Phonebloks - A customizable phone

Hrishi

Multi boot is possible on android.
I mean android + android
And android + Ubuntu for few devices
OOps. . . I meant Multi-OS. Like as in WP+Droid+Ubuntu,etc.
Only phone I know of is HTC's HD2 , which was a WP originally but had possibilities to run Windows.

There was this project called NitDroid , which hacked several non droid devices to run Android. Like running Nokia N900 with Android.

However , there will always be Driver related conflicts.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
OOps. . . I meant Multi-OS. Like as in WP+Droid+Ubuntu,etc.
Only phone I know of is HTC's HD2 , which was a WP originally but had possibilities to run Windows.

There was this project called NitDroid , which hacked several non droid devices to run Android. Like running Nokia N900 with Android.

However , there will always be Driver related conflicts.

Most if not all mobiles processors run on ARM architecture, and only if OS vendor decide they can give a port to the device.. im talking about non free OS like WP , iOS which is highly unlikely.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Compatibility of bloks will be chaotic, we will see the same problems (eg: some bloks work only with some other bloks, software will be tuned to particular bloks). More brands get involved, more chaos

Each and every blok will have to be replaced at the same pace as the entire device, if not faster, given the rate of progress and changing standards. Manufacturing screens, batteries, storage to variant specifications might actually be more wasteful... We may end up with more tons of waste bloks than phones

Not sure what the role of any mobile company in the current state of things would be in such a blok process. Their job is basically to get the qualcomm, broadcom, Texas instruments, atmel/synaptics, corning/asahi, arm variant, toshiba/samsung components to work together at particular prices.

This thing will be bulky, each component has a shell to start with. Dont think the teardowns of any device will reveal an advantage in changing the space alloted to storage vs battery for cloud / non cloud based usage as shown in vid.

What is fun is you can switch over 3.5 mm jacks and charging port to any side as per convinience.

Flash

Lost in speed
Not sure what the role of any mobile company in the current state of things would be in such a blok process. Their job is basically to get the qualcomm, broadcom, Texas instruments, atmel/synaptics, corning/asahi, arm variant, toshiba/samsung components to work together at particular prices.
That will be their main problem. All component manufacturers has to work together with Phonebloks, to get this made.
Also i don't think anyone will want to own a phone for many years. Current gen people wants to be in touch with latest technologies, so they will stick with their phone for 1 year minimum.

So, i dont think people will actually use this for years. It's gonna be like facebook. Exciting at first and existing at last.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I think the main idea behind this concept was not to introduce some "revolutionary" new phone, rather having a smartphone which isn't smart in the way we perceive it, but smart in the way that its easily upgradable without requiring us to change the complete phone. The idea for which is to reduce e-waste.

So even if this Phoneblocks concept doesn't materialize as the way video demonstrates, companies need to (or we need to make them) realize the potential for this component-upgradation-concept can have environmentally.

Sadly, consumerism is not easy to fight with.

Last edited:

suyash_123

Techno Freak
A person Knowning a diffence between MAC and PC Can understand this Phone ....
IF a Headlight/ Tyre or Horn is giving problem .. Do you Buy a New CAR ????
If Your HDD or CD rom or SMPS or ETHERNET Port is gone (mostly by lightning - mine gone) Do you buy a new Phone ? or just replace spare part with new ???

Support this concept man !! request to all !

ajaymailed

In the zone
A person Knowning a diffence between MAC and PC Can understand this Phone ....
IF a Headlight/ Tyre or Horn is giving problem .. Do you Buy a New CAR ????
If Your HDD or CD rom or SMPS or ETHERNET Port is gone (mostly by lightning - mine gone) Do you buy a new Phone ? or just replace spare part with new ??? Support this concept man !! request to all !
An assembled phone like a desktop will be dangerous for present smartphone market. it will revolutionize it but also kill companies, Apple for example will lose heavily if that happens. The hardware probably is so tightly integrated that its either too difficult or expensive replace one single part. Even OS itself is so much dependent on the phones hardware. We dont have any phones that has ability to run different OS.

Allowing user the freedom to install different OS on their phones itself will be like a revolution. All the mobile OS companies can come forward and develop a standard hardware requirements for a Phone and let users install any kind of OS.

amjath

Human Spambot
Motorola working with Phonebloks
Motorola's 'Project Ara' modular smartphone setup switches out hardware like apps

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
If you break it down to parts, then its already here
Gaming controller > *www.mogaanywhere.com/
Camera > DSC-QX100 : QX Series : Lens-style Camera : Sony India
One device that does extra storage, battery and wifi (each is available seperately) > RAVPower ® FileHub Wireless SD Flash Card Reader USB External HDD / SDD Reader with Built-in 3000 mah External Battery Pack and Portable Wifi Hot Spot
And bunch of keyboards

Except for storage-battery, parts cant get too much smaller

Top Bottom