Status
Not open for further replies.

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
microsoft is providing visual studio and other dev product @ free to developers and student.
visual studio express edition, visual web studio, sql server express edition,
etc with free dev videos.

T

thunderbird.117

47shailesh said:
^^ Dude most(fair to say all) companies execpt one working on Mainframes are based on ur stated products. Companies generate there revenue on these

that's why there overpriced is fair enough

From what i have seen in companies when it comes to critical applications they hardly use microsoft products.

gaurav_indian

CG Artist
Desi-Tek.com said:
microsoft is providing visual studio and other dev product @ free to developers and student.
visual studio express edition, visual web studio, sql server express edition,
etc with free dev videos.
Yeah thats for learner but not for professionals.And learner edition lacks some features.

OP
chicha

chicha

High without substance...
I do not think the options which are not included will be missed by most of the casual users.

OP
chicha

chicha

High without substance...
today i asked my lecturer if he would help me conducting a program where we would ask the students to try some of the user friendly linuxs, but no one is intrested. Most of them do not have the proper attitude.
But i am still going to try.

I wish some one here will also try it, all you need some supporting lecturer or even a small strength of students to do this.
show how the government is getting effected by the piracy and some pep talk. It should work to some extent.

are.you.nuts312

Right off the assembly line
I totally disagree with you.
If you really think that originals are expesive, then u can use open source.
And if you think that linux wont suit you, then what,s wrong in spending Rs 5000 for an original copy of windows and for other tools, u can use freeware as most software have equally good or even better alternatives.

xbonez

NP : Crysis
i don't think bringing costs down will help. take the exxample of windows xp pro. it sells for around rs 10000+ but the pirated ones are available for rs 100 or so. however much microsoft brings down costs, they can't get it down to rs 100 :). and we indians will always buy the cheapest. i'm sure if original xp starts selling for rs500, still most people will go in for the pirated one to save rs400 (i think that would even include me)

Shasanka_Gogoi

In the zone
All this really make me sick and from about a year and a half now, I have been using free software for my purpose, I would even have gone for linux but didn't since I had a branded PC with Media Center Installed and it ain't pirated
I feel that if one buys a branded PC with an OS of his choice and expertise installed than he can easily opt for freeware solutions later on.

What I find here in our place is that, most(read all) of the HARDWARE engineers keep a bunch of CD's with them that have all the essential softwares that one would need and then go about installing them in every PC that they repair, assemble,etc. And no prizes for guesing that all those are pirated softwares.

If they would go about distributing freeware than I feel and I know that piracy could have been curbed down to a great extent atleast here in this part of the country!

People should be made aware of piracy like they do of AIDS. And we at this forum will be always their to stop piracy in INDIA. (Atleast I am!)

raghuraj1menon

Right off the assembly line
I don't believe in piracy. However circumstances force me to be a pirate. My favourite artists are Linkin Park, BeeGees, Pink Floyd etc. My favourite OS is Windows. But I can't afford them. I am not well-monied. My father is not sitting on a gold mine. So what do I do? I go to piratesbay and download everything I need. I know I am wrong. But nothing can be done. Nothing can beat Windows till now (sorry open source lovers). After all the comfort I experience with Windows just cannot be experienced in Linux. And believe me, I have tried loads of Linux distros. You can say I am almost an Windows Addict.
And even if I use Linux as an alternative how do I recreate the magic of the Beatles or Linkin Park.
But recently I was quite surprised to hear about Moser Baer's effort to reduce piracy by pricing CD's and DVD's for almost 28 Rs and 28 Rs respectively. Well Done Moser Baer.

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
raghuraj1menon said:
But recently I was quite surprised to hear about Moser Baer's effort to reduce piracy by pricing CD's and DVD's for almost 28 Rs and 28 Rs respectively. Well Done Moser Baer.

