Which is better for gaming.....?

• i5 3570k with hd 7950

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • fx 8350 with hd7970

Votes: 15 60.0%

• Total voters

Cilus

laborare est orare
Exactly. I7 is recommended for highly Multi-threaded environments where the software suits can utilize 8 thread processing capability of i7. But for gaming, i5 is more than enough, especially if you can get a K series one.

So i5 K series + HD 7970 or FX-8350 + HD 7970 should be OP's choice depending upon his budget.

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
He has a good budget so he can easily go for it although this much power not needed
amd rig should also be fine ....
If we compare practically both amd and i5 rig will give same performance practically we won't notice a huge difference now but after a year or so things could be quite different...

OP
L

Lop

Broken In
you are mad...
go to hell...
wasted my time..
you:Chihuahua:..
i did not expect this in a tech forum

anyways m thinking about this
Processor : Intel Core i5 3570K - Rs 13,812
Motherboard : GA-Z77X-UD3H - Rs 12,075
GPU : Asus DC2T HD 7970 3GB : Rs 30,500
HDD - WD Black 1TB - Rs 5,900
RAM:G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB (F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL) *2 @3.3k
PSU:Corsair TX 650 V2@5.8k
DvD Drive:Asus DRW-24B3ST@1.1k
Cabinet:Carbide 400r@4.6k
Monitor:DELL ST2240L @9k
CPU Cooler:Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO @2.1k

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
He has a good budget so he can easily go for it although this much power not needed
If we compare practically both amd and i5 rig will give same performance practically we won't notice a huge difference now but after a year or so things could be quite different...

after a yr or so Intel config would be a glorified junk..but amd will still have horsepower to go :p

OP
L

Lop

Broken In
BUT If i go with this i save 5k
AMD FX 8350 @ 12.5K (it is reported to be retailing at 11.5K in Neheru Place)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo @ 2.2K
MSI 990FX-GD65 @ 9K
G.Skill RipjawsX 1600 MHz DDR3 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) @ 3.3K
WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD (64 MB Cache, SATA 6 Gbps) @ 5.9K
Asus DC2T HD 7970 3GB @ 30.5K
Corsair TX 650V2 @ 5.8K
Asus DRW-24B3ST @ 1.1K
Corsair Carbide 400R @ 4.6K
Dell ST2240L @ 9K

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
after a yr or so Intel config would be a glorified junk..but amd will still have horsepower to go :p

in that case op can go with amd rig but he is already considering intel rig....

And also amd (company) has a questionable future ....(i seriously don't want this happen )
Technology News - CNET News

Cilus

laborare est orare

Please make a full config within 85K exluding UPS and OS with the inclusion of the following components:-
1. i7 2600K/3770K
2. A good Z77 Motherboard
3. HD 7970

Sumon, as I mentioned earlier, what will happen in future can't be any deciding factor but only a value added benefit. If OP can squeeze a i5 3570K along with a HD 7970 within his budget then OP can go with it. At least in gaming performance, the Intel config will hold its ground strongly. If OP asked for productivity applications then FX-8350 would have been much future proof config due to its better Multi-threaded performance, better instruction set support and promise of improvement in performance after the release of Windows 8 Power Saver and Scheduling update. But for gaming point of view, Intel rig has its own advantage.

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
If amd is gone we won't have any other choice left I.e. no competition for intel I don't think it will happen its mostly unlikely case.....

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
After a year or so AMD the company itself might become a glorified junk as reports are going around in the stock markets!:p

well...going by those "reports" AMD have died a many deaths by now....but sadly the bugger wont die..ya know...its sad...i almost feel sorry for the reporters in stock markets :p

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
Please make a full config within 85K exluding UPS and OS with the inclusion of the following components:-
1. i7 2600K/3770K
2. A good Z77 Motherboard
3. HD 7970

its already there in post 38...
I m considering of buying that...

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
well...going by those "reports" AMD have died a many deaths by now....but sadly the bugger wont die..ya know...its sad...i almost feel sorry for the reporters in stock markets :p

^^ That would honestly play doom for us consumers. We want AMD to fall back stronger. Wish Steamroller does it real big this time. And the chipset business should again have a third player, may Nvidia come in to the scene!!!

draco21

Dragon...Dragon...Dragon.
^^How can it be sad??

HD 7970 is better than 680
HD 7990 is better than 690
HD 7950 is almost equivalent to 670 (With a price difference

I know that we are talking of processor here but is AMD company goes off wont these graphics cards??

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
Buddy go for that amd rig its cost effective....
And I know including a 7970 will shoot the budget higher than 85k ~87k... in my rig
i already considered that
(I m hardly managing 80k. .Can't go above that so..)

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
Post the prices too, not just the config you have decided to buy.

updated......
the prices are quoted from my thread i haven't really verified all of them so i didn't mentioned it...
i just tried to gave an idea he could also go with i7 if op chooses....
no offense....

Gigabyte G1.Sniper M3 Z77 link
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB (ST2000DM001)
total 81k upperlimit...

^^ That would honestly play doom for us consumers. We want AMD to fall back stronger. Wish Steamroller does it real big this time. And the chipset business should again have a third player, may Nvidia come in to the scene!!!

i think nvidia is doing pretty much ok with its graphic cards only......

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^How can it be sad??

HD 7970 is better than 680

Not outright. The updated ghz edition is tad faster owing to faster clocks.
7970 offers better value coz of lower price.

HD 7990 is better than 690

7990 doesn't exist officially. They were custom cards from powercolor.
690 is the official sole player and it has its own pros.

HD 7950 is almost equivalent to 670 (With a price difference)

This is true but i would pick the 670 paying 3k more.
Being almost equal in framerates isn't the only decider. There are other factors involved

I know that we are talking of processor here but is AMD company goes off wont these graphics cards??

Replies in bold. Actually the desktop gpu market is not the only factor. There are several others and AMD had turned down a lot of opportunities in the past ( sold its mobile gpu platform Adreno to qualcomm). Just imagine how much money Amd would have made with it. Nvidia tegra is a very good example here. Tegra 3 is making millions now and is actually a default platform choice in most popular devices.

Intel is already giving a more than stiff competition in the x86 market. Amd is completely dominated there which publicly led them to admit this fact.
In gpu segment, its not like they are dominating. Kepler is again giving a stiff competition and forced them again to drop prices. This does affect revenue but sometimes, you have little choices to make. Reports suggest that kepler has given nvidia profits never seen before .

This all more or less sums everything. But AMD isn't gonna back down anytime soon. It has lots of tricks up its sleeve.

I'm eager to see what GCN 2 and steamroller bring to the table. Besides, they have a potentially capable APU segment which has numerous possibilities to be incorporated in full fledged x86 tablets
which is an emerging market.

draco21

Dragon...Dragon...Dragon.
Comparing 7970 and 680ti and 7990 and 690

Radeon HD 7970 and GeForce GTX 680 tested with 10 CPUs - Max Payne 3 | Hardware.Info United Kingdom
*www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/powercolor_devil13_hd7990_review/
The Best Graphics Cards: Nvidia vs. AMD Current-Gen Comparison - TechSpot

Also about AMD going bankrupt, i just realised that it wont affect Graphics cards as is is still ATI that makes cards and will probably be sold to some other company or go back to being its own organization.

But i doubt.Remember Apple.....

Also

Top Bottom