Poor student, career options.

rahul_c

Journeyman
I am a below average student just appeared for 12th this year, I think I will not be able to clear Math exam. Just to get my head clear, I want to know what are my options if I fail or get compartment?
If I fail I think I will have to do a diploma, how bad is it to do diploma. I was thinking of doing 3 year diploma that requires class X and then join a engineering college through lateral entry.
Cant shake the feeling of having dark future. Help me guys.

digitaltab

In the zone
you are already talking like your result is out and you failed the exam!!!

the better idea is that study again in 12th to pass the exam rather than diploma...

that will leave you plenty of career choices + you'll not regret the decision in your whole life..

OR why not choose biology in 12th instead of math if you think you are weak???

study the 12th class again with biology as major...it'll waste one more year but at least you'll do good in 12th, and hence many career options after that...

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I'd also suggest as Shivam suggested.

You can go with these diplomas and all but I'd recommend appear on 12th again if you fail by any chance.

Because after passing 12th you'll have plenty of changes opened for you.

And also not clearing Higher Secondary school may create many problems later.

Anyway, Best of luck for your result :)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
First of all, stop calling yourself poor. I myself was not so good either (God! I hate studies) but managed to scrape past maths somehow and got into Engineering.

Also, keep diploma as a last resort. And, like krishnandu.sarkar suggests, in case of (God forbid) failure, it'd be better to attempt again and pass than enroll for diploma and waste 2 years (since you'd be going into 2nd year engineering after that).

Try as much as possible to get over into graduation school after 12th. I have seen that laterals who join 2nd year engineering after diploma find certain subjects (especially maths related subjects) difficult because they had missed out on the base of those subjects in the first year. So, joining fresh gives you an advantage.

PS: What subjects did you take for 12th?

Last edited:

sumansherlock

Broken In
I would suggest you to clear the maths in supplementary with good marks and get a seat though management ,that is what me and my friends did last year:-D now getting good marks in engineering till now:p suppose if you even failed in supplementary then sit exams on next year and clear the all subs, some of my friends have done this also :-D so there are many options that you can enter into engineering.... you have a bright future man, be positive and clear the sub in supp.... All the best:thumbs:

coolpcguy

Resistance is Futile.
Honestly, if you can't handle Math, please skip engineering. Engineering is quite heavy on math.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Honestly, if you can't handle Math, please skip engineering. Engineering is quite heavy on math.

Agreed, but math ain't that tough. At first, I couldn't handle it, but prepared enough to just scrape through somehow.

coolpcguy

Resistance is Futile.
Agreed, but math ain't that tough. At first, I couldn't handle it, but prepared enough to just scrape through somehow.

Not sure if you've had a look at Engineering mathematics. 10th/12th ain't that tough but the difficulty level increases a lot in Engineering.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I am not sure about difficulty, but actually some concepts are completely alien. If you have a good base, then its not a problem.

I had backlogs in maths every semester, but always cleared at the second attempt. So, it ain't that tough. Actually, in Engineering, its not about studying hard, but studying smart. If you plan which chapters to prepare and anticipate the repeated questions, you can clear it without too much effort. Sadly, I learnt this too late.

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
I am a below average student just appeared for 12th this year, I think I will not be able to clear Math exam. Just to get my head clear, I want to know what are my options if I fail or get compartment?
If I fail I think I will have to do a diploma, how bad is it to do diploma. I was thinking of doing 3 year diploma that requires class X and then join a engineering college through lateral entry.
Cant shake the feeling of having dark future. Help me guys.

First of all, I am in 12th, so i can understand what you are going thorugh.
Now, you mentioned that you will not be able to clear Math exam. Don't be so sure about it, PM me your attempt and ill tell you if you can clear or not. Moreover CBSE boards are very generous, they won't fail anyone except if the student is getting really really low marks.

Also, you mentioned you wanna go for 3 year diploma. Do you know that this diploma is for 10th class passouts? This diploma is for those who don't do 11th and 12th and then straight out go to college. This means that you are wasting 3 years of your life for this diploma and your 11th and 12th went in vain. Forget about diploma.

Now, if you fail (I would seriously doubt on it, as you would not) , give the compartment paper and try to score good. That will solve most of your problems, if it doesn't i would recommend you to reappear in 12th exam next year (no big deal :) many people do this and have bright future ahead, beter than wasting 3 years in diploma).

Regarding competitions, you can easily get paid/management seats in many colleges and many colleges offer admission on the basis of 12th boards.

Good Luck, PM me if you want any other assistance.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
^Seconded. Engineering is not the be-jesus of degrees anyhow.......

That being said, it is quite heavy on maths. However, that doesn't necessarily mean you will do badly. Wait for the results and see what to do.

OP
rahul_c

rahul_c

Journeyman
I dont want to sit at home for one more year, my dad wont allow me to do so. I had physics, chemistry, math, hindi & english.
What about polytechnic and what is NIOS?
For those saying dont loose hope-I marked myself 20/100.

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
I dont want to sit at home for one more year, my dad wont allow me to do so. I had physics, chemistry, math, hindi & english.
What about polytechnic and what is NIOS?
For those saying dont loose hope-I marked myself 20/100.

I understand that some parents do not like their children "sitting" home for no reason.

Polytechnic? What courses? Please specify.
NIOS is a bad idea IMO (strictly IN MY OPINION).
And how did you rate yourself? According to the marks you're getting?

Now serious advice. I recommend you go for BSc in Computer Science or Information Technology in any fair college. That will totally suffice. Other things depend on your future plans and what does your father do, whether he runs a business or not and many other things. If your father runs a business, you have a choice then. You can work at your family business and help expanding it even further with your latest knowledge, if he does job, then you can go in teaching line after BSc and make your career there. BUT, it's always a bad idea NOT to study. And regretting afterwards is even worse, just sayin.

Also, in boards (CBSE right?) how much did you attempt in Physics Chemistry and Maths? If you don't want to post here, you can PM me, i may be able to help.

Last edited:
OP
rahul_c

rahul_c

Journeyman
^Chemistry was OK, though physics paper (CBSE) was weird this year.
My dad is a engineer, I have not told him about my situation yet.
I am not planning on not doing 12th ever, I can do it next year along with diploma or polytechnic. B. Sc. require 12th & I prefer CS, IT or ECE.

Last edited:

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Well, What makes you feel you are not good in Maths? It's never too late to learn. Internet would be the best resource for you. What you have trouble in? Arithmetic? Algebra? Trigonometry? Calculus? Start from basic addition and multiplication all the way up to 12th.
I recommend you to make a list of topics you feel you are not comfortable with.
In my opinion, a person who can create a thread and communicate with others can very well understand any subject and excel.

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
^Chemistry was OK, though physics paper (CBSE) was weird this year.
My dad is a engineer, I have not told him about my situation yet.
I am not planning on not doing 12th ever, I can do it next year along with diploma or polytechnic. B. Sc. require 12th & I prefer CS, IT or ECE.

Talk to your dad without fear and worries.Like a good friend.He is the best person who can guide and help you out now.Rather than wasting time on forums and internet, its wise you study and work towards your interest/passion.

R2K

In the Zone
.. OMG
I was in same exact position before 5 years. Exactly same situation and thoughts ....!!

IMO..If you are bad at math DON'T go for engineering. Else you will be making threads about failing in math every year. Trust me.
Looking at your aptitude in math it will be like beating yourself up for next 4 years if you choose to go with engg.
Just go for Bsc or BCA (if you are into computers or IT) from a good college and study hard

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I understand that some parents do not like their children "sitting" home for no reason.

Polytechnic? What courses? Please specify.
NIOS is a bad idea IMO (strictly IN MY OPINION).

Can you shed some reason please?

And I must say that, CBSE is not generous in giving marks in maths in 12th. No step marking!

Top Bottom