Pen Suggestion - Pilot V5 alternative

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm a Pilot V5 pen user. For those who don't know, this is Pilot v5 - Pilot V5 (Pack of 2) - Flipkart.com

The pen is expensive, costs Rs. 50 in pack of 3. Rs. 70 stand alone. But the ink is Rs. 10 and can refill upto 4 pens.

Now the problem which I face these days is, the quality of their inks has diminished and the body colour of the pen "peels" off. I don't mind the body colour peeling off, but I want the pen should work properly after refilling.

I can't use ball pens. I don't "press" while writing. I write in flow. Mainly because I was using fountain pens till I was 14. Then I moved over to Pilot. Blue Gel pens for some weird reasons have a "Turquoise" ink which I don't like and they pose the same issue which Ball pens pose. Flow is less.

The only pen which I know can be a proper replacement is Reynlods Trimax. Reynolds Trimax

What I want to know is, do I have other alternatives? I don't mind paying Rs. 500 for a pen if it is easily & cheaply refillable and also offers me the flow which Pilot V5 offers.

Suggestions please.

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
I'm a Pilot V5 pen user. For those who don't know, this is Pilot v5 - Pilot V5 (Pack of 2) - Flipkart.com

The pen is expensive, costs Rs. 50 in pack of 3. Rs. 70 stand alone. But the ink is Rs. 10 and can refill upto 4 pens.

Now the problem which I face these days is, the quality of their inks has diminished and the body colour of the pen "peels" off. I don't mind the body colour peeling off, but I want the pen should work properly after refilling.

I can't use ball pens. I don't "press" while writing. I write in flow. Mainly because I was using fountain pens till I was 14. Then I moved over to Pilot. Blue Gel pens for some weird reasons have a "Turquoise" ink which I don't like and they pose the same issue which Ball pens pose. Flow is less.

The only pen which I know can be a proper replacement is Reynlods Trimax. Reynolds Trimax

What I want to know is, do I have other alternatives? I don't mind paying Rs. 500 for a pen if it is easily & cheaply refillable and also offers me the flow which Pilot V5 offers.

Suggestions please.
well i use cello gripper....

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
You can try Parker with a V.Fine refill(not Fine). The ink is rich and dark and tip feels similar to Pilot v5.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can try Parker with a V.Fine refill(not Fine). The ink is rich and dark and tip feels similar to Pilot v5.
[strike]yes, that is a good suggestion but I think Parker refills are expensive. I can buy a new Pilot V5 for that price!![/strike]

okay, they aren't expensive. Which Parker pen would you recommend? Beta?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
yes, that is a good suggestion but I think Parker refills are expensive. I can buy a new Pilot V5 for that price!!

With Great quality comes great price. :eek::p

- - - Updated - - -

You can also take a look at Add Gel Achiever.

Parker Frontier stainless steel edition. Best pen ever.
I got it for around 600 bucks, must be lower now...

I assume you're writing records for college "been there, done that" :D

- - - Updated - - -

Parker Frontier Stainless Steel GT Roller Ball Pen - Buy Parker Frontier Stainless Steel GT Roller Ball Pen - Roller Ball Pen Online at Best Prices in India Only at Flipkart.com
~550 bucks
Buy this and I tell you, you won't regret it. It has a 2 years warranty for gods sake!

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Parker Frontier stainless steel edition. Best pen ever.
I got it for around 600 bucks, must be lower now...

I assume you're writing records for college "been there, done that" :D

- - - Updated - - -

Parker Frontier Stainless Steel GT Roller Ball Pen - Buy Parker Frontier Stainless Steel GT Roller Ball Pen - Roller Ball Pen Online at Best Prices in India Only at Flipkart.com
~550 bucks
Buy this and I tell you, you won't regret it. It has a 2 years warranty for gods sake!
is it refillable? which ink to buy for that?

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
OFFTOPIC:
I have always found the problem of ink flow getting blocked due to paper fibers with those Pilots, UniBalls, sundry gel pens. I finally come back to ball pens.
Currently my favourite is Reynolds CHAMP.
[MENTION=26711]ico[/MENTION]
What sort of paper do you write on?
[MENTION=22610]hsr[/MENTION]
I would like to try that too once Flipkart starts delivering here. Or may be I could find it on Amazon.

Of course it's refillable, but then again being a parker the refill will set you back by 200 or so (depends on the ink type) it lets you write roughly 1000m per refill, mine had an extra black one with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Parker Frontier Matte Black CT Roller Ball Pen - Luxor
This is the non metallic version, directly from Luxor.

Luxor - Search Results for "parker frontier "
Search page with all the frontiers :3

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
used Trimax for the last 4 years of school. pretty good pen. used pilot v5 for a year before that and couldn't refill the pen myself. :|

now using Rs 3 use-n-throw ball pens. (for the speed)

Last edited:
OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ it's easy. Just take out that filter and then drop. Put it back in.

Suggest me good ink.

I'm thinking of filling up Pilot V5 with some other inks.

I'd say Pilot gives far more durability compared to Uniballs and Reynolds (peronal opinion). However, Parker is in its own league :D

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Also check out Rotomac Fluid, cheapest of the lot (Rs 35 pen cost), but also inferior ink as compared to Reynolds..
Id say writing is a little bit smoother as pen is thinner than Reynolds

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
I like stabilo black rollerballs : Stabilo Roller Ball Pen - Buy Stabilo Roller Ball Pen - Roller Ball Pen Online at Best Prices in India Only at Flipkart.com

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll try filling Pilot V5 with 'Parker Quink' ink. Let's see what happens. Need to get a syringe first.

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
I can predict it for you...
Firstly fountain pen inks are not waterproof so they can dry up if not used causing clogging in tip
secondly fountain pen inks are a lot more diluted than inks for rollerballs so the resulting writing may be very faint...

Hrishi

I don't have much use of pens these days , but when I was in School and college I fell in love with Uniball pens.
Used to cost around 60-70 bucks , and their ink was dark , and felt smooth.
They don't last very long though.

Currently I am using Parker Vector stainless steel. Probably the best pen I have used till date in terms of Build quality and Precision.

Top Bottom