Pc keeps on restarting ??? Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriot

SixAxis TechNolOgy
I bought a new system a week ago
P-4 Dual core, 2GB ram, 320GB HDD, running winxp sp2
It worked fine the first day, but then when i connected it to the net at night, i dunno what happened, now whenever i use use internet, for the first 2 min, it works fine and then BAM, restart
Without net, it works fine for at least 3 hrs and then restart
Sometime it keeps on restarting after i spend 5min on my desktop
It even restarts when i use NERO to save my data frm other partitions
And last, it hangs for 2 to 3 seconds b4 restart
One of my friend told me that it's a spyware, so i scanned with quick heal but it didnt show anything.
plz help, i'd really appreciate it

try sending error reports to windows, if there are any hardware problems they will tell you, if you think its spyware try some popular spyware removal tools, and antivrus tools

xyanna

Broken In
it's not spyware, sounds like a hardware problem see the cpu temperature with speedfan, maybe it is overheating.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
If it works fine for hours without connecting to the Internet, but always restarts soon after connecting, it's unlikely to be an overheating issue. Browsing is a very undemanding work for modern hardware and would not cause overheating.

If it's at all a hardware problem, it could be related to the RAM or a bad sector. Some new HDDs do have bad sectors, but they get replaced with spare sectors after a surface scan and become invisible afterwards. The restart could be triggered by trying to access a specific area of the RAM or HDD.

The OP could investigate by testing his RAMs with memtest86 and doing a surface scan of the HDD.

But it could well be a software problem - malware (virus, spyware.....), a buggy prog, faulty installation, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom