Perfumes Discussion Generals - Scorching hot summer time !

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I don't have much experience but it's better to start with something and build on that. Lets make it a repository for all things specific to India.

A good perfume usually includes 3 Notes
Top Notes
Perceived immediately upon application of a perfume, top notes consist of small, light molecules that evaporate quickly. They form a person's initial impression of a perfume and thus are very important in the selling of the product. The scents of this note class are usually described as "fresh," "assertive" or "sharp."

Middle Notes

The scent of a perfume that emerges just prior to when the top notes dissipate. The middle note compounds form the "heart" or main body of a perfume and emerge in the middle of the perfume's dispersion process. They serve to mask the often unpleasant initial impression of base notes, which become more pleasant with time. Not surprisingly, the scent of middle note compounds is usually more mellow and "rounded." Scents from this note class appear anywhere from two minutes to one hour after the application of a perfume.

Base Notes
The scent of a perfume that appears close to the departure of the middle notes. The base and middle notes together are the main theme of a perfume. Base notes bring depth and solidity to a perfume. Compounds of this class are often the fixatives used to hold and boost the strength of the lighter top and middle notes. Consisting of large, heavy molecules that evaporate slowly, compounds of this class of scents are typically rich and "deep" and are usually not perceived until 30 minutes after the application of the perfume or during the period of perfume dry-down. Some base notes can still be detectable in excess of twenty-four hours after application, particularly the animalic and musk notes.

Categorizing ingredients based on the season. Not necessarily hard and fast rule as lowest notes are pretty much common.

Spring

Green leaves, bergamot, violet leaf, wild strawberry, hyacinth, green apple, lime blossom, jasmine, cassis, rosemary, lily, lilac, amaryllis, sandalwood, civet, white wood, musk, vanilla

Summer
Nectarine, blood orange, mango, tangerine, citrus, melon, fern, passion fruit, coconut milk, pineapple, black currant, lotus, water lily, jasmine, hawthorn, rose, sea water, rhuburb, raspberry, black berry, musk, sandalwood, peach, vanilla, vetiver, amber, incense

Fall
Agarwood, brazillian rosewood, cardamom, sichuan pepper, tonka bean, bergamot, apricot, honey, saffron, star anise, gardenia, licorice, incense, cedar, sandalwood, amber, vanilla, vetiver, woodsy notes

Winter
Coriander, lavender, spicy notes, mint, apricot, plum, coconut, cassia, jasmine, honey, patchouli, caramel, milk, lily of the valley, cedar, tobacco blossom, tonka bean, caraway, tuberose, orchid, rose, plum, cacao, sandalwood, amber, musk, benzoin, vanilla, coffee, almond, dried fruits, woody notes, dark chocolate

A list of common terms (Perfume-Classification) is as follows:
Perfume extract, or simply perfume (extrait): 15–40% (IFRA: typical 20%) aromatic compounds
Esprit de Parfum (ESdP): 15–30% aromatic compounds, a seldom used strength concentration in between EdP and perfume
Eau de Parfum (EdP), Parfum de Toilette (PdT): 10–20% (typical ~15%) aromatic compounds, sometimes listed as "eau de perfume" or "millésime." Parfum de Toilette is a less common term that is generally analogous to Eau de Parfum.
Eau de Toilette (EdT): 5–15% (typical ~10%) aromatic compounds
Eau de Cologne (EdC): Chypre citrus type perfumes with 3–8% (typical ~5%) aromatic compounds. "Original Eau de Cologne" is a registered trademark.
Perfume mist: 3–8% aromatic compounds (typical non-alcohol solvent)
Splash (EdS) and aftershave: 1–3% aromatic compounds. "EdS" is a registered trademark.
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfume

How to apply perfume ?
The "pulse points" are locations on the body where the blood vessels are closest to the skin. These spots emanate heat, which can help fragrance to emanate from your skin into the air. (It's the same principle used by essential oil diffusers). Apply your perfume to these points - namely, the inner wrists, the base of the throat, behind ear lobes, behind knees, and the inner elbows. As you wear your perfume throughout the day, it will react with your body heat and continue to emit scent.

Other characteristics of perfume
Longevity - How long the effect lasts. It ranges from few hours to 12+ hours.

Silage (pronounced as See-YahJ) or Projectivity - It's the measure of how further the trail can be noticed.

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Are you gay ?
(no offence)

I have yet to find a guy (A GUY) that has this much knowledge about perfumes

Focus on topic
May be go outside once in a while and see if you can find men's fragrances section.

Finding info about perfumes is not difficult if you know where to search on internet.

Stay on topic here. If you got some experience to share then do that otherwise steer clear of this thread except for maybe if you grow an interest in it. Thread shitting is not the point of this thread.

tkin

Back to school!!
As far as perfumes go I love to wear them but I'm blind as a bat as far their categories go. When I run out of perfume I usually go to a shop and pick one out(max 500/-), I am using Adidas for quite a while, the blue one.

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
More important is where to apply the perfume..
The "pulse points" are locations on the body where the blood vessels are closest to the skin. These spots emanate heat, which can help fragrance to emanate from your skin into the air. (It's the same principle used by essential oil diffusers). Apply your perfume to these points - namely, the inner wrists, the base of the throat, behind ear lobes, behind knees, and the inner elbows. As you wear your perfume throughout the day, it will react with your body heat and continue to emit scent.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I got a Ferrari perfume because it "smells good". That's about it. Using it for formal parties for 2 years now.

ashs1

Padawan
wow, i am impressed by the OP's post..:thumbs: i didn't know there was this much to discuss in perfumes.. :)

As far as perfumes go I love to wear them but I'm blind as a bat as far their categories go. When I run out of perfume I usually go to a shop and pick one out(max 500/-), I am using Adidas for quite a while, the blue one.

perfectly put !! i don't have a clue about the categories..The only perfume i have is "UDV Paris perfume" which i use rarely ( mostly for formal occasion )

I generally use Old Spice/Playboy/KS/ Wildstone Deodorants. :)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I don't use Perfumes. Or even Deos for that matter. But some colleague of mine advised, I probably should. And with the summer approaching, I think I should start wearing them for sure.
Perhaps this thread will be useful if I decide to buy myself one.

Maybe experienced members can discuss their comparison of different "brands" of perfumes. A kind of review! :)

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I don't use Perfumes. Or even Deos for that matter. But some colleague of mine advised, I probably should. And with the summer approaching, I think I should start wearing them for sure.

Maybe experienced members can discuss their comparison of different "brands" of perfumes. A kind of review! :)

For summers, you would probably go for roll on deos without alcoholic content to keep you dry.

Perfumes are more of a luxury items and creates a sort of individual signature. Start with David Off Cool Water if you may. Good for summers. Obviously, you will find your own signature as you go on.

I don't have much experience with perfumes too. Just learning by trying.

ratul

█████████████████
wow, i never thought of using perfumes, deos for me.. :)
is there any good reason for using perfumes over deo (apart from alcohol in deo) in scorching summers?

wow, you live in delhi too and didn't even use deo in summers? :shock:

moniker

Broken In
is there any good reason for using perfumes over deo (apart from alcohol in deo) in scorching summers?

The primary use for deos is to keep away the bad odour produced by sweating, anti perspirants try to prevent sweating, perfumes keep you smelling good.

That's why I hate those ads that promote deo because "they smell like a perfume". I use deo to prevent body odour, that's it, not to make myself smell like a flower!

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

Perfumes are not deos. They are sort of accentuating your first impression just like how you dress and groom yourself to create a good impression. Ittar is similar to perfume.

And a good perfume reminds of lost good memories just like how people invariably associate music to a particular moment or period in their life.

People have different reasons to use perfumes. Removing body odour may be the least of that.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
colognes is the word, why perfumes ?
the armanis, boss, ck are expensive, i don' bother.. LOL
well yeah scents remind you of people..!!

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Both words mean same. Here is the distinction based on strength of aromatic compounds.

A list of common terms (Perfume-Classification) is as follows:
Perfume extract, or simply perfume (extrait): 15–40% (IFRA: typical 20%) aromatic compounds
Esprit de Parfum (ESdP): 15–30% aromatic compounds, a seldom used strength concentration in between EdP and perfume
Eau de Parfum (EdP), Parfum de Toilette (PdT): 10–20% (typical ~15%) aromatic compounds, sometimes listed as "eau de perfume" or "millésime." Parfum de Toilette is a less common term that is generally analogous to Eau de Parfum.
Eau de Toilette (EdT): 5–15% (typical ~10%) aromatic compounds
Eau de Cologne (EdC): Chypre citrus type perfumes with 3–8% (typical ~5%) aromatic compounds. "Original Eau de Cologne" is a registered trademark.
Perfume mist: 3–8% aromatic compounds (typical non-alcohol solvent)
Splash (EdS) and aftershave: 1–3% aromatic compounds. "EdS" is a registered trademark.
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfume
Boils down to how much you need to spray over and how long it can last.

And the way some perfumes are pronounced is cool too. I know most people here don't bother due to the demography attracted to this forum.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Essential watch: Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

really great movie, and a crash course in perfume.

ratul

█████████████████
The primary use for deos is to keep away the bad odour produced by sweating, anti perspirants try to prevent sweating, perfumes keep you smelling good.

That's why I hate those ads that promote deo because "they smell like a perfume". I use deo to prevent body odour, that's it, not to make myself smell like a flower!

oh, so that's what those girls put on, who can make the whole metro compartment smell like jasmine.. :p

Perfumes are not deos. They are sort of accentuating your first impression just like how you dress and groom yourself to create a good impression. Ittar is similar to perfume.

And a good perfume reminds of lost good memories just like how people invariably associate music to a particular moment or period in their life.

People have different reasons to use perfumes. Removing body odour may be the least of that.

too much sentiments in one post.. :blush:

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
I use deo to prevent body odour, that's it, not to make myself smell like a flower!

Isn't perfume also a deo. With its good smell, it will cancel out the body odour ?

Not sure if this is correct. I've heard perfume should not be directly sprayed over skin (because it can harm the skin)

This might sound stupid but bost of the times I've bought perfumes by looking at the how nice the bottle looks.

Top Bottom