Photo Projects - Practical Approach

sujoyp

Grand Master
Hello Friends,

From last some days I was thinking to start this topic. Actually I love to do different geners of photography like landscape, product, drop, smoke, animal, flower macro etc ...and would never set some specific likes or dislikes for a specific type.

Soo I found a book online which have 50 photo projects ...name of book is 50 Photo Projects. We may not be able to perform all the project cause of need of various photography equipments like wireless flash trigger, ND, CPL filters, tripod etc ...but we can try with some home made stuff to compensate that.

Soo I will encourage you guys to find out various substitute to items...you can post pic of your setup too to help others...and dont feel ashamed by simple setups...they are actually more helpful.

Also post 1 pic at a time.. the best one you think..

if possible post basic exif details like -
cam used-
aperture-
shutter speed-
time of the day-

Note - I can not copy paste book contents directly coz of ...I can upload the book in my skydrive and give link...

Soo I will start from today evening.. :)

nac

Aspiring Novelist
It's good to see its coming... I got that book. It's good to do the projects along with the like minded people.

OP
sujoyp

sujoyp

Grand Master
Shoot Silhouttes

What is silhouttes? its a picture where subject becomes completely dark due to bright background.
ex -
*encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6t3AD-2dRVCBwlY-aO9Xkrz5BvtBKIvam9S31IsPg4krQvJjVJXWvRI9D
*t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSO5FFAgLYmgEDw9YDjNSXKmUZwbYXTftbbIiwYmahHKCd_cQYxJm1siTzQ

To take silhouttes follow the steps -
1. plan what you want to shoot...u can shoot tree, friends, pets or any object.
2. the best time for silhouttes is sunrise or sunset where you can find sun right behind your subject
3. choose a low angle if possible
4. select spot metering and point it towards sunlight soo that the camera records overexposure and try to underexpose the pic

now edit ur pic and slightly increase the shadow soo that the silhoutte looks perfect :)

there is no specific camera settings for this one...just have fun

I will start with my pic taken today evening

*farm4.staticflickr.com/3818/9032115345_6e9719f54b_z.jpg
Sky by sujoyp, on Flickr

nac

Aspiring Novelist
When I saw this photograph in the other forum today morning, I wanted to try such a shot when I get an opportunity. Yes, it's a silhouette...
This is the photograph I am talking about.
*farm8.staticflickr.com/7388/9018300844_ed54f5e860_b.jpg

Sujoy, Photographs have to be taken fresh. Earlier work of yours can't be taken in account ;)
(It's taken before the post you posted:grin:)

OP
sujoyp

sujoyp

Grand Master
LOL ....i took the pic today itself in the evening 6:30 :D ok I will post another tommorow

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
would love to be a part of the projects... and am sure between us we can jugaadofy most of the stuff we can't find :)

My contribution to Silhouettes. Old pic though :)

*farm8.staticflickr.com/7175/6554868733_6a4cc85ef8_z.jpg
With the sun at my back by Amlan Mathur, on Flickr

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I am sorry to say this, the ultimate goal of doing photo project destroys if we are digging our archives to find one to suit the topic. Most likely some of us have the 50 photos already in our archives. No offense meant, Amlan and
Sujoy :D

I hope you see the point, right?

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
agree wholeheartedly .... so fresh pics from now on. some suggestions, please see if they make sense

1. Lets keep one project for a duration of about a week, that way everyone will have time to contribute (I'm hoping that in the future there'll be more than just the 3 of us chatting here :)))
2. We can start off with an intro and how to (like the excellent one that sujoy gave here for silhouette)
3. Let's share the link of this thread on some of the other threads also, the more people there are the more we'll all learn - Sujoy, would you do this?

sorry for rattling this off so early in the morning, but it will be awesome fun and we'll all get a chance to do stuff that we normally do not do with our cams :)

OP
sujoyp

sujoyp

Grand Master
Nac I will post another one this week :D

Amlan I didnt understand what u mean by sharing the link to other thread...anyone interested will join here :)

The 1st one was rather simple project that even p&S user can perform easily ....

what I want is you guys can suggest any new ways to do it with ur own experience...I am not bookish here..only the topics r bookish ;)

nac

Aspiring Novelist
agree wholeheartedly .... so fresh pics from now on. some suggestions, please see if they make sense
Thanks for taking it lightly and understanding.

1. Lets keep one project for a duration of about a week, that way everyone will have time to contribute
You sure about that. It will take about a year...

(I'm hoping that in the future there'll be more than just the 3 of us chatting here :)))
I wish so... Will see..

3. Let's share the link of this thread on some of the other threads also, the more people there are the more we'll all learn - Sujoy, would you do this?
Mod may thing that Sujoy is spamming the forum and ban him :rofl: And you are nicely escaping by asking Sujoy to do it...:rofl:

Nac I will post another one this week :D
I am sure you will do. I will take the one posted as an example from your collection. :)

OP
sujoyp

sujoyp

Grand Master
you are right nac if we keep one project a week it will take too much time and patience....lets make it 2 projects a week..I will post them on every Sunday and Thursday

I took this one today...its not exact to whats shown in example but in the same genre .

*lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hQ4UXebtrvA/UbtAGPZHm6I/AAAAAAAAI6U/mTA52oWkCPc/w442-h708-no/DSC_8419.JPG

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Got up early, checked sunrise time and went out for photo shoot. I am not ok with the result, so I am not gonna post them. I am looking for something close to a striking image if not as stunning as the ones from the professional photographers. Thought of trying it again in the evening, but couldn't.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Open sky is not that difficult... I will again try it out tomorrow. I will try and make sure it's better than today's...

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Thank you... Lately, I started liking black and white photographs. Most of my photographs I am taking now are black and whites and @ ~50mm focal length.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, it's challenging. When I was reading "plants", I couldn't see which one is the subject in one of the photographs (I think that was taken by the author or someone who is good at taking photographs) because it was a b/w photo. I tried a similar one and posted too.

And it's interesting too... esp. portraits and wedding.

Tried it again this evening. It's a very similar location, just that there was a tree in the field. Though it wasn't a lonely one. So couldn't find as interesting location as I expected.

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
No, you can go ahead and post the next topic. If one wants to post, he/she can post when they are done with their work. In fact, I am not done with this topic yet. I would like try some more, only the black and white plant silhouette suits this topic among the ones I posted. Now I think I shouldn't have posted the rest of them. I will take them down.

I wanted to share, but I should have done it in photography thread...

Top Bottom