Please recomend a LCD TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
My dad is now thinking of purchasing a LCD TV, I am not exactly sure about the budget, but its less than 35K. He wants a 32" TV to replace our 25" Samsung CRT TV. We currently have a Digital Settop box from Hathway and we are more than happy with the picture quality(MPEG2).

Few questions,
Will 32" be enough to replace our existing 25" TV? or should I go for a bigger TV.

Will I get the same clarity/quality in the LCD TV as compared to my current TV,the signals from the STB is still converted to analog before feeding to the TV.

HD Ready or Full HD?
I read that is the screen size is less than 42" then we wont find any noticable difference between 720p & 1080p. As per my budget we wont be going higher than 32".

Which brand to go for?
Sony, Samsung or LG? any other brands?

Finally .. do these TV's have DVI Inputs in addition to Composite A/V Component and HDMI?

I will also be investing on a Media center CPU so that I can record TV shows, watch HD videos (sushhhh rips :twisted:) and maybe buy a Bluray driver as the prices are comming down and we do get Bluray Discs in the market here in india.

EDIT: Why is there a lot of price difference between HD Ready and Full HD Ldc's of the same size? :confused:

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
1. check samsung series 5 nice models they have and vfm too

2. depends on ur budget u can get a Full HD on 32" too..so check it out.

3. LG got some diwali offer where u get.. dvd player+hdmi+50 movies... check them if u want...

4. Yeas..they do have most connections possible.. but its preferable that u buy one with atleast 2 HDMI connections..good..for a dvd player and a ps3..both at the same time...

5. buy the ps3 as the blu-ray man..and get a blu-ray remote... it will be more than enuff and cost effective.. plus welcome to next gen gaming. :) .... dunno if there are cheap bluray players...

6. yes in india..especially in blore...there are blu-rays

7. the difference in panel res ofcourse is the reason... if u can..buy only a Full HD....if u can afford...

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
* 32" will be enough...

* clarity/quality depends on the signal strength...

* dont go for Full HD (1080p) in the 32" range as it wont be much diff from HD Ready (720p)

* Sony Bravia is popular.. you can also try Samsung and LG

* yeah you will have all kinds of DVI inputs.. HDMI will be there from low range models itself

* going for a standalone bluray player would be costly.. a PS3 would be better

* as for the price difference its obvious, cos of the resolution

you can look at Sony Bravia KLV-32T400A (32" T-Series) MRP is INR 39,900/- but you will get it around 35k from big retailers... (*www.sony.co.in/productcategory/tvp-lcd-tv)

we have a Sony Bravia KLV-32V400A (32" V-Series) that we got for 43k just a week ago.. picture is very bright and crisp.. yet to try any external inputs :D

_

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Thanks for the update guys. :) Most of my doubts are cleared, except selecting a brand and size which would suite my budget.

PS3 is out of question cause im not a gamer and cant use it just as a stand alone player. I require a HTPC which can record TV telecast. but that comes later after we buy the TV :p.

Its time for me and my dad to visit some showrooms :D, Please recomend some more models :)

VarDOS

15.0 GHz
i think.. recently I have seen an offer that give u r old CRT and in replace get a LCD TV for 39k...for 42"...sounds gr8

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
^^ My dad wants to buy one more CRT. :x :p
I just cant make him understand the benefits of LCD. And perhaps for him HD, Widescreen.. dont make a difference. :neutral:

@OP IMO go for Samsung. Dunno why but I find them pretty good and stylish. :D

pushkar

Journeyman
If you buy original BluRay discs, they will have resolution of 1920x1080 (known as 1080p). There is also 720p (1280x720).

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Will 32" be enough to replace our existing 25" TV? or should I go for a bigger TV.
Depends upon ur viewing distance....do 1 thing go 2 the sony's offcial website & select the area u have in ur home for viewing..then automatically they will show u the TV dat fits in ur selection criteria...:D

Will I get the same clarity/quality in the LCD TV as compared to my current TV,the signals from the STB is still converted to analog before feeding to the TV.
LCD TV >>>>>>>> CRT TV

HD Ready or Full HD?
Full HD anyday....:D

As per my budget we wont be going higher than 32".
Then buy it....:rolleyes:

Which brand to go for?
Sony, Samsung or LG? any other brands?
Budget Wise:
1.Samsung
2.LG
3.Sony
Quality Wise:
1.Sony
2.Samsung
3.LG

Finally .. do these TV's have DVI Inputs in addition to Composite A/V Component and HDMI?
Yes.

EDIT: Why is there a lot of price difference between HD Ready and Full HD Ldc's of the same size? :confused:

1080 - 720 = 360 :cool:

Ya..so much of difference in terms of both picture quality,etc etc...:arrow:

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
^^^^
nice points... but in the sony website they will recommend 40" as the minimum for the living room :p but 32" is well enough :D

and he has a budget around 35k so full hd is a tight call

_

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
^^^^
nice points... but in the sony website they will recommend 40" as the minimum for the living room :p but 32" is well enough :D

and he has a budget around 35k so full hd is a tight call

:cool: Frankly speaking..i never saw a LCD or Plama display demo....i've only seen
HDTV from Samsung in 2006 dat also in XBOX 360 promos in a shop..& was very much impressed by its picture quality.....the price was 40k for dat TV...
but damm sure dat quality cant b compared with 1080p Full HD...
wating 2 see the xact picture someday...:razz:

Ya...35k for a Full HD is very tight call...:-|

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Thanks for you replies. I will check out some models (TV Models :D ) and let you know.

Last edited:
OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
BTW What abt Plasma TV's? LG has some low priced Plasma TV , 32" going for 30K + some goodies

Last edited:

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
plasma is old tech... search for 'plasma vs LCD' you will get a LOT of comparisons... read the recent ones :D you will get a good idea

generally people going for extreme sizes (like 70" 80" etc) go for plasmas as they cost significantly less than the LCD counterparts of the same size

_

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
Charan said:
BTW What abt Plasma TV's? LG has some low priced Plasma TV , 32" going for 30K + some goodies
Though thats a pretty good offer, I'd stay away from cheap Plasmas. Cheap LCDs and Cheap Plasmas have different stories.. :neutral:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom