phenom II x4 955be < intel dual core ??!

sukesh1090

Adam young
@karthik316_1999
oh buddy make up your mind whether to go with intel or AMD.why you are thinking about 2 years or 4 years, by that time world would have been changed by lot.now only for 4-6 months time gap new processors are launched,so then how can you say anything about 4years in future?

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
I actually made up my mind to go with the 955be. But, just wanted to be more future proof.
For eg., 4 yrs back, when I choose the 939 socket athlon 64 3000+ 1.8 Ghz CPU (the dealer created the hype that it was 64 bit etc etc), it was the most foolish decision that I made :( as till now I have not used any 64 bit app & a 32-bit 3.2 Ghz CPU would have served me much much faster !

Having regretted this decision, I just wanted to make sure that I don't have to change the entire CPU + motherboard + RAM combo once again when upgrading 4 yrs down the line.

But, was shocked to hear that am3 socket is obselete. So, there is no point investing on it. Thats when the idea of shifting to intel 1155 came in.
People have told that ivy & other future gen CPU's from intel would be based on the same 1155 chipset.

So, this is where I stand now on the wall as a cat!

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
For eg., 4 yrs back, when I choose the 939 socket athlon 64 3000+ 1.8 Ghz CPU (the dealer created the hype that it was 64 bit etc etc), it was the most foolish decision that I made :( as till now I have not used any 64 bit app & a 32-bit 3.2 Ghz CPU would have served me much much faster !
If that 32-bit 3.2 Ghz CPU was a Pentium 4, then your dealer chose the right CPU for you.

Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8 Ghz > Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz.

heck your 64-bit point is completely moot since all amd64 processors are backward compatible with 32-bit. And Intel's processors are amd64 processors.

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
No.. not the p4.. a 3 + ghz athlon 32-bit series one.. i guess

The reason is my other p4 2.4 Ghz PC is much much smoother than this amd 64 3000+.. right from opening up browsers or booting or playback.
In fact, the p4 just has 512 mb of ram as against 1.5gb to this amd junk

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

The reason is my other p4 2.4 Ghz PC is much much smoother than this amd 64 3000+.. right from opening up browsers or booting or playback.
placebo effect.

Athlon 64 3000+ is faster than Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz any day of the week.

And every AMD processor released after 2003 and Intel processor after 2005 has been amd64. It is more like 32-bit + extensions. Makes no difference. You perhaps have a bloated installation on that machine.

Note: You don't know what you are talking about.

Do you know what you are saying?

32-bit operating system will run very slow on every modern machine which has Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, Phenom, Phenom II, Core i3/5/i7. Yes, all these processors are "64-bit" i.e. amd64.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend

I agrees totally. My Intel 8085 booted faster and peformed calculations faster than the AMD Junk of Athlon X2 with 2 GB RAM. :lol:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Then you guyys have serious setup or software issues with your AMD setup. An AMD 64 bit 3000+ is any day faster than the P4 prescott 3 GHz apart from Divx Encoding which favors only Intel's architecture. Check out any review. Here is one for instance.: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ CPU Review: AMD64 to the Masses! - X-bit labs

karthik316_1999, why are you keep saying AM3 socket is obsolate?? You can't find a cheap Asus AM3 mobo supporting AM3+ PU does not mean that it is obsolate. There are plenty of sub 5K AM3+ ready AM3 mobos are available from MSI. Gigabyte, ECS etc. AMD is far better in terms of backward compatibility than INTEL. On the other hand INTEL has some notorious habbits of changing the platform with every release and this is the 1st time they are providing backward compatibility.

An AM2+ mobo, released @ 2007, still can support an AM3 processor, at 2011. In this mean time Intel has released 3 generation of processors with 3 generation of motherboards.

And 4 yrs is a very long time in technology field, you simply can't tale your config will support processors of 4 years in future, no matter how pricy and future proof config you buy. But ya, in past AMD has shown this kind of customer service.

I think this conversation is going too long without any new information...only repeatating and misleading informations are getting posted.

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
After much research, have come up with just these boards based on my feature (max.dimm & pci slots) & price ..

1. The Intel DH67CL with 4 pci slots, 4 dimm slots & usb 3.0 @ 5600 rs/-
Intel® Desktop Board DH67CL

2. Asus P8H67-M LX with 2 pci slots, 2 dimm slots & no usb 3.0 @ 6000 rs/-
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS P8H67-M LX

3. Asus P8H67-M LE with 2 pci slots, 2 dimm slots & usb 3.0 @ 6400 rs/-
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS P8H67-M LE

Thought the Intel boards would be costlier but surprisingly it appears a tad cheaper with better features.

Which one do u feel i must choose..

karthik316_1999, why are you keep saying AM3 socket is obsolate?? You can't find a cheap Asus AM3 mobo supporting AM3+ PU does not mean that it is obsolate. There are plenty of sub 5K AM3+ ready AM3 mobos are available from MSI. Gigabyte, ECS etc.

No.., this wasn't the reason cilus..!
Said so considering the fact that the Bulldozer cpu's would slowly move towards the fm2 platform.. Hence, i meant am3 as obsolete keeping in mind its future upgrade ability. Even read your comment in one of the threads where-in you've said, the am3+ support is being offered only to help the slow transition to the bulldozer, the release of which has been talked for years altogether now..
Do correct me if im wrong, cheers :)

Last edited:

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^see thats what i am saying 2 posts before you told you are going with AMD and now you are posting about Intel mobos.
AMD moving from their old chipsets because they may be required some new chipsets to completely support all the features of their BD which they can't get from their old ones.i think AMD will move to new chipsets on the later versions of BD so you still can enjoy the BDs which are released in september.what else you need?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think this conversation is going too long without any new information...only repeatating and misleading informations are getting posted.
That's what I call circular discussions.

Cilus

laborare est orare
karthik316_1999, When Bulldozer will be released, it will at least stay for 1 year in production and which means two years of availability. And AMD is taking transition from AM3 to AM3+, so the company is providing Bulldozer compatibility without a complete upgrade, just like Intel Sandybridge E.... I am simply not getting what you want buddy, in fact any one is getting your need I guess. When FM2 sockets will come, they will be designed for the Trinity processors, i.e., Bulldozer with Integrated GPU. I don't think they are gonna stop manufacturing of Zambezi based Bulldozer processors.

Anyway, go with Intel 2100 + H67 based chipset as you like it.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
The FM2 socket will support trinity based bulldozer APU's as well as bulldozer based "Komodo" cpu's which is nothing but updated "zambezi" with 10 core support (5 modules).
So there will be a single socket and platform for both CPU and APU. Until then, AM3+ and current FM1 will do the job.

Last edited:
Top Bottom