phenom II 965 or 955?

vishalg

AMD Fanboy
hey guys :)

My friend is confused btw an amd phenom II 965be & 955be

As u know the only diff btw them is the 200mhz clock rate but the price diff. is abt 1k!

I adviced him to go for a 955( which i also have and am more than satisfied with its perf.) and spend the 1k on ram.

Is the 200mhz clock & 1k really worth it?
Whats ur take on this.

Terabyte

In the zone
^No 965BE isn't worth that extra 1k.
You can easily turn up the multiplier and overclock 955BE to 3.4GHz or more.
Get 955BE and get a better CPU cooler like CM Hyper TX3 with the saved 1k.

Cilus

laborare est orare
I think there were some problems reported for Phenom II 955's noisy fan, but there is no problem with Phenom II 965's fan. In fact somehow it is even cooler than 955.
So better opt for P II 965 if you don't wanna add a custom CPU cooler for now.

OP
vishalg

vishalg

AMD Fanboy
u guys r are right about the noisy 955 fan, i also get irritated with it esp. at night when ambient noise is min.

Hence if one wants to oc it i think an aftermarket cooler is a must. I dont oc but due to the noise even i am considering a tx3 but am confused as it has a non std. 90mm fan

@cilus
I dont think theres a diff btw stock coolers of phenom quad be cpus

OP
vishalg

vishalg

AMD Fanboy
^^
But it will add to price & the real quest. is what diff would a 200mhz make in real world

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
that suggestion was for you buddy but i forgt to read you wont oc.
200mhz wont make any significance difference in real world.

OP
vishalg

vishalg

AMD Fanboy
^^
ohk bro
U r right abt 200mhz diff

Will the tx3 be silent owing to an 90mm fan or should i go for 212

mrcool63

Journeyman
hyper 212+ is much more efficient than the tx3. check frostytech.com for cooler ratings. noise of both are almost the same.
200mhz doesn't make much difference... go for 955be with hyper 212+ or extend ur budget by 1k and get corsair h50 watercooler. way way better than hyper 212

mrcool63

Journeyman
the h50 is 3.8k-on lynx-india and itwares.com
so increase ur budget and buy h50 if u want a good cpu cooler. its way cooler compared to hyper212+

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Noctua is much better than H50. Its radiator i very noisy, cooling is slightly better than Hyper212+. Not worth the money IMO.

mrcool63

Journeyman
Noctua is much better than H50. Its radiator i very noisy, cooling is slightly better than Hyper212+. Not worth the money IMO.

noctua is not worth the money we pay for it. noctua is good but if u change the dfault fans with hyper 212+ than u get cooling equal to noctua and u still beat the noctua in price. furter if u add an aditional fan in the h50 u will get cooling way way better than the noctua.. and water cooling vs air cooling.. cheap ass water ones are equal to high ass air cooling ones

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
^^ And the 212+/noctua 12pse2 is paired with which processor? Just how many people overclock to the max/properly? For such crowd, they won't know the difference between WC and aircooling/something like h50- let alone noctua u12pse2 and hyper 212+.

One should buy according to their needs rather than how deep (or shallow) their pockets are. 212+/ultima 90i/cogage cool spirit/venomous X does the job for many.

Piyush

Lanaya
either go for 965
or pair ur 955 with 212+

if u r not eager in OCing then 1st option is more appropriate

Top Bottom