PC extremely slow and hangs up quite often

ajayritik

Technomancer
Currently my PC has become extremely slow and hangs up quite often. I have a decent Antivirus so not sure whether the problem is with some virus infection.

Is there something I can do to check if there is some virus, trojan etc.

Operating System: Windows XP SP2
Antivirus:Bit Secure
Firewall:Comodo

Kindly help!

Last edited:

Tech&ME

Banned
First post your complete system specs.

With the version of windows installed , i.e. Windows XP Pro SP1, etc.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Windows get bogged down and slows down after long term use.

Disable all unrequired processes from Task manager.
iTunes, Adobe quick launcher,etc

Do a scan & cleanup using this-

CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Disable all unrequired processes from Task manager.
iTunes, Adobe quick launcher,etc

Do a scan & cleanup using this-

CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download
Already disabled unwanted processes etc.
Already have CCleaner and using it often.

Please do a full scan, and report back.

Also, download HiJackThis and send back the log.
Already done a full scan and found some minor things which I have deleted. These look like some cracks etc which have been detected by antivirus as threat.
Will surely check Hijack this.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Please post a image of all process in Task manager. I have a suspicion of virus infection.

Also try a scan with this-
HouseCall - Free Online Virus Scan - Trend Micro USA

Tech&ME

Banned
Already disabled unwanted processes etc.
Already have CCleaner and using it often.

Already done a full scan and found some minor things which I have deleted. These look like some cracks etc which have been detected by antivirus as threat.
Will surely check Hijack this.

You are surely in trouble. You defenitely have dangerous and malicious trojon in your computer.

I will recommend you to take a backup of all important files from your computer and then Re-Install windows XP to get rid of it.

This is the best method, I guess.

gameranand

Living to Play
Hmm you could have a real bichin Virus in your system. Or maybe your hardware is malfunctioning I was facing this problem and did all things for nothing only to find that my CPU temp is too high. :D:D

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
1. monitor cpu usage , to see if any particular process is responsible.
2. Disable unnecessary startup apps.
3. try changing the antivirus(security essentials). Sometimes a bad antivirus is responsible for slowing things down .

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
Ur best bet is to backup(On a External or Spare HDD) and perform a clean reinstall of OS & before installing any software or drivers install the Antivirus first update it then perform all the other tasks

BTW Microsoft Security Essentials is a good one but u have to use a genuine copy of windows to install it.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@OP, do you shut down your PC properly everytime or just press the UPS switch?

also download & install Emsisoft Antimalware & do a full PC scan.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
@OP, do you shut down your PC properly everytime or just press the UPS switch?

also download & install Emsisoft Antimalware & do a full PC scan.
I shut down the PC everytime the conventional way. Would there be some folks who would turn off the UPS Swith instead? Sure?
BitSecure ??

That Doesn't sound Good ///

Try a boot time scan with avast free ..
Will surely try bro!
Ur best bet is to backup(On a External or Spare HDD) and perform a clean reinstall of OS & before installing any software or drivers install the Antivirus first update it then perform all the other tasks

BTW Microsoft Security Essentials is a good one but u have to use a genuine copy of windows to install it.
The problem is I don't have a spare HDD atleast not which can hold the data I have currently on my HDD.
1. monitor cpu usage , to see if any particular process is responsible.
2. Disable unnecessary startup apps.
3. try changing the antivirus(security essentials). Sometimes a bad antivirus is responsible for slowing things down .
Not sure how to identify which process running in task manager maybe a little fishy.
I have already disabled the unnecessary start up items.
Have been using the antvirus for almost 5 months now. Not sure if it's the antivirus which is slowing down the PC
Hmm you could have a real bichin Virus in your system. Or maybe your hardware is malfunctioning I was facing this problem and did all things for nothing only to find that my CPU temp is too high. :D:D
Any way to check what is the ideal temp for my CPU and also measure the temperature?
You are surely in trouble. You defenitely have dangerous and malicious trojon in your computer.

I will recommend you to take a backup of all important files from your computer and then Re-Install windows XP to get rid of it.

This is the best method, I guess.
Looks best method but maybe time consuming. Will give it a try as last resort.

Thanks all for your suggestions. Will try to incorporate the suggestions.

rawgeek

Broken In
Please run following commands and paste the o/p here:
1. fltmc
2. tasklist /svc

Keep the system with only microsoft services running.Go to run->msconfig->services tab->Hide all microsoft services->disable the rest....also go to Startup tab and disable all startup items.

Also can u run process explorer at the time of the issue....take a screen shot and post it here: Process Explorer

Anti-Virus could be a cause of the problem for slowing down the system.We may have to set up your system for a manual Kernal Dump at the time of the hang to get to the cause of the problem.....but.....for now kindly follow the plan above :)

Last edited:
OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Also, download HiJackThis and send back the log.
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 10:54:37 PM, on 6/24/2011
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Blue Coat K9 Web Protection\k9filter.exe
C:\Program Files\BitSecure Antivirus System\BitSecureAPSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\BitSecure Antivirus System\BitSecureScanSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared files\RichVideo.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cfp.exe
C:\Program Files\BitSecure Antivirus System\BsGui.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexStoreSvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe
C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] sttray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [COMODO Internet Security] "C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cfp.exe" -h
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BsGui] "C:\Program Files\BitSecure Antivirus System\BsGui.exe" 0
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LanguageShortcut] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\Language\Language.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BitTorrent] "C:\Program Files\BitTorrent\bittorrent.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [uTorrent] "C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew\Desktop\utorrent.exe"
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{24AE4741-2A66-4BF3-A641-236E67D43527}: NameServer = 218.248.255.147 218.248.255.146
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{24AE4741-2A66-4BF3-A641-236E67D43527}: NameServer = 218.248.255.147 218.248.255.146
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\WINDOWS\system32\guard32.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Blue Coat K9 Web Protection (bckwfs) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Blue Coat K9 Web Protection\k9filter.exe
O23 - Service: BitSecureAPSvc - BitSecure Labs - C:\Program Files\BitSecure Antivirus System\BitSecureAPSvc.exe
O23 - Service: BitSecureScanSvc - BitSecure Labs - C:\Program Files\BitSecure Antivirus System\BitSecureScanSvc.exe
O23 - Service: COMODO Internet Security Helper Service (cmdAgent) - COMODO - C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: NMIndexingService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe
O23 - Service: OracleOraHome92TNSListener - Unknown owner - D:\oracle\ora92\BIN\TNSLSNR.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: OracleServiceCHARLES - Unknown owner - d:\oracle\ora92\bin\ORACLE.