DVD is Rs. 34 , and they offers only old films like Bazigar.....

keanu_reeves

Broken In
moser baer dvd 34 Rs. & vcd 28 Rs. now this will curb piracy

Munna Bhai MBBS is also available on moser

and this is just for starters

and when microsoft is stopping support for windows XP from the next year can we accept its price to be 34 rupees or 28 rupees. u still have to shell out big moolah to get a original windows 98

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
to stop OS piracy do what apple's doing. tie the OS to ur hardware. actually something like this is been happening in the mobile computing segment. until a few months ago, laptop manuf. used to bundle OS with the laptop. so users had no choice but to pay for the OS, whether they like it or not. this is something good (as in to minimise piracy) and also bad (as it takes away user's choice and money if they are not willing)

even i think, bringing down costs will help. we do not want companies to bring down the costs of apps like MS office, photoshop, maya etc. (there are many free alternatives which give u most of the features) but yes, drop the cost of the windows os (sure, there is linux anyday too! :) )

karmanya

Journeyman
i must confess that while writing this i am using a pirated version of Microsoft XP pro. I use a pirated ms office to write my school projects and the occasional articles for digit. I use a pirated version of CS2 to edit all my pictures.
I am the average Indian computer user. I simply cannot afford the original version of software. I have considered switching to opensource/freeware and like most techies i even installed open office. However some 6 weeks later i switched back to Microsoft. The fact is most open source or freeware cannot compare to microsoft. have u ever compared impress to powerpoint? or calc to exel? believe me there is no comparison. Microsoft is better in every way. Gimp i think is the only piece of opensource/freeware that deserves a place in every computer. Plus can you find me an OS which gives the usability and flexibility of microsoft XP? People say switch to Linux, this maybe easy for people with indivual computers, they are free to do whatever they want they need not consider others. sure i can switch to linux and even function as well as i could with windows after a week or so but what about my mom,dad and sister? they are not savvy at all. I doubt my sister knows what linux is. Therefore unless i miraculously become a lot richer or companies reduce thier prices considerably i will continue to remain a pirate.
A lot of people say piracy is bad. But i would like to say "no one wants to be a pirate circumstances force us to be one"
and to everyone who asks me to switch to opensource i respectfully say "up yours"

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
I'm not going into the comparison part coz I don't have the time for it rt now!

U know telling them what linux is, isn't important. At home, I never told them what Linux is or what to do with it. They just saw me things on a "different looking windows". They often complained, that this virus has got into windows, blue screen got while playing a game. But they never saw anything like that when I used to do my task on "different looking windows". Sometimes windows used to blow up because of its infections, over fiddling with system files/registry hacks that mah bro used to do or some "unknown causes" that left me scratching my head! Often the case was that I didn't have the time to rectify the problems, so I told them to work on that "diff. looking windows".

Once, For a week I had exams and nobody complained that they cudn't do this and that, as listening to music, watching movies, browsing the net and making/printing document is all they did. I already told them to browse the applications menu and use wateva they liked. Though my bro. complained about games, but he didn't shout much. He often appreciated and liked mplayer/xine over WMP as they played movie dvd ISOs directly and took a lot a less time to open and play any video/movie. That was fedora core and now my bro loves customising things with beryl on UBuntu on another computer. Installing is as easy as windows as he needed to know the meaning of only the root partition which he asked. Its simple!!

So if u r putting too much burden on ur mind becoz of that, then experiment and see for urself!! Take it casually, like u don't care. If u'll try to teach them tooo much, then obviously they'll get scared like u r tryin to teach them something difficult!! Its in human nature. So let them explore.

People often think that u'll have to teach them dis an dat. Just make em treat it like "different windows" and let them play with it themselves!

karmanya

Journeyman
breached the subject to my parents .... flat no. they say ppl are resistant to change. well my family only trusts windows xp and that is that. they dont even let me dual boot for gods sake.
strengthens my point.

mediator

Technomancer
Hmmm, it seems your family is quite used to disk defragment, viruses and bsods.
Neways then that means ur statement.....
sure i can switch to linux and even function as well as i could with windows after a week or so but what about my mom,dad and sister? they are not savvy at all. I doubt my sister knows what linux is.
....has no relevance either! How can they give their verdict or compare when they don't even want anything else to be installed?

they dont even let me dual boot for gods sake.
strengthens my point.
It doesn't strenghten ur point in anyway regarding comparison. It only shows that u failed in motivating them to use something different which has an increasing user base or u failed to convey them that Linux install wont harm windows and their docs in anyway!

karmanya

Journeyman
thats kind of my point. my parents don't want to compare. they mulishly believe that if i tinker around with my system im gonna screw it up big time. They don't even keep their docs on the computer.to them a computer means windows xp. u know what they say about "little knowledge" ? its too true in my case. and btw i wasnt talking about a comparison, i believe linux is a better option than windows mainly due to dirth of viruses, though i am a little worried about games.
plus my father has firm belief in that "if u dont touch something, it wont break" so if he even sees me opening up my cabinet just to clean it he starts screamin at me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom