Plz help me choose latest linux distro for amateurs to dual boot with vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaurav_rip

Broken In
Hello all!!
I m pretty much amateur when it comes to linux but am very much interested in it.
Can sum1 plz guide through choosin a gud linux distro out of the many available to dual boot with vista home premium on my laptop
I have decent graphics solution (9600M GT) so sumthin with great eyecandy and very gud driver support
I m using a HP dv5 1135 laptop
Also if u could plz gimme help on how to actually perform the install for dual boot cause i ve no idea about it.

Amateur as in what ?

if you are the type who is willing to learn a lot, and enjoy doing so, almost any distro will do.
I recommend Slackware or ArchLinux if you are intrested in learning the hard way.

If you have no knowledge on linux, but want to learn a lot, the easier way, I suggest Fedora or DreamLinux.

If you want something easy to use and quite similar to windows, but which may or may not teach you a lot of linux internals, I suggest Linux Mint 6, OpenSuSE 11.1 or Mandriva One Gnome 2009.

If you are on Dialup internet, I suggest Mepis Linux with Xfce, which has most of above features but often has older software because its based on the highly stable and well tested Debian Stable branch, receiving very little software updates and frequent small security updates.

pradeepbp

A human, I use Ubuntu
ubuntu would be a good choice considering the support it has through the large community of users and experts.

Ubuntu, OpenSUSE or Mint.
Please search the forum before posting as this topic has been covered a lot of times before.
Still, happy linuxing! :)

Rahim

Married!
Dont listem to Gautham as he is used to do the hard way without any sweat!!!! [joking :))]

Just go ahead and choose one of these:
Linux Mint 6 (fork of Ubuntu with all non-free stuff already installed by default)
Ubuntu 8.10 (will need internet to download the non-free codecs/flash)
openSUSE 11/11.1
Mandriva 2009.1 ( a very user-freindly distro indeed)

Download thier Live CDs to get the hang of them and after sometimes you will understand one thing: ALL OF THEM WORK THE SAME WAY, MORE OR LESS!!! and thats how the cookie crumbles :)

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
^Why stay away from opensuse & fedora?

My recommendation : Fedora or OpenSUSE or linux mint.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
I whole heartedly suggest you start with Linux Mint 6 ,an out-of-the-box everything distro. It is a total joy to use it especially from a new user's point of view. Once you get accustomed to the procedures of the day-to-day Linux, you can then move out and venture into other Linuses like Fedora, OpenSUSE, Debian etc.

As for the installation, it is quite straight-forward and self explanatory as you start it, though you will need some assistance during the partitioning things. For starters, download the Mint iso from the site, burn it onto a cd and get back to us here. We will then move on with the procedures.

You might also want to read some manuals, docs. etc on the same from the site.

suzy

Working on my Thoughts
Hey buddy, you've got 2 be careful before such posts... Most of replies here would put you in a fix.. It's bcoz different people have different tastes in OS..

Visit the below mentioned website.. There you might take a quiz as to know which distro suits you..
*www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/
That should help you...

^^
On the contrary, (although you have made a valid point), I'd suggest that the thread starter go for the distro that has been mentioned/recommended the most, as maybe, we could be capable of helping out when the need arises.

Exactly. First you need to tell us about YOUR configuration, by answering the following:

1. state your system configuration
2. state if you have any linux using friends
3. what internet do you have ?
4. how much free time do you posess ?
5. do you have any specific purpose with using linux ?
6. do you have a family/friends shared PC ?
7. ever seen a distro in action ?
8. what do you look forward the most by using linux ?
9. what do you expect linux to be like ?

OP
Gaurav_rip

Gaurav_rip

Broken In
I ll start by my config....

1)
Laptop Model:HP dv5 1135ee
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (Centrino 2 ) P8400@2.26 Ghz
Ram:3 GB
GPU: nVidia 9600M GT ( 512 MB dedicated)

2)
Nope i dunno any1 as such whose using linux

3)
I ve to switch btw wifi and wired broadband a lot.

4)
i m a college goin student, so .............abt 2 hrs each day.

