zeest

Broken In
I have the following configuration right now:
3.0 Ghz P4 HT
Asrock 775 Dual 915GL motherboard
512MB DDR RAM
80GB HD
400W PSU

I want to upgrade my pc. I have about 13k for upgrading the motherboard, ram and graphics card. DX10 support is not very important but it doesn't hurt either.
Performance is important i want to play games till crysis at mid at 1024x768. Please tell me if its possible. If not crysis then tell me till what generation games will i be able to play? U can also recommend some changes in the configuration within the budget. Thank you.:)

Last edited:

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
u have ddr1 ram . .. u'll need ram too . .so go4 amd.

galaxy / POV geforce 8600GT 256mb gddr3 - 5k
asus m2a vm - 3.2k
2x1gb transcend ddr2 800mhz = 2k
amd x2 4200+ = 3.2k

when do u intend to upgrade again ?

if u can upgrade ur proccy and mobo after a few months , just for geforce 8800GT now around 14k. but u'll need a psu costing around 3.5k . . .so can u spend 17k now and upgrade mobo and proccy later ?

OP
Z

zeest

Broken In
I didn't miss that thread. But i wanted to do some changes according to my budget.
So please tell me if the configuration that sagar mentioned is good enough?
I want a good upgrade right now so that i don't need to upgrade later.
Budget extended to 15k now. Is there a better graphics card for some price in my budget.

I was thinking that if this is good enough?
processor-?
motherboard- xfx 650i ultra
ram 2 x 1 gb 800mhz dual channel
7900gs
I don't know the prices. So please tell me.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
650i U: 4.8k
2*1Gb 800Mhz: 2.2k
7900GS: 8k
so there is no room for proccy.

I think u for 15k, this wud be best as sagargv suggested. but with some changes
MSI K9A GM3: 2.8k
POV 8600GT: 5k
2*1G DDR2 667: 1.7k
AMD X2 5200+: 4.6k
Zeb 500W Platinum: 1.7k
------------------------

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
@zeest sell off ur present 512MB ram and get 2*1GB ram.dont buy anthing else now.let the price of 8800GT 256MB/512MB drop a little and then buy one.
if u wanna upgrade mobo and procy too then go for:
C2D E4500 - 4.5k
XFX 630i - 3.5k
2*1GB DDR2 667 - 2k
Galaxy 8600GT 256MB DDR3 - 5k
total comes to 15k

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
Agreed with hellgate
Just upgrade your RAM to 3 GB and wrt Graphics Card, you can wait a little longer

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
@zeest i think it would be wise to use the sticky thread choto cheeta said. there will be more people who can give you advise.

i'm not inclined towards suggesting xfx 630i as it has only single channel memory. i think dominator's suggestion would be ideal for u but i think a few hunderd bucks more for 800 mhz ram may be worth it ?

these new components are by no means today's high end . i would say they come under the low-mid end. and the 8600 is today's entry level card . so this pc is not all that future proof.this upgrade would be ideal if u use this new pc for about one year or a bit more than that. if u intend to use it a bit longer , then reconsider buying only the g-card now and updating the rest later.

ps

the 7900GS would have been an ideal choice a few months when the price of 8600 was around 8k .i regret buying my 8600 for 8k . but all games coming out today are for dx10 although they run in dx9. so 7900 is no longer recommended . so even though 8600 is not powerful enough to run dx10 games in full glory , against 7900GS the cheaper 8600 is preferred these days. instead of getting 7900 for 9k , its much better to put in 14k and get the beast 8800GT . if u're interested in taking the other path i suggested , find out the prices of hd 3850 / 3870 also , they'll be a lot better than the 8600.

Last edited:
OP
Z

zeest

Broken In
I am getting confused. After reading all ur posts i think this will be good
MSI K9A GM3: 2.8k
POV 8600GT: 5k
2*1G DDR2 667: 1.7k
AMD X2 5200+: 4.6k
Total- 14.1k
But is this configuration good enough? The main problem is with money. Damn! I am not rich. I just want to play games at mid at 1024 x 768 resolution, not more than that.
And is this processor better than e4500?

@zeest sell off ur present 512MB ram and get 2*1GB ram.dont buy anthing else now.let the price of 8800GT 256MB/512MB drop a little and then buy one.
@ hellgate I have ddr ram, which is very expensive nowadays. In that price i can get a new motherboard in that price.

Please ppl help me out. I want to upgrade soon.

By the way is 8800gt 256 mb available now? And at what price?

Last edited:

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
how soon is soon. . .. well , assuming u do it in a month .. the config u rote in the above post is good , go with it .. the 8800GT is around 15k now .so forget about it..

the e4500 will be better if overclocked but u'll need a decent board too . u'll need a xfx 650i or abit ip35 . so for low budget , stick with amd . at stock speeds amd will beat c2d.

and also find out if the smps u already own is good( just tell us all the ratings and company name ) . otherwise go with zebby 500W pure platinum

OP
Z

zeest

Broken In
I will upgrade within a month. I want to buy all the above products but they will not be available in my city i think. Shall i buy them from theitwares.com? Will this configuration be able to run crysis at mid at 1024x768?
I don't know about the specifications of the psu. I will try to find out. The pc is branded thats why. But i think it will be good enough.

But i was thinking that isn't my processor good enough to play games at mid? I was thinking that i will upgrade the processor later. Because processors are not very expensive. And alternative configuration comes out to be
3.0 Ghz P4 HT
XFX 650i ultra- 4.9k
2 x 1GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM- 2.2k
XFX 8600GT -5.1k
Total- 12.2k
How this?

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Upgrading the proccy later is a super excellent idea. Buy a mobo that will support intels upcoming penryn processor.
If you play on XP, you will do fine even with that proccy. I have a P4, 2.66GHz processor, 1G RAM and an 8500GT and even I can play crysis pretty well( on low settings though, but it is still fun). And you will play other games with good settings. I play COD4 in strictly medium settings without a lag.

If nothing else, ( later) you will at least get a better C2D. for the same money. And I think you will also manage more money by then.
Your processor is not too lame at the moment. Believe me( mine is !)

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
@zeest if u decide to keep proccy , do u intend to change it within 8-9 months ? otherwise , u'll be restricted to c2d's wolfdale . the nehalem proccy's wont support xfx 650i or abit ip35 .. .and do consider 8800GT . but u'll need a psu costing about 3.5k for that card.

you have to decide two things so that we can help you without confusing you with too many options.
1. buying card now and changing proccy later OR going for amd as dominator suggested
2. if u will buy proccy later , when will that be and a rough idea of what u're budget will be later.

if u intend to upgrade proccy after a year and choose to go to nehalem , there is no point in changing mobo now.

if u're budget will be restricted for the next buy , AND/OR if u upgrade within a year , xfx 650i or abit ip35 now + ur existing proccy will be good.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Game performance will be gr8ly depend on Gcard nd not on CPU. A powerful CP just eliminates some CPU bottleneck.
That means
X2 4400+ + 8800GT is gar greater than E6850+8600GT as far as gaming is considered, nd both combos are at same price range.
Get a mobo, memory + 8800GT now, nd upgrade CPU later.

OP
Z

zeest

Broken In
Buddy 8800Gt is very expensive to manage for me right now.
1. buying card now and changing proccy later OR going for amd as dominator suggested
2. if u will buy proccy later , when will that be and a rough idea of what u're budget will be later.
1. i will buy the card now and change proccy later
2. about 6 months after i think i will be able to buy a new processor. And the budget will not be more than 4-5k.
I m just a college student, i can't manage more money. I have to keep asking for money from my parents. And extracting money from them is very difficult. I had accumulated this money by selling my mobile phone and graphics card.

So what do u guys can finally suggest me?

I know that 8800GT is a fantastic card for its price but i can't manage that much money.

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
@dom1nator he wont be able to cram all of mobo,ram and 8800GT in 15k.and if he buys a 8800GT he'll be needing a decent enuf psu which alone wud set him back by another 3k.

i think a oc'd E2140/E2160 wud serve him good for bout an yr.wat do u say??

@zeest ahv a look at this config:

E2140 - 2.5k
XFX 650i Ultra - 4.8k
2*1GB DDR2 667 - 2k
XFX 8600GT - 5k

total is 14.3k.
if u want u get the E2160.then total will come to bout 15k.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
^^E2140 is not dat gud if is he is not intending to OC. Its better if he stick with his old procy and go for a new one later when he gets the money...

zeest.....according to me, u better take the config dOm1naTOr first mentioned. Its the best according to ur situations.

OP
Z

zeest

Broken In
So is this configuration ok?
XFX 650i ultra- 4.9k
2 x 1GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM- 2.2k
XFX 8600GT -5.1k
Total- 12.2k
Or should i make any changes in it. I will buy the proccy later.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
ok . thats gr8 but dont get the card from XFX . get from POV or galaxy . if u're getting from xfx make sure its the "udd" or "use" version . dont buy "udf" series , it has heating problems.

regarding the choice of motherboard , abit ip35 mobo is gaining popularity . between the two( 650i and ip35 ) , i dont know. ask others and i think choto cheeta should give valuable suggestions for this.

and if u can manage get a zebby 500W pure platinum smps .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom