Playstation 3 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
If you show both to me in a 1080p display, yes I can tell you the difference.
:confused:

1080i has higher resolution, but the quality between the two almost the same.
so then in that terms even a 1080p=720p with no virtual difference if your opinion.:D

That's because they've paid for the 360, and haven't yet seen 1080p.
Gee! I did not pay for the console heck I didn't even buy it but still I have the same feeling as them & why is that? Is it beacause I am a MS fanboy? Nah! I am a game admirer & I can vouch for Gears Of Wars credibilty given any day.Plus have you personally seen progressive mode in action in comparison to the interlaced mode neck-to-neck?

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
^^

PS3 hasn't yet been utilized for the fullest. But the future games for the PS3 will be much better for the PS3. And yes, PS3 is not twice as powerful -- it is thrice as powerful.

PS3 indeed offers a better value for money, especially considering that a standalone blu-ray drive costs more than the PS3 itself while PS3 is much more advanced. I also agree that Sony should have a cheaper edition for PS3.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
^No doubt that PS3 is indeed a powerful console.Nor do I disagree to the fact that the current generation of it's launch titles have not done justice to it's full power but let's get something straight the 1080p thing is a big marketing gimick IMO.With the launch of Gears of War,the unreal 3 engine had demonstrated what is the potential power of the Xbox 360 as well which was way better compared to any current game on the grid.Hence you can't really underestimate any consoles strength at the moment.

Even PS3 will have it's share of exciting titles in the future.Take Lair,MGS4 & Grand Turismo HD.With the release if Motor Storm in it's first generation of titles list,PS3 had upped the bar for the graphic experience.So you can imagine what this year will have instore for us.

And if you come to the price-to-performace ratio,then there is no denying that the Xbox 360 is the way to go.

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
I'm not saying that X360 is bad, but it's wrong when you say that the 360 has a better price-to-performace ratio.

Just think of what PS3 gives you - think of the processor, the optical dive, and other tech specs. You'll find out that PS3 offers a better value for money.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
nepcker said:
Just think of what PS3 gives you - think of the processor, the optical dive, and other tech specs. You'll find out that PS3 offers a better value for money.
At present if you ask me then yes the Xbox 360 does give you the best value for money.Plus it has a better library of titles.Paying 40k for a console which hardly has any comptitive titles at the moment is very bad deal IMO.I would better stick with 360 for 27k & have better titles under my belt till the PS3 cuts short it's price.Plus the current 360 titles have a greater edge over PS3 line up.With the introduction of the Black edition of 360 with higher capacity HDD(120GB) well you could very well expect a price cut to the current console.Hence at this point atleast I feel the Xbox 360 has better value for money factor.Buying a console which has Blu-ray player but no availibilty of Blu-ray titles in India is again a let down.What good is a hardware when the stuff to utilise it isn't there? :D

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
I hate "Wii".

Not the console, but the name. I prefer to call it Nintendo Revolution.

It's great too - better than the 360, which has zero motion-sensitivity.

amitava82

MMO Addict
Just wait n watch till developers fully utilize PS3's raw power... And initially every device costs a bomb because of development cost. e.g., Just look at a graphics cards, how much they cost when they r released new in the market.

fortebuster

Broken In
amitava82 said:
Just wait n watch till developers fully utilize PS3's raw power... And initially every device costs a bomb because of development cost. e.g., Just look at a graphics cards, how much they cost when they r released new in the market.

Considering the massive cost involved, only a handful (coughEAcough) will be able to devote that much detail to a game. And we know how much 'detail' EA gives to a game...

amitava82

MMO Addict
If EA don't want to do then someone else will do. Technology never stops. Its a human nature, We never satisfied with what we have. When I first Played Doom 3 I was blown away with its graphics but after seeing Crysis, DOOM looks like a child... See? its a matter of time.

T

thunderbird.117

fortebuster said:
Considering the massive cost involved, only a handful (coughEAcough) will be able to devote that much detail to a game. And we know how much 'detail' EA gives to a game...

I agree. That is why most PS3 exclusive is dropping. There will be a time when MGS and other PS3 exclusives comes to PC and other consoles such has wii.

K

krazyfrog

I really wish PS3 will get some great games soon, ones that'll make good use of its incredible hardware. It feels sad to see it in its current condition. Its like seeing a Buggati Veyron driving around on low octane fuel. The XBOX 360 is a great console with good hardware, excellent games and is priced just right. Despite being a hardcore Sony and PlayStation fan, if right now i'd to choose between PS3 and 360, i'll select the latter (as many people are doing). After all for a die hard gamer, everything else (brand loyalty included) comes second. The Nintendo Wii is plain trash, right from the name to the console and the stupid controller and is hardly a 'next-gen' console. My PS2 is much better in comparison. Atleast i haven't broken my tv screen or any one's head with it till now.

T

thunderbird.117

krazyfrog said:
I really wish PS3 will get some great games soon, ones that'll make good use of its incredible hardware. It feels sad to see it in its current condition. Its like seeing a Buggati Veyron driving around on low octane fuel. The XBOX 360 is a great console with good hardware, excellent games and is priced just right. Despite being a hardcore Sony and PlayStation fan, if right now i'd to choose between PS3 and 360, i'll select the latter (as many people are doing). After all for a die hard gamer, everything else (brand loyalty included) comes second. The Nintendo Wii is plain trash, right from the name to the console and the stupid controller and is hardly a 'next-gen' console. My PS2 is much better in comparison. Atleast i haven't broken my tv screen or any one's head with it till now.

Creating a PS3 game with full power will cost a trillion of dollars to make and plus they would charge one game nearly 5000RS or 80$ and plus game developers are avoiding those type of cost. That is the main reason why Capcom decided that DMC 4 should not be exclusive same thing goes for assassin creed.

K

krazyfrog

^^ OK so not full power game but they can atleast create something that is better than the current pathetic lot. But still i don't quiet get the link between not creating a full power game and DMC4 going multi platform.

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
@nepcker: Quit bashing MS all over the forum. Everyone very well knows that your current tirade against 360 is only because its from the MS stable. I don't mind you going against Windows and trumpeting up Apple but please keep this anti-MS sentiment out of Gamerz section. Arya and GX are the two casulaities and I dont want you to join the list as a the third one.

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
Prove it.
Xbox 360 has a 3-core procesor. PS3 has nine. Hence proved.

Quit bashing MS all over the forum. Everyone very well knows that your current tirade against 360 is only because its from the MS stable. I don't mind you going against Windows and trumpeting up Apple but please keep this anti-MS sentiment out of Gamerz section. Arya and GX are the two casulaities and I dont want you to join the list as a the third one.
I'm not "bashing MS all over the forum". I'm not saying 360 is inferior coz it's from MS. I always go for the superior. If you ask me whether you should go for the Xbox or PS2, I'll suggest you to go for the Xbox, as it's better. But PS3 is more technologically advanced. So I'm in Sony's side.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
nepcker said:
Xbox 360 has a 3-core procesor. PS3 has nine. Hence proved.

Haha, that proves your knowledge about both consoles. PS3's cell procesor has 8 cores, out of which one disabled to increase yields one is reserved for OS and security functions, this leaves only 6 SPE's for the games, and there is more to it if you google(deciding by number of cores is not the best way to judge). You don't know how 360 is superior to PS3 in some cases and how PS3 is ahead in some, still you make such claims abt power of the console.

nepcker said:
If you ask me whether you should go for the Xbox or PS2, I'll suggest you to go for the Xbox, as it's better.

Better console is not decided by how powerful is it compared to the rival. Choosing Xbox over PS2 shows that judging consoles for you is limited only to the specs. Xbox was not bad at all ,but it was not PS2.

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
In india the popularity of consoles depends on how fast the pirated games are available.. Bluray discs are too costly compared to normal dvds hence the pirated games ll be costlier.. 360 games r available at around 200rs.. So while ps3 is more powerful than 360.. Its nowhere near 360 in terms of sales.. Not now.. Not ever..

faraaz

Evil Genius
Also, games these days being similar in terms of graphics and complexity on both the Xbox 360 and the PS3 are because of developers not taking advantage of the PS3 fully rather than a testament of the Xbox 360's technical prowess.

Apart from that, I believe that the PS3 is way ahead of its time...it will need about a year or two to mature fully and have developers catch up to it in terms of utilizing the hardware to maximum efficiency.

For instance, I remember the initial launch titles for the PS2 and compared to the graphics in games being released nowadays on the PS2, there's been a world of difference! But then again, the hardware platform is exactly the same as before. Case in point - FFX's in game graphics as against the gorgeous eye candy that is FFXII!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom