Please help me in buying speakers

Just like to add my two cents here.

I was also searching for good quality 2.1 system for couple of months. I searched a lot on the net, and called numerous vendors in Pune and Mumbai. But sadly good brands that I was searching for were not available at local store anywhere(like Audioengine(A2 and A5), Behringer, M-audio(AV40 and Bx5A), Swans, Klipsch). So online purchase was my only option.

I came across Edifier and was generally impressed with the reviews. However, note that there very few reviews available. Many are in foreign languages.

So finally, after much contemplating, I ordered Edifier S530 on Flipkart. Note that this same model was available on infibeam some days back, price was 1k lesser :(

I have ordered today and waiting for them. Will try to answer questions if any(about the research done or otherwise).

OP
V

vikythecaptain

Broken In
I am trying all the sources available to get Edifier s530, I am not interested in used speakers...I saw they are available in flipkart right now, but the price is listed as 11K. Is it a good deal, coz I guess it is the only option left right now. But I am ready to wait for a better deal if possible. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it...:)

I am planning to connect my TV to Speakers using 3.5mm Jack (Or should I connect it with RCA from STB?) is it fine doing so? any suggestions, will it work that way? I guess if I connect the speakers using 3.5 mm output from TV, no need to toggle the inputs of speakers when I play PS3 right?

harshatiyya

Broken In
Edifier S530 Speaker Price India, Edifier S530 Speaker Review, Edifier Speaker India - Infibeam.com

Edifier S530 | Speaker | Flipkart.com

260 rs may not be much of a difference.. i think there are some icici vouchers to get additional 150 rs off or so in infibeam..

good luck with yer purchace, :D

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Just like to add my two cents here.

I was also searching for good quality 2.1 system for couple of months. I searched a lot on the net, and called numerous vendors in Pune and Mumbai. But sadly good brands that I was searching for were not available at local store anywhere(like Audioengine(A2 and A5), Behringer, M-audio(AV40 and Bx5A), Swans, Klipsch). So online purchase was my only option.

I came across Edifier and was generally impressed with the reviews. However, note that there very few reviews available. Many are in foreign languages.

So finally, after much contemplating, I ordered Edifier S530 on Flipkart. Note that this same model was available on infibeam some days back, price was 1k lesser :(

I have ordered today and waiting for them. Will try to answer questions if any(about the research done or otherwise).

you could've got the audioengines or the m-audio av40 from bajaao, online or offline, as well as swans from the official distributor ;)

I am trying all the sources available to get Edifier s530, I am not interested in used speakers...I saw they are available in flipkart right now, but the price is listed as 11K. Is it a good deal, coz I guess it is the only option left right now. But I am ready to wait for a better deal if possible. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it...:)

I am planning to connect my TV to Speakers using 3.5mm Jack (Or should I connect it with RCA from STB?) is it fine doing so? any suggestions, will it work that way? I guess if I connect the speakers using 3.5 mm output from TV, no need to toggle the inputs of speakers when I play PS3 right?

as suggested by harsh above, you could try some discount coupon for infibeam and get the speakers for cheaper.

for connection, any which way you want! though i would suggest you to use analog connections to the STB, or analog to TV. you could use a co-axial cable to connect the speakers to PS3 permanently, & keep switching between TV output & PS3 output as & when required (ie, through RCA to TV/STB, and via co-axial to PS3).

High-Fidelity

Journeyman
@vikythecaptain

Hey, I am amazed when brand like Swans is available in India so why are you going for Edifier?
Since investment in speakers is a rare OR one time investment so you should go with Swans M20W. I know it's slightly above your budget but you will get the much better quality. Swans will give you better layering, better details, better bass quality over edifier or logitech.

IMHO you should definitely go with Swans

you could've got the audioengines or the m-audio av40 from bajaao, online or offline, as well as swans from the official distributor ;)

Well actually yes, but AV40 are too flat(or analytical) according to many. Plus the cost was 10k(now its down to 8k :( ) A5 is too costly(around 15k) and A2 seems too small.
This is my first encounter with mid-end speakers so wanted a system with subwoofer and tweeters and good volume. No other combination offers this(on paper i.e.)

I did consider swans, M20 was good option. But final cost is much higher(adds around 1300rs) as tax gets added. Plus, woofer is not that great and it lacks tweeters, also its powered and not an active system. So was kind of disappointed with overall high cost and less features of the package. Though, SQ might be higher than S530 to some extent.

Getting 2.0 and adding sub latter could have been an option. But good subs are too costly. junglee.com and some other sites have JBL, polk audio, BIC, velodyne subwoofers, but none of them is below 15k. So overall package cost goes to upwards of 20k. S530 offered a nice balance IMO.

PS - I am not hijacking the thread but adding this because it might help the OP and others to decide better. Please let me know if anybody thinks otherwise.

MegaMind

Human Spambot
^So does any of the above discussed speakers have this capability?

Nope.. Most speakers with digital connec. will have both digi. & analog connections..

Did u check the shop i mentioned in ritchie st. ?
Also check sethia infotech.. If they both didn't have that model, you have to go online.. If going for flipkart, always prefer cash on delivery..

Connect the speakers to TV so that you need not switch between STB & console.. You can also use the RCA o/p of STB to speakers w/o any problem..

you could use a co-axial cable to connect the speakers to PS3 permanently, & keep switching between TV output & PS3 output as & when required (ie, through RCA to TV/STB, and via co-axial to PS3).

co-axial connections are not avail. in S530.. They are present in S530d which is not avail. in India..

S530 has 2 analog o/p so that OP can connect one to TV & the other to a music source like ipod/mobile, etc.

co-axial connections are not avail. in S530.. They are present in S530d which is not avail. in India..

S530 has 2 analog o/p so that OP can connect one to TV & the other to a music source like ipod, etc.

Technically, yes, as D is supposed to denote 'digital' and what is listed on Flipkart is S530 and not S530D. D model has toslink or optical connection and coaxial which is digital.

Site description says "Other Features: Optical Input, Coaxil Input". As could be seen from the spelling, they have not paid much attention to detail and this model might as well be having digital input(also note that almost all reviews were with D model, so I wonder if non digital model is now available). Even edifier site does not distinguish between D/non D model on their site. So there is high possibility that one thats listed on flipkart and one that I ordered has digital inputs.

Compuage is the official distributor in India for Edifier. When I contacted them, they said that S530 is discontinued, and though many other sites have Edifiers, S530 is not available. Hence I rushed and bought this. Hope that this does not go Logitech Z2300 and AL Mx5021 way and bites sudden death in spite of good demand and quality.

Will confirm and update about the inputs if speakers arrive quickly and OP is still searching for it.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker

S530 has 2 analog o/p so that OP can connect one to TV & the other to a music source like ipod/mobile, etc.

as suspected. infibeam's posted a video where the box reads S530/S530D. i thought may be now we get only one S530 with specs as in the video. another step-motherly treatment with india :p

@ viky - follow megamind's advice on connections

as suspected. infibeam's posted a video where the box reads S530/S530D. i thought may be now we get only one S530 with specs as in the video. another step-motherly treatment with india :p

@ viky - follow megamind's advice on connections

Are you sure? I think I noticed a coaxial jack(yellow color) in that vid!

OP
V

vikythecaptain

Broken In
Hi MegaMind,

I have checked with the shops you have mentioned, no luck...:(, now I can see it is available only in Flipkart...I am going to buy it there tomorrow, as you suggested I will go for cash on delivery option. Thank you everyone for your inputs and time, I really appreciate it. I am glad that I found Thinkdigit forum, you guys are the best......:), I mean we are the best....:)

OP
V

vikythecaptain

Broken In
Hi all,

After 3 days of my order in flipkart, they mailed me Edifier s530 is not available! I am totally irritated but it is for good. I am extending my budget to 15k, could you guys please let me know that the Swans m20w are really worth the 14k?..In specification I find their Satellites doesn't have tweeters and only 3" woofers, is it OK?...if it is OK from you guys I am placing an order today. Or should I also consider any bookshelves speakers, which are decent in movies and great for music....any suggestion will be appreciated. Thank you....

High-Fidelity

Journeyman
Hi all,

After 3 days of my order in flipkart, they mailed me Edifier s530 is not available! I am totally irritated but it is for good. I am extending my budget to 15k, could you guys please let me know that the Swans m20w are really worth the 14k?..In specification I find their Satellites doesn't have tweeters and only 3" woofers, is it OK?...if it is OK from you guys I am placing an order today. Or should I also consider any bookshelves speakers, which are decent in movies and great for music....any suggestion will be appreciated. Thank you....

Go with the Swans eyes closed. The sub-woofer of Swans M20-W is a sealed enclosure sub-woofer for the very dynamic, very tight and very punchy bass. As far as tweeter is concerned so the Swans M20W's satellites has frequency response upto 20kHz which is nothing short of great without having tweeter.

On the other hand, Edifier has ported sub AFAIK. If we talk about quality bass response here so Sealed sub has much smoother, tight, punchy, musical bass, and natural bass response than the ported sub.

If you go in the market for buying just a sub-woofer alone so people prefer sealed sub as it has the more dynamic bass response with much tighter low end and sealed sub's are very very musical.

Same thing happened to me. I reminded them about the order after waiting for 5 days, and now they say that its not available!

@High-Fidelity,
Why are you supporting Swan brand so much? I suspect that you have some relation with swans brand, if so please explain.

I am also in the same dilemma now.
Swans is good brand by forum opinions, however their presence in India and and even abroad is very small. Search for swans videos/reviews and you will find only couple of official reviews or videos. They are not even listed on amazon US site. There is no real reason to support Swan so aggressively than Edifier as such(also consider the cost difference).

I am going to wait for some time for Edifier s530 as of now, unless some other good 2.1 system turns up.

OP
V

vikythecaptain

Broken In
@theredcommando I don't have any doubts on the swans brand, they are good. They create very high priced sound systems in the range of lakhs....they are also worlds 2nd largest driver's manufacturer, even their multimedia speakers are good. Only thing they are now owned by a Chinese company hivi, so people in US doesn't prefer them mostly and that is the reason we can't find much reviews. This I came to know from extensive online research.

Top Bottom