Please help me in buying speakers

Hi all,

I am not that good in technology but I do some research online. Right now I have a basic confusion, pls try to clarify as it is bugging me a lot lately. I watch many movies, I am a big movie buff, I have quiet a lot of Blu ray collection. And I am equally a great fan of music (I just love listening to music all day sometimes), I do little console gaming. I am right now confused whether to get a 2.1 speaker or 5.1 speaker...I have a medium size bedroom, where I would like to do the setup on my LCD TV. My budget is 10 K to 11 K. And no importing stuffs, it should be available in India or online Indian dealers/ online shopping. Pls suggest me the best speaker set for me, with all my criteria in consideration. I will be very grateful for your help.

Thanks,
Vignesh

gameranand

Living to Play
For movies and games 5.1 is better and for music 2.1 is better. As your priorities are movies so get 5.1 speakers from logitech or eudifier.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
if you are not the one who 'analyses music by peeling off its layers' while listening to it, then you have several options in the 5.1 category, as listed below (otherwise if you ARE the one as described above, you need to head the 2.0/2.1 route):

* Edifier DA5000PRO DA 5000 PRO Powerful Home Theater Wireless Remote Speakers | eBay
(i personally have these, & they offer a very satisfying sonic boom for an explosive gaming/movie session or even for a somewhat sublime music experience. tough to find them locally, but try nonetheless to do so. otherwise buy from the link.)

* F&D Home theatre 5.1 Speaker System F-6000 | eBay
(very close to the above set. can be had for ~6.5k from 'more' shopping mall, or else, buy from this link.)

* Computer Speakers price, Buy Edifier C6 Multimedia Speaker, PC Speakers Review - Infibeam.com
(not auditioned personally, but a new entrant. bit less in power, but have read that the performance is very good. can be found locally too, else buy from the link. infibeam is a reliable portal.)

* Z906-Logitech 5.1 Speaker System, Surround Sound(THX certified) 2 yrs warranty | eBay
(again, not auditioned personally, but according to forum-members, this is a very good system too. was available for about 13k till sometime back from the same seller on ebay. first check local price. must be quite lesser. else, you can contact this seller through ebay & try to get it at a lower price off ebay. this is not recommended, but one of our forum-members had done so & had got the speakers in pristine condition.)

another link for Z906 on ebay with a cheaper price-tag --> Z906-Logitech 5.1 Speaker System, Surround Sound(THX certified) 2 yrs warranty | eBay

OP
V

vikythecaptain

Broken In
Thank you guys for your replies and recommendation, now I got a sense of it...your posts were very helpful. Can I get some suggestions on 2.1 systems as well, for me the sound quality is more important than the volume (I am not a bass junkie or a audiophile) and considering my room size, I must also take a look at my options on 2.1 systems...:). My max budget is 11K...:|

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
@OP, if you connect a 5.1 to your TV, you will get only stereo o/p..

Perhaps he plans to use the speakers coupled to the console(s)/blu-ray player.

Thank you guys for your replies and recommendation, now I got a sense of it...your posts were very helpful. Can I get some suggestions on 2.1 systems as well, for me the sound quality is more important than the volume (I am not a bass junkie or a audiophile) and considering my room size, I must also take a look at my options on 2.1 systems...:). My max budget is 11K...:|

in that case, firstly i would suggest you to look up a review done by a fellow-member here 'sarath', on logitech Z623. here, have a look:

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/audio/145533-logitech-z623-unboxing.html

another in-depth review:

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/reviews/135387-logitech-z-623-true-successor-logitech-z-2300-a.html

secondly, don't know if you've heard about 'swans'. its a brand of speakers, with some very good & acclaimed speaker systems in the budget as well top-end categories, & may definitely have a couple of good 2.1s in your budget & suited to your needs. check the below website:

"Welcome to HiFiNage" - The Only Online Store to buy Swans HiVi Speakers in India

its not a very old portal. its based in gwalior, & they ship products to locations all over the country. the owner is a nice chap to talk to, and is quite knowledgeable a person & an enthusiast like most of us. he too could certainly guide you well on what you should buy as per your requirements. if am not wrong, he is probably the official distributor of 'swans' in India. he is present as a seller on another tech-forum named 'techenclave', but i don't know his username there. also, don't forget to check some reviews on these speakers. the internet has quite a number of them. for eg, like this:

Swans M200 MKIII (this review isn't directly related to your needs or budget too, since this model is most probably still not available in India, & might be a bit expensive if its here now. but the review certainly would give an insight into this brand & its products for a person new to the name).

my guess is that there are some other good 2.1 systems too that fall under your budget, from other brands. contact 'megamind' above to know more about this.

Last edited:

MegaMind

Human Spambot
@OP, There are not many options in 2.1s for 11K.. Z623 is your best bet..

As GhorMaanas mentioned, Swans make an exclusive set of speakers but a bit pricey.

Swans M20W - 12K a bit over your budget but the sound reproduction is detailed n sweet..

Z623 on the other hand is a powerful unit, makes your room shake with bass but not as crisp n clear as swans..

OP
V

vikythecaptain

Broken In
Hi,

Thank you for all the recommendations, I am interested in Swans M20W even though it streches my limit a bit. Where I can get those speakers??

OP
V

vikythecaptain

Broken In
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation@Ghormanaas.....:)
I am going to buy Swans M20W, if not available I may have to get logitech z623, thank you all for the help....:)

MegaMind

Human Spambot
S530 is a great set, last i checked ~9.8K in chennai..

But the edifier dealer in chennai told they are discontinued in India..

@vikythecaptain,

1. Swans M20W
2. Edidier S530 (if you can find one)
3. logitech Z623

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
@ viky - my pleasure :)
Swans M20W can be had directly from the distributor here:

HiFiNage

another cheaper alternative for you in Swans could be the Swans M10. a short review on them:

Swans M10 Speakers Review

if you live at Mumbai, or have someone here who could ship speakers to you, then call up the following two and inquire about the Edifier S530:

1. Sahiba Infotech (official Edifier distributors)

2. Alfa - 02226704344; 02226719696 (they don't have a website, but this shop has a high chance of having a stock of Edifier S530, or even any other speaker that you might want, at really killer prices. for eg, i got my Edifier DA5000 Pro from them when it was unavailable at almost everywhere in India, even at places where it is in stock now, and the official Edifier distributors had turned down my request citing discontinuation of the product. and i got them at a superb price of 8.2k, alongwith warranty & duly signed & stamped warranty card & invoice, when it was being quoted for 13-14k, by that erstwhile shady seller we all know by the 'dreaded' name of - Lynx :p).

Some other shops/markets:

1. Golchha IT (Bengaluru)

2. Ritchie Street at Chennai. sorry, dont know shops' names, but there are certain shops which can help you with edifier there. keep this as last option. if you need, later on i could help you with some shops' names there by trying to find it through friends.

Last edited:
OP
V

vikythecaptain

Broken In
@Ghormaanas Swans M20W were really tempting but with tax and shipping it will go way beyond my budget. Swans M10 looks great, but I dont think it will be good for movies. So, I have to go for Edifier s530 or logitech z623. I am living in Chennai, so if you could provide the shop name in Ritchie street I will check them out for availability of Edifier. I have never purchased a product from dealers away from my city (Online shopping is familiar), is it safe to buy it from the dealers in other state? How can we track it?

MegaMind

Human Spambot
Why so? STBs do provide 5.1 output (HD channels also).

In that case you have to connect the speakers to STB & if OP has to connect a console, he have to switch the speakers to console...

I am living in Chennai, so if you could provide the shop name in Ritchie street I will check them out for availability of Edifier. I have never purchased a product from dealers away from my city (Online shopping is familiar), is it safe to buy it from the dealers in other state? How can we track it?

When it comes to Z623 vs S530, ask yourself whether you need a door rattling heavy bass or well defined room filling bass+clear satellites..

Check samta infotech in KAJ plaza, ritchie st. for edifier..

OP
V

vikythecaptain

Broken In
@Megamind Definitely I need room filling good sound quality with stable punchy bass. I bet then Edifier s530 would be my best choice, I will checkout the shop you have mentioned. I called some Ritchie street dealers, some dont have the stock others never heard the brand name before...:-?

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
@ viky - good choice you've made there! half the battle finished. now onto another tedious half :)

call up sahiba infotech or contact edifier through their india website to know about dealers in chennai. otherwise if you are open to purchasing a used set, then check this thread:

For Sale : Audio Hardware Speakers 2.1: Edifier S530

the seller has written he won't be able to ship it, but if you could persuade him somehow, may be he would be ready to do so.

another option is to contact this person:

Edifier S530/S530D, Others, Speakers, New Delhi, IndiaIThub.com

try at the place megamind has suggested above. meanwhile, i have asked a friend of mine to come up with the shop name at ritchie street with edifier speakers. let's wait for his reply.

also contact golchhait.com. they generally keep the edifier speakers. if they dont have the S530 currently, they may get it for you shortly. they are a reliable lot. infact, you would be pleasantly surprised upon opening the package if suppose they have those speakers and they deliver one set to you ;)
i had purchased a product from them, and yet to leave feedback here. damn! good that i recalled now. will do it in a day or two.

also, if you still find yourself in doubt about the speakers at any point of time, to help quash those doubts, give a read to this thread here:

Speakers comparison - Page #9

the author is a very knowledgeable person, and has a couple of reviews on TDF too, by the same username. so you can rest assured that what he writes can't be taken lightly.

Top Bottom