.

6610 comes with handsfree kit? When you say comes, do you mean the fm handsfree kit is provided for free with 6610 or that fm radio is inbuilt in 6610 model? :)

btw, I meant model 6600 in my previous post. model 6600 costs 14000.

stinger_02in

Right off the assembly line
i finally bought myself an SE k508i and am quite happy with it.the only grouse has been the squicky battery cover which is very irritating.
the firmware version is R2AE033 - so the shutter noise is turned off in silent mode (thank god).

i have installed a few 3d games such as -

1. Asphalt Urban GT 3d
2. Splinter Cell PT 3d

i have some queries about the phone -

1. how to delete the locked content ?
2. can i adjust display brightness/contrast ?
3. what are the settings required for streaming media ? is there any wap sites offering streaming content other than Airtel live ? ( am an Airtel subscriber)

allajunaki

Journeyman
Nokia 7710 the good bad and Ugly

I have noticed Some ppl here are interested in 7710,

About a month back, i was also in market to buy a new Cell.
I was there coz my SonyEricsson P800 flip broke and i was using it like a touch screen only phone(which was a pain as SE has no buttons like 7710, just a jog dial that does all the work), and i wanted to upgrade.

My choice was simple P900,P910i or 7710.

Since ppl are interested in 7710, i will only discuss about that.
The good,
7710 is a widescreen Phone, its video playback is pretty good(coz of the screen size, its an amzing media device).
Awesome Display(quality of display)
7710 also is good for ppl who read a lot of e-books.
7710's MP3 playback is also pretty good.
Interface looks really good. Truley futuristic interface... (no hard boxes and squares...;) ).
Phone also got nice appeal, coz of its Nice BIG screen and no keypad makes it look truley futuristic...

The Bad
Battery life is pretty bad... u need to charge it everyday..(everyother day if u only use the phone functions).
Screen prone to attract a lot of dust and dirt.. so need to clean it everyday
new platform, hence no. of apps are limited (compared to series 60 and 80, series 90 is very new.. so it will take a while).

The ugly
Well.. ppl.. the strength of this phone is its weakness.. Unfortunatley Phone with just a big touchscreen is not very practical.... Agreed there is a joystick and few keys.. buts thats not enuff.
The problem is.. touch screen gets dirty soon.. and when u run stylus over that, it puts a lot of surface scratches on the screen.. so u need to put a screen protector.. and more over.. sometimes its impossible to do blind type/navigations (means.. u are so used to which keys that u go by the sequence of keypresses than the visual feedback, sms junkies will know what i mean...). That means u need to constantly see wahats happening...
And ppl who sms a lot.. stay away.. coz Handwriting recognition is slow(and not very accurate compared to SE's JOT system) to use... and Onscreen keyboard is impossible to use if u are on a moving vehicle...)

But that apart, if one can take care of it like a jewel, its a good phone. lets hope more and more apps make an appearance for this platform.

as far as im concerned.. My shopping trip ended with a week used P910i with no scratches on screen, and small two nicks.. which happenes when u use it for a week or 2. i got it for 21k. No flaws and no probs.. (i feel p910i/p900 is the best tochscreen phone, coz its the only phone which offers best of both worlds.. and one can make it into touchscreen only phone in 10 misn.. by removing the flip.).... And yeah... all the disadvantges of a tocuh screen is still present in Sony Ericsson P910i.. just that u can circumvent all those by just closing the flip, then it becomes a regular phone.

supernova

Mr. S Nova
Drawbacks of 7710
· overall slow system
· stability problems
· yellow cast on the display
· slow searching in the phonebook
· it is not always possible to use it
without the stylus
· bad ergonomics in some cases

allajunaki

Journeyman
supernova said:
Drawbacks of 7710
· overall slow system
· stability problems
· yellow cast on the display
· slow searching in the phonebook
· it is not always possible to use it
without the stylus
· bad ergonomics in some cases

I wasnt aware of the stability problem... Is its firmware upgradable over the internet like sonyericsson phones.. ??

And i and u forgot to mention one more draw back..

-> one handed operation Impossible

[/b]

supernova

Mr. S Nova
[quote="allajunakiI wasnt aware of the stability problem... Is its firmware upgradable over the internet like sonyericsson phones.. ??

[/quote]

as this is the first phone based on symbian 90 interface. we can expect firmware upgrades in the near future. :roll:
However, as of now the phone has major stability problem. :x :x

Mobiles with MP3, Sub 15K

Looking to buy one of these. Any recommendations? I have my sights set on Nokia 6230.

*www.nokia.co.in/nokia/0,,72561,00.html

-Keith

suave_guy

pedal to metal
nokia 6230 has a mp3 player but it plays mp3s in mono...so i wont recommend it...

however its upgrade 6230i is a real good phone which can also play AAC/mp4 along with mp3s in stereo...the screen is also slightly better plus the camera...its 1.3 MP

so my suggestion is to add more bucks and get this phone....no point in buying 6230 just coz its more cheaper coz u'll later get frustrated and will find listening to mp3s in mono useless....

moreover there's no phone in sub 15K category which can play mp3s in stereo, with the exception of SE K700i, but k700i doest not support expandable memory...so no point in buying that too...

go with nokia 6230i :p

ENjoy...

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Keith Sebastian, why did u post here when u have the sticky for mobile queries?

Anyway..
* K700i plays Mp3 but it dont has expandable memory.., but we can store some 8 tracks in really good quality and some 20-25 tracks in low quality (or rather not so high quality :p )

* Nokia 6230 costs just 11k, but i dont think u can get it anymore, coz Nokia stopped manufacturing it..
Check Nemisis's review here:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13100

* Nokia 6260 is another option for you. It plays Mp3 and less than 15k.
Check my review here..
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12921

* Moto E398 also plays mp3 and less than 15k. It has the best sound and consider as a option..
Check my review here..
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15977

* U can get these phones also but they are no longer manufactured by Nokia.
3300, N gage,6230.

* By the way u can check Samsung D500 also, it's 18-19k. Search for the review posted here..

suave_guy

pedal to metal
the trick with k700i is that its firmware upgrade now supports AAC/mp4 codec, so u can encode ur mp3s to AAC format with quality set at 50...so u can get a 6mb mp3 track to 2.5mb AAC track with almost same quality...
so that way u can store atleast 20 tracks easily(quality identical to 128 kbps mp3) on its 41 mb internal memory and maybe even more..depending on the size of the files...plus the quality of mp3 is very good...though u need to fiddle around with the sound equalizer provided by the phone to get max. fidiliety

and yes how did i missed motorola E398....if u want a phone just for mp3 playback, then nothing else is better..atleast in terms of audio quality...but this phone too has some issues....for eg. no video recording and no FM Radio either...plus the phone is heavy....though not bulky....

nokia 6260 also plays mp3s in mono....

btw nokia 6230i is priced arnd. 17-17.5K...drgrudge told me that....so basically u just have to spend extra 2K...

ENjoy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom