PC for gaming/image processing for around 80k

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Y only CF or SLI config?Wat abt single GPU like 5870/5970?

6850 CF better than 5870 at same price. also 6870 in cf is better than 5970 at lower price.

Get a Intel Core i7 930+ processor

IMO, get a 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz+ RAM

If you are in mid-high extreme gaming, then I recommend you to go with HD 5850 and if you're fully in gaming then HD 6xxx series is there waiting for you. :p

i7 950 is much better at just 1k more. why go for 5850 when 6870 at lower price performs better.?

Last edited:
OP
teknoPhobia

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
I have more or less finalized on the following config after takinginto account the various inputs, however I still have to confirm the price of the Dell U2311H:

CPU AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
RAM Corsair 4GB x2
MoBo Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
GPU Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
Case Keep my present Zebronics "New York"
HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB + the 1TB from my current system
Optical Drive Any decent SATA DVD writer
PSU Corsair VX 550W Should be adequate
Sound My ancient SB Live 5.1

Monitor Dell U2211H/U2311H
Kb/Mouse Microsoft Wired
Spkrs Logitech X 230

Should be within 75-80k

Cilus

laborare est orare
Get a Nvidia based GPU as their Tessellation performance is better than equivalent ATI based counterparts. My suggestion will be a single GTX 470.

rajan1311

Padawan
the GTX470 is more or less on par with the HD6870 even with tessellation on...it will only improve with more mature drivers..

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ right. HD6*** series have improved tessellation. ok, you loose out a few FPS here & there but i think most will prefer a cooler, silent & less power-hungry GPU to a waterheater.

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
I'll suggest -

I7 950 @ 15k
Msi x58 pro-e @10.5k
3*4 GB ddr3 1333mhz @ 12k
2 * msi radeon HD 6870 @ 30k
Corsair tx750 @ 7k
Cooler master elite 430 black @ 3.5k
DVD writer from lite-on @ 1k
Dell ST2220 22" LED monitor @ 8.5k
Speakers of your choice @ 3k
K+m from razor @ 4k
Apc 1100 back ups 2 cell battery @ 7k
Cost = approximate 90k

OP
teknoPhobia

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
@ cybertronic, I am honestly not interested in a power hungry setup so twin GPUs are out. The primary reason for this PC is image processing, so I will definitely buy one of the Dells with IPS panels. I agree that the argument about the overall cost of the AMD system being lower really doesn't hold good here, but somehow I am still leaning towards AMD, maybe because I've been using AMD based systems since the Athlons first came out. :)

OP
teknoPhobia

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
Got the price of the dell U2311H - 14,750 shipped. I have decided to go for the X6, the total cost is coming to around 75k.

Thanks everyone for your inputs, my apologies to the people who recommended the Intel Core chips :)

pegasus

Journeyman
@ cybertronic, I am honestly not interested in a power hungry setup so twin GPUs are out. The primary reason for this PC is image processing, so I will definitely buy one of the Dells with IPS panels. I agree that the argument about the overall cost of the AMD system being lower really doesn't hold good here, but somehow I am still leaning towards AMD, maybe because I've been using AMD based systems since the Athlons first came out. :)
Since you won't be trying CF, you can get a good, feature-rich yet inexpensive ATX motherboard for your X6 setup.
Take a look at ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 - 5.7K approx *www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=nlWYrI9wlNIYHAaa
or ASUS M4A87TD EVO - 6.3K approx *www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=YATvwCy0OZLGNWwp
ATX, SB850, SATA 6Gbps, USB 3.0, EPU for power saving, ...
*event.asus.com/mb/2010/Dual_Intelligent_Processors/

To get a rough idea on prices- *www.deltapage.com/list/index.html