Personal Hygiene and Etiquette Thread V1: Ear Wax Edition

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Something effective for reducing or in fact eliminating acne and the scars ?? The facewash just don't work on my skin type.It's oily. ( Have been trying almost every type of F.W. there ) .
Really pissed off with this problem.

Control your diet, less oil and masala. And don't rub you face harshly with towel.

Replace your pillow cover frequently.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Something effective for reducing or in fact eliminating acne and the scars ?? The facewash just don't work on my skin type.It's oily. ( Have been trying almost every type of F.W. there ) .

Take a Neem Bath
and apply Lemon on Face

Hrishi

Take a Neem Bath
and apply Lemon on Face

Last time I applied lemon it tingled a lot and then loads of blisters after that. That went the negative way for me. I applied it thinking that it would exfoliate the dead cells but it probably caused burst of acne.

Hrishi

Control your diet, less oil and masala. And don't rub you face harshly with towel.

Replace your pillow cover frequently.

Although I don't eat oily food items but I will definitely avoid any.
Pillow covers ??

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Man guys have to suffer with hair problems at some point of time :(

My hair are soft and thin... Any oil/solution to make them thicker??

it's a typical men's-issue!

these problems have to be tackled holistically, even if you take medications for them. i still vividly remember, during my pre-sea training days, near lonavala, esp. during winters, how my hair used to develop superb lustre and health (only the top part, as there wan't significant hair on sides of the head - crew-cut!! ;) ). a well-balanced diet, near-excellent weather, and a regular rigorous physical regimen were the prime reasons for it (those were THE days!).

genetics and climate/weather-conditions aside, if you can dedicate time & efforts, which i feel you should, i will provide some steps pointwise below that you may consider following:

1. whatever the new hip hairstyle making waves in the town, DON'T comb your hair in spike-fashion, or comb them against their 'flow' of growth (ie, if your hair have a growth downwards, comb them in that direction only, and not in the opposite, ie, towards the back).

2. while combing, don't just move the comb touching the hair only. apply pressure to your scalp too. it needs stimulation. also, there are a few wooden head-massagers available in the market, which have their tips rounded off in a ball-shape. take it, and press it againts your scalp at various points, esp. near the forehead where the hairline starts receding, and while pressing it at a point, rotate it 20 times in clockwise manner, and 20 times in the counter manner. this can be done with finger-tips too. choose what you like.

3. massage your scalp with oil before going to bed. not needed daily though. i used to use the famous 'navratna oil' years back, but now i live at a humid place, and hence i use it rarely. if you live at a place with a dry climate, you could use it. but it's said that one should apply only that oil on your body, which can be used for eating as well. hence, most recommended would be to use almond oil, coconut oil. occasionally, you may use castor oil as well. this thick oil is known to stimulate hair-growth on the eyebrows and on the scalp.

4. avoid eating foods that increase heat in the body. too much heat in the body results in the falling of hair. drinking too much tea, coffee, soft-drinks, eating too much junk-food, etc - avoid these. include a good amount of protein in your diet, through nuts, eggs (if you eat eggs), dairy-products, etc. avoid very oily, spicy food. take more of whole foods and a good amount of roughage as well.

5. exercise regularly!! and by that i mean, not the 'old-man-walking' stuff. exercise in a way that you sweat profusely and go out of breath (sweating while doing home-chores doesn't count!! :D ). you can't do such heavy exercise daily though, hence, take rests in between, when you could just brisk walk and 'drink in' fresh air. make sure to practice hand-stands, sheershaasan, etc., which aid in better circulation of blood to your head/scalp. practice these gradually.

6. the urban-dust & pollution is highly detrimental to your scalp and hair-health as well! whenever you have to travel out, wear a cap or a bandana. to wash your hair, use shampoos only occasionally, and that too, a medicated shampoo is what i would recommend. an aanwla-reetha-shikaakaai solution is also a very good concoction to use.

7. no need to sport long hair-like-a-bear. long hair are uneasy and tough to handle, and prone to much falling as well. have a regular hair-cut, and ask the hair-dresser to just trim the ends of your hair on top if you don't want to cut them short. also, at the end, ask him to massage your scalp with the massaging-machine. its a portable hand-held electric massager. you would feel heavenly after one such session!

8. again, i would write, use curd occasionally on your scalp and hair. provides coolness.

9. in a day, keep wetting your hair and scalp with little amount of water. don't dry them completely; let them remain wet for a few minutes.

10. for gels, use either natural aloe-vera extract if you have the plant at your home, otherwise get one without any preservatives in it (for eg, D. Jain's Aloe Vera gel). after applying it in the morning, you could wet/wash your hair and scalp after half a day or in the evening, as it would leave your scalp dry by that time.

11. consult a hair-expert if the problem is severe. but even then, don't forego the above steps. also, you might've observed that wherever i've mentioned the word 'hair' with regards to its care, i've also used the word 'scalp' alongwith it. that's because care for both go together.

i may have forgotten some points to add, but all-in-all, these should suffice. don't get disappointed if you don't get results within days. everyone's body takes its own time to respond, and the time also depends on the severity of the issue. follow suggestions diligently and patiently, and am sure you would get to see good results!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

most of the facewashes are 'eyewashes'!! ;)

commercial advertisements have so much penetrated into our minds, that we almost always tend to misuse our intellect. don't blindly run after such products; rather, take a pause, think, and then take a step.

most of the points that i wrote above apply in your case as well, esp. the food & exercise-part. i know about your self-absorbed type issues from another thread here ;) , but i would simply recommend you to shake it off forcefully! otherwise your mind would try tooth-and-nail to make you your slave! get out, get going! don't think over things, don't brood (this also very much results in acne and black-scars). simply don't think much, exercise your will on your mind, and move out to do some fartlek training, move out with friends, go get drenched in the rains, etc. this is one of the best cures for mind-cravings and skin-problems as well! when your mind is resisting your nudges to follow a good path - simply. exercise. your. force!

and regarding using personal-hygiene stuff, there is absolutely no need to complicate the matter using all kinds of detergents! get a dead sea-salt soap and use it occasionally. i also used to have a very oily-skin, esp. when i used to live at a place with a dry climate (and now when i live at a place with a humid climate, the oiliness has come under a lot of control. life is funny!). regular soaps aggravate the issue, hence, use them very infrequently. get a mild medicated soap. applying a neem-concoction should also help. acne can also be a result of excessive body-heat. hence, avoid contradicting food. apply curd (and pure 'multaani mitti' as well). this acne issue also gets subsided with time for many people. i had the problem of pimples from my teens well to my youth, but it gradually subsided towards the later years. i still get big red boils on my back and boils on my scalp, but that's to do partly with genetics, the place i live at (its a humid place), body-heat. i don't consume very oily food and nor i like spicy stuff. i follow a heavy physical-roster (though not to prevent skin-problems). take a look at one of my pics shot recently, below (i don't like to take snaps of people nor do i like to get my snaps clicked, hence, this is one of those very rare ones i have of myself ;) ):

*i.imgur.com/5oHBjMyl.jpg

here, the patch of my cheek besides my nose and overgrown moustache, that patch used to be dark red & brown in cycles. i used to get a lot of boils & pimples (though not pus-filled) on that area, and our rule of shaving daily, sometimes twice in a day, had aggravated the issue quite a lot! however, due to the above reasons, that issue has subsided to such an extent that at first glance, no one would ever be able to tell that that area of my cheek was a pimple-and-scar home-turf!! ;)
you could still see some faint remnants of the earlier denizens of that area there, and a minuscule line of tiny red-dots/boils there, but they come and go, and are not irksome.

P.S. - apply curd regularly on your face, esp. on scars left out by dead/dying pimples, and rub that part well and gently. you would see the results in a few weeks yourselves!

Last edited:

abhidev

Human Spambot
^ thanks for the detailed steps :) ... I used to keep long hair :D...and eventually they became the cause for my hair fall...now I keep short hair and use ayurvedic hair oil every alternate day before going to sleep...But every time I wash my hair...few strands of hair always fall :( Will try using Castor oil and also I don't use shampoo...just a normal bathing soap.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
^^few hairs falling everyday is normal...& every human hair falls everyday

but condition will be critical if just sliding hands over the head sticks bunch of hair (comb/hand)

ashs1

Padawan
Although I don't eat oily food items but I will definitely avoid any.
Pillow covers ??

i think this is the reason why :

Pillow covers has some oily stains because of the oil in your hair. If you sleep on your side, there's a chance that these stains could lead to oily face/acne. Hence, its advised.

abhidev

Human Spambot
^^few hairs falling everyday is normal...& every human hair falls everyday

but condition will be critical if just sliding hands over the head sticks bunch of hair (comb/hand)

Fortunately that's not the case... Hopefully castor oil and curd shall make the situation better

axes2t2

I am a cat
Only wet your hair during the bath.

I have seen some of my friends regularly wet their hair at any tap outside of home to get that 'wet look'.Don't do it.

Hrishi

it's a typical men's-issue!

these problems have to be tackled holistically, even if you take medications for them. i still vividly remember, during my pre-sea training days, near lonavala, esp. during winters, how my hair used to develop superb lustre and health (only the top part, as there wan't significant hair on sides of the head - crew-cut!! ;) ). a well-balanced diet, near-excellent weather, and a regular rigorous physical regimen were the prime reasons for it (those were THE days!).

genetics and climate/weather-conditions aside, if you can dedicate time & efforts, which i feel you should, i will provide some steps pointwise below that you may consider following:

1. whatever the new hip hairstyle making waves in the town, DON'T comb your hair in spike-fashion, or comb them against their 'flow' of growth (ie, if your hair have a growth downwards, comb them in that direction only, and not in the opposite, ie, towards the back).

2. while combing, don't just move the comb touching the hair only. apply pressure to your scalp too. it needs stimulation. also, there are a few wooden head-massagers available in the market, which have their tips rounded off in a ball-shape. take it, and press it againts your scalp at various points, esp. near the forehead where the hairline starts receding, and while pressing it at a point, rotate it 20 times in clockwise manner, and 20 times in the counter manner. this can be done with finger-tips too. choose what you like.

3. massage your scalp with oil before going to bed. not needed daily though. i used to use the famous 'navratna oil' years back, but now i live at a humid place, and hence i use it rarely. if you live at a place with a dry climate, you could use it. but it's said that one should apply only that oil on your body, which can be used for eating as well. hence, most recommended would be to use almond oil, coconut oil. occasionally, you may use castor oil as well. this thick oil is known to stimulate hair-growth on the eyebrows and on the scalp.

4. avoid eating foods that increase heat in the body. too much heat in the body results in the falling of hair. drinking too much tea, coffee, soft-drinks, eating too much junk-food, etc - avoid these. include a good amount of protein in your diet, through nuts, eggs (if you eat eggs), dairy-products, etc. avoid very oily, spicy food. take more of whole foods and a good amount of roughage as well.

5. exercise regularly!! and by that i mean, not the 'old-man-walking' stuff. exercise in a way that you sweat profusely and go out of breath (sweating while doing home-chores doesn't count!! :D ). you can't do such heavy exercise daily though, hence, take rests in between, when you could just brisk walk and 'drink in' fresh air. make sure to practice hand-stands, sheershaasan, etc., which aid in better circulation of blood to your head/scalp. practice these gradually.

6. the urban-dust & pollution is highly detrimental to your scalp and hair-health as well! whenever you have to travel out, wear a cap or a bandana. to wash your hair, use shampoos only occasionally, and that too, a medicated shampoo is what i would recommend. an aanwla-reetha-shikaakaai solution is also a very good concoction to use.

7. no need to sport long hair-like-a-bear. long hair are uneasy and tough to handle, and prone to much falling as well. have a regular hair-cut, and ask the hair-dresser to just trim the ends of your hair on top if you don't want to cut them short. also, at the end, ask him to massage your scalp with the massaging-machine. its a portable hand-held electric massager. you would feel heavenly after one such session!

8. again, i would write, use curd occasionally on your scalp and hair. provides coolness.

9. in a day, keep wetting your hair and scalp with little amount of water. don't dry them completely; let them remain wet for a few minutes.

10. for gels, use either natural aloe-vera extract if you have the plant at your home, otherwise get one without any preservatives in it (for eg, D. Jain's Aloe Vera gel). after applying it in the morning, you could wet/wash your hair and scalp after half a day or in the evening, as it would leave your scalp dry by that time.

11. consult a hair-expert if the problem is severe. but even then, don't forego the above steps. also, you might've observed that wherever i've mentioned the word 'hair' with regards to its care, i've also used the word 'scalp' alongwith it. that's because care for both go together.

i may have forgotten some points to add, but all-in-all, these should suffice. don't get disappointed if you don't get results within days. everyone's body takes its own time to respond, and the time also depends on the severity of the issue. follow suggestions diligently and patiently, and am sure you would get to see good results!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

most of the facewashes are 'eyewashes'!! ;)

commercial advertisements have so much penetrated into our minds, that we almost always tend to misuse our intellect. don't blindly run after such products; rather, take a pause, think, and then take a step.

most of the points that i wrote above apply in your case as well, esp. the food & exercise-part. i know about your self-absorbed type issues from another thread here ;) , but i would simply recommend you to shake it off forcefully! otherwise your mind would try tooth-and-nail to make you your slave! get out, get going! don't think over things, don't brood (this also very much results in acne and black-scars). simply don't think much, exercise your will on your mind, and move out to do some fartlek training, move out with friends, go get drenched in the rains, etc. this is one of the best cures for mind-cravings and skin-problems as well! when your mind is resisting your nudges to follow a good path - simply. exercise. your. force!

and regarding using personal-hygiene stuff, there is absolutely no need to complicate the matter using all kinds of detergents! get a dead sea-salt soap and use it occasionally. i also used to have a very oily-skin, esp. when i used to live at a place with a dry climate (and now when i live at a place with a humid climate, the oiliness has come under a lot of control. life is funny!). regular soaps aggravate the issue, hence, use them very infrequently. get a mild medicated soap. applying a neem-concoction should also help. acne can also be a result of excessive body-heat. hence, avoid contradicting food. apply curd (and pure 'multaani mitti' as well). this acne issue also gets subsided with time for many people. i had the problem of pimples from my teens well to my youth, but it gradually subsided towards the later years. i still get big red boils on my back and boils on my scalp, but that's to do partly with genetics, the place i live at (its a humid place), body-heat. i don't consume very oily food and nor i like spicy stuff. i follow a heavy physical-roster (though not to prevent skin-problems). take a look at one of my pics shot recently, below (i don't like to take snaps of people nor do i like to get my snaps clicked, hence, this is one of those very rare ones i have of myself ;) ):

*i.imgur.com/5oHBjMyl.jpg

here, the patch of my cheek besides my nose and overgrown moustache, that patch used to be dark red & brown in cycles. i used to get a lot of boils & pimples (though not pus-filled) on that area, and our rule of shaving daily, sometimes twice in a day, had aggravated the issue quite a lot! however, due to the above reasons, that issue has subsided to such an extent that at first glance, no one would ever be able to tell that that area of my cheek was a pimple-and-scar home-turf!! ;)
you could still see some faint remnants of the earlier denizens of that area there, and a minuscule line of tiny red-dots/boils there, but they come and go, and are not irksome.

P.S. - apply curd regularly on your face, esp. on scars left out by dead/dying pimples, and rub that part well and gently. you would see the results in a few weeks yourselves!
Thanks for the detailed information. :wink:
I am surely going to adhere to it.

i think this is the reason why :

Pillow covers has some oily stains because of the oil in your hair. If you sleep on your side, there's a chance that these stains could lead to oily face/acne. Hence, its advised.

Oh ,!!! Okay. I though there was something to do with the rubbing of face and dirty pillow covers.

flyingcow

Shibe
Only wet your hair during the bath.

I have seen some of my friends regularly wet their hair at any tap outside of home to get that 'wet look'.Don't do it.

No no, i dont do it for the "wet look" I only do that because i like to take a shower daily :) TY

No...hair need water (bcoz of daily dust accumulating in it)

Yeah I get dust on my face too lol, because i travel too much.

Gollum

Collector
I had pimple issues and I suffered from it for years until I realized that I just need to rinse my face with water just when it feels oily.
Never wash your face with soap.
Use a lemon based facewash or you can also try garnier pure facewash.

Top Bottom