Photoshop CS3 is Spying on U!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
It all began with a post at UNEASYsilence titled "Lies, Lies and Adobe Spies" which caught on to the fact that Adobe CS3 apps were calling out to a suspiciously-crafted IP address.

As it turns out, the IP in question—192.168.112.2O7.net (note the capital O instead of a zero)—is not an IP at all, but rather a domain owned by statistics-tracking firm Omniture.

Criticism and conspiracy theories quickly erupted across the web, calling for an answer from Adobe over what looked like a clear invasion of privacy crafted to look like a typical local IP address. The holidays aren't always the best time to ask a corporation as large as Adobe for an answer on issues like this, but Photoshop Product Manager John Nack came to at least a preliminary rescue. Across a couple of posts at his official Adobe blog, Nack took it upon himself to dig into the matter.

According to Nack's investigation, Adobe's CS3 apps call out to Omniture's services to track a few usage statistics across Adobe products.
Specifically, only three things are tracked: the news items presented in some apps' welcome screens, Adobe-hosted content loaded in Bridge's implementations of Opera and Flash Player (Bridge is the asset management component of Creative Suite), and Adobe online help systems like forums and the Exchange service, but only upon a user's request.

Full Article

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Oh comon...just block Photoshop.exe in your firewall. Problem solved, why else do u have a firewall for.

goobimama

 Macboy
It's not like this little bit of spying is going to hurt adobe in any way. There's no other alternative to Photoshop, indesign, illustrator and many others... Adobe is king for now...

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
SH!T

me too had a faint doubt...

why d o these companies do such things???
idiots...

You should read the EULA completely before using a product.

Such news doesn't affect the company nor is the company liable for any damages because most of such tracking or statistics collection is something that customers who use the product agree for using the EULA.

Customers agree for the EULA without reading it and then dispute that they are not supposed to do this and that when it's clearly defined and customer agreed for on the EULA.

This is the point of view of a company.

As far individual users are concerned, honestly you need to start reading EULAs and really think whether you need to agree for it or not and not just push it off saying.... what's the worst that could happen? and then later crib about it.

EULAs are getting ever more complex and since corporations know that this is one thing that 99% of people overlook, they make sure they wash their hands as much as possible in the agreement which unfortunately the customer doesn't notice.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
Oh ya well i have no other work than reading a 20,000 words of nonsense...dont worry i will sit and read it..

Come on in this world no one reads it coz WE TRUST THEM...simple..

It should be made illegal for EULA to be more than 200 words...

Even if i go thru all these agreements...will i be able to understand that cra6

?

And tell me if someone is a hardcore graphic designer...?will he go away since because of some stupid company wants to get usage data?
He has no way to install along with it..what can he do?dont say he can use gimp...all know it doesnt stand a chance against cs3..

And also if yöü are doing a legitimate thing why deceive the users-with o instead of 0?

Purely to bypass the firewall check..

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
And tell me if someone is a hardcore graphic designer...?will he go away since because of some stupid company wants to get usage data?
He has no way to install along with it..what can he do?dont say he can use gimp...all know it doesnt stand a chance against cs3..

Then what are you complaining about? :D

If they said they will collect usage data and you agreed to it? then why should you even complain in the first place? If you agreed, then why bother what means they use to get that?

PS: None of this is meant directly at you @naveen, it's more of a general argument to the public who agree on the EULA and then crib about it.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
All i am saying some people dont have a choice..
Thats what i said in that post.this is like...
Yöü want this salary...then be my slave...
Yöü have no way to go...
I am just pointing this.
And p.s F^ck that EULA..
Make it like a movie starring tom cruise...and jolie so that i may see it and in return i would understand whats given...

Wow am i imagining too much...
Too much drink spoils your brain.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
And p.s F^ck that EULA..
Wow am i imagining too much...
Too much drink spoils your brain.

Now, those 3 statements together makes sense! :D

I get your point but the bottom line is.. whether you like it or not, EULA is absolutely not something that can be overlooked from a legal point of view. This is the holy grail for corporation to protect themselves from legal issues.

So, unfortunately, it's not that easy! You pretty much are accepting to be a slave of the company when you are accepting the EULA. This is because, there are many unacceptable terms in the EULA but no one can do anything about it. Because it's the company's policy. If you don't like the policy, then don't buy the product. Unfortunately not buying the product is not that easy of an option when compared to giving a blind eye to the EULA and every consumer ultimately agrees to the EULA thinking what's the worst that could happen and fall into the trap!

Can someone please post a link or copy of the CS3 EULA??

If it says that they will monitor and accumulate usage statistics, then this thread has no more reason to continue.;)

praka123

left this forum longback
All Hail Open Source!
else these types of things can be expected!first it is Vista(60+ spyprobes connecting to NSA? and M$),now adobe joins!now i dont understand what is the difference in a pirated copy and genuine copy!pirated one *may* have rootkits etc...but that seems old story as genuine ones are carrying all these craps!now the warez crackers are may be "cleaning" those originals of these crap rootkits! " :lol:]
thx @imeow for the news ;)

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
@kenshin, thanks for the EULA, here's where I think the catch is:

14.8.1 The Software may rely upon or facilitate your access to websites maintained by Adobe or its affiliates or third parties offering goods, information, software and services (e.g., the Adobe Stock Photos service) ("Online Services").

Those who've agreed to the EULA and using the product, better shut your pieholes :D

How can it amount to spying when you have given them permission to do it? Let's not argue on this anymore :p

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Well those using the original need not fear. As for others..................................*farm3.static.flickr.com/2180/2122604477_1f3f245df7_o.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom