Photo Projects - Practical Approach

OP
sujoyp

sujoyp

Grand Master
it was not foggy or mysty it was cloudy....and yesterday it rained here...no birds today no flowers :hissyfit:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I tried, it was misty/foggy... So tweaked to get that "golden" effect...

Project: Golden hour Photography

*imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/829/9vvk.jpg

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
what a bad luck ...woke up for these golden hour shoot and sky is all dull with just red sun behind :(

The 1st one is quite nice.
I haven't seen nice clouds in the sky for some months now. The sky is always dull greyish light blue all the day & sunsets aren't much interesting.

*farm8.staticflickr.com/7388/12030463514_87f5014e8f_b.jpg

OP
sujoyp

sujoyp

Grand Master
But u guys are just taking silhouette...but in example there is no silhouette..

Guys think of some other compositions...something new

Last edited:

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
I guess one thing to remember is that we don't need to get the golden sky in the shot to get a great golden hour shot, the light itself will give you some awesome shots

here is the only good shot I have of the golden hour

*farm3.staticflickr.com/2774/4503328390_c94c7284aa.jpg
paths not taken by Amlan Mathur, on Flickr

Here are some from other flicker profiles that I liked

This I think has used a reflector to reflect the light onto the lady's face
*farm8.staticflickr.com/7067/6902476914_e54da91d74_c.jpg
Golden Hour by Rick Nunn, on Flickr

*farm6.staticflickr.com/5515/9531224728_387b117619_c.jpg
Golden Hour Swoops by interchangeableparts, on Flickr

this has used the trees and the shadows to great effect to get an amazing effect. Notice how the low diffused light gives a great depth and color to the pic

Golden Hour Doe by Spring Noel, on Flickr

Last edited:
OP
sujoyp

sujoyp

Grand Master
yaah yaah soo try something na...I will see if tomorrow there is some sunshine I will take something in morning golden hr :)

nac

Aspiring Novelist
But u guys are just taking silhouette...but in example there is no silhouette..

Guys think of some other compositions...something new

Isn't the camel shot, silhouette??

If I have to get something similar to the sample images, I don't think I can try to the first two (rim and flare) with the set up I have. I can try the third one (landscape), just have to scout for location.

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
Isn't the camel shot, silhouette??

If I have to get something similar to the sample images, I don't think I can try to the first two (rim and flare) with the set up I have. I can try the third one (landscape), just have to scout for location.

For the rim lighting one, you actually need to be careful with the metering mode, the spot one worked for me for ok results. But I get overexposed background. ... now that I see, they example has blown out sky too.

OP
sujoyp

sujoyp

Grand Master
In all the examples I can see details of subject and none of them is black out...thats the reason I havent blacked out my subject and you can see the details of shield and its muscles ...

nac

Aspiring Novelist
you can see the details of shield and its muscles ...

If I look hard, I could see your muscles too from the shield reflection :p

For the rim lighting one, you actually need to be careful with the metering mode, the spot one worked for me for ok results. But I get overexposed background. ... now that I see, they example has blown out sky too.

How much a pair of reflectors would cost? That would help to make the image from OK to BETTER.

OP
sujoyp

sujoyp

Grand Master
24inch reflectors cost 500 for one side white other side silver ....5 reflectors pack of 42inch will cost 900-1200 :) I wanted to buy one but didnt have any shoot to test

24 inch one is very small just size of a thali ...42 inch is big for full body portrait

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
24inch reflectors cost 500 for one side white other side silver ....5 reflectors pack of 42inch will cost 900-1200 :) I wanted to buy one but didnt have any shoot to test

24 inch one is very small just size of a thali ...42 inch is big for full body portrait

Actually, a reflector is the easiest thing to make at home. You can literally use a steel thali for this, or a big piece of thermocol or chart paper.

Last edited:
OP
sujoyp

sujoyp

Grand Master
yaah amlan you are right but the thing you buy from market folds very small ...the 24inch one can be folded into your bag

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Damn, ever since I started this project the sun has decided not to show up in Delhi. First few days we had a frozen hour in place of the golden hour at sunrise. Sat, I decided to shoot at sunset to get these shots in and it started raining :( . Fingers crossed for the rest of the week.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Ok, after failing miserably to see the sun god over the past one week I decided to cheat. Went to some malls that had really bright halogens, put my cam to cloudy mode and clicked this.

*farm4.staticflickr.com/3681/12120580695_02cb6fab53_c.jpg
Nightly strolls by Amlan Mathur, on Flickr

People who're lucky enough to see the sun, start clicking this weekend

OP
sujoyp

sujoyp

Grand Master
I am lucky here...will go to garden early this time...I want to shoot green bee eater in golden hour...till now I used to search for kingfisher 1st ;)

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Project: Golden hour Photography

Entry # 2

*imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/30/drcs.jpg

Shot RAW, it's the sole reason behind we see so much details in this image.

Top Bottom