PC upgrade for CAD design

spm

Journeyman
1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: CAD design using Pro-E, solidworks, Catia, Autocad. etc, movies, music, some casual gaming

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: yes.

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: around 15k

4. Planning to overclock?
A: no

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: windows 7

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: needs advice. I have a old IDE drive from my p4 based system. if i use it for now will it bottleneck the system. if yes i need a new HDD. anything above 250GB. otherwise i don't need one.

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: 1360 x 768

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 7

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: myself

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: two weeks max

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: if possible

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: monitor, UPS, keyboard, mouse, DVD drive, printer HP psc 1210

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: pathanamthitta in kerala. Can buy from trivandrum

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A:I would be needing a Proccy, MB, Ram, PSU and if possible a GPU in my budget

d3p

PowerHouse
Your budget is very low for the Purpose you have mentioned, but still let me give a try.

Component | Make | Price Processor |AMD Athlon II x4 635|4000
Motherboard |Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H|3400
RAM |G.Skill F3-10666CL9S-2GBNQ|1100
PSU |FSP Saga II 400W|1600
| Total |10100

For GPU you can opt for Sapphire HD 5670 1GB - 5k.

BTW you don't want a Cabinet ???

If yes then get a Zebronics Bijlli or CM Elite 310 - 1k or 1.5k

OP
S

spm

Journeyman
yah i know the budget is too low... but guess i will have to make up with that for now.
and I have a cabinet from my old PC. so will not be wanting one.

also is the HD 6000 series GPU better than the HD 5000s for the design purpose or is it Nvidia.

BTW i called up two or three dealers here and both of them dont have any athlon II x4 products, havnt heard of FSP and don't have anyof the products and will have to get them on order.

OP
S

spm

Journeyman
i was thinking of managing with my current HDD for now. and buying a new one later.

BTW i stumbled upon this in SMC Asus M4A88TMLE for Rs.3900.
is it good. It has the 880g chipset.

d3p

PowerHouse
@Vicky: OP already has an IDE HDD, not sure of the size as he hasn't mentioned.

As well as the Mobo suggested also supports one IDE HDD, so no worries.

@SPM: Usage of 6XXX series GPU's will have a bigger impact on the budget you have mentioned.

Either you increase your budget or use a 5670, coz thats the best bet you can get at that budget.

OP
S

spm

Journeyman
k. i guess will go with the HD 5670.
what about the motherboard i mentioned Asus M4A88TMLE, is it better than the Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H.

d3p

PowerHouse
GA-MA785GMT-US2H is far better than Asus M4A88TMLE.

Compare these two links.

1. ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS M4A88T-M LE

2. GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3 - GA-MA785GMT-US2H (rev. 3.3)

OP
S

spm

Journeyman
pc upgrade

I have an old system with a pentium D proccy and a intel 865gsa chipset board with 256*2 ddr ram. I would like to upgrade the MB, Ram and a GPU.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: cad software, movies, gaming, music

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: yes

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 8k

4. Planning to overclock?
A: no

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: win 7

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: NA

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: 1024 x 768

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 7

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: myself

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: within two weeks

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: if possible

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: monitor, processor, keyboard, mouse, UPS, cab,

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: kerala

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: I would need a mother board for pentium D 2.6 Ghz proccy, prefarably ddr3 ram, and a GPU.

thanks in advance

Razor 1911

Broken In
Re: pc upgrade

Its better to upgrade the Cpu too.Here's the config:

AMD Athlon X2 250 - Rs 2500
Asus M4a78-le - Rs 2600
Corsair 2GB DDR3 - Rs 1100
Sapphire HD 6570 1 GB GDDR5 - Rs 4000
Total:Rs 10200

Sell your Old Cpu/MB/Ram Gpu to get it to 8.5k

OP
S

spm

Journeyman

will try to get the config. but if am not able to do that. iguess i could lower the GPU spec as i think it may be overkill for the cpu. Am i right?

Razor 1911

Broken In

No it isnt.The Gpu is quite adequate and Future Proof
To cut costs try out HD 6450.Its 1k lower in terms of Price

d3p

PowerHouse

If i'm not wrong then the following thread is same as the below from the same user.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/140324-pc-upgrade-cad-design.html

Thread Reported.

OP
S

spm

Journeyman
both were supposed to be different threads as both r not for me and they are for two of my friends and both have different needs and budgets. thats why two threads were created

Top Bottom