5)
Sumthin to suppliment vista and an extension to what vista offers...in short , i want sumthin more than vista

6)
My own Laptop not shared with any1

7)
Yup i ve many actually ....
DSL
Ubuntu
Mint
Edubuntu

8 )
To get a superb interface experience and somethin i can do sum codin on... i d like to modify it to my likin

9)
A little hitch a first but sumthin gud as i work my way around.

Last edited:
Hmm... Fedora appears perfect, atleast to start with. Good looks, easy to learn, yet highly customisable. 2 hours per day is no way little to learn linux. But yeah, you need to spend the first month almost fully online to learn linux.

Anyway, I suggest Fedora Gnome. Its a good first distro for your needs.

Linux Mint, MAndriva, Ubuntu, etc would help you in many places, but since you want good customisability (as in ans#8), and since you like lots of options (ans#9), there is nothing better to start off with.

You can't use Slackware, Gentoo or ArchLinux as a starting distro because the interface as you believe does not even EXIST in the begening. They make great distros to try out after gaining some experience.

Your rig is enough for ANY distro.

OP
Gaurav_rip

Gaurav_rip

Broken In
ok thanks gautham!!!
i ll go with fedora 10

also i know its a little silly but there are MANY downloads available there and i m confused which one to take???
i chkd here (for reference)
i d like to have a full blown -everything included setup
can u gimme a link for a torrent download for a 32-bit system plz??

i also heard about some very cool eye candy available for linux as in some software which like windows+tab is a switchin interface but in sum cube sort of form...
i know i m not makin it very clear but i m tryin best

and another general question
can we install ANY linux package on ANY distro????

lastly if i ve doubt like the last question where should i be postin dem in the forum??? here or sumwhere else????/

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fedora 10 is good choice but you can also try opensuse 11 dvd version
as I am using it since ver 10.3

For Fedora Download This Torrent & Open it with utorrent
*torrent.fedoraproject.org/torrents//Fedora-10-i386-DVD.torrent

opensuse is not customisable enough and its not exactly "light" by nature.
It would make a great migration from Vista, but to LEARN linux ? No thank you.
Its a bad example if you want to learn linux.

ok thanks gautham!!!
i ll go with fedora 10

also i know its a little silly but there are MANY downloads available there and i m confused which one to take???
i chkd here (for reference)
i d like to have a full blown -everything included setup
can u gimme a link for a torrent download for a 32-bit system plz??
*torrent.fedoraproject.org/torrents//Fedora-10-i386-DVD.torrent
i386 is 32-bit (AFAIK), so remember that in future. :)
i also heard about some very cool eye candy available for linux as in some software which like windows+tab is a switchin interface but in sum cube sort of form...
i know i m not makin it very clear but i m tryin best
*gnome-look.org/ (for Gnome Themes)
That eye candy thing you are talking about is Compiz Fusion (formerly known as Beryl)
You can run that only if supported by your system (graphics/RAM wise)
Do tell us your config and we can say if Compiz will run or not.
If you have ATi/nVidia grafix card on your system, you will have to download it's drivers after installing Fedora to use the grafix card (and thus run Compiz)
and another general question
can we install ANY linux package on ANY distro????
As you are new, I'd suggest that you better stick to those packages that are available in the repositories (they will show up in the package manager once you install Fedora)
Like suppose you want to install VLC media player, instead of going to the site and downloading the Linux version, and then compoling/installing it, the package manager will already have VLC media player in the list of packages. Just Search for VLC in the manager, and select it for installation. The manager will download and install everything without any help from you and when its done, VLC is nstalled with just a few clicks and zero effort. :)
(I think the package manager is called "yum".)
lastly if i ve doubt like the last question where should i be postin dem in the forum??? here or sumwhere else????/
[/quote]
Post in the Fedora Forums, if not getting reasonable relpy, the post here, in the Open Source section of TD forum. :)
Happy Linuxing. :D

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Fedora Gnome version, its always good to start with Gnome :p

But back in my stash I would have suggested you to go for Ubuntu as it will make you familiar with Linux first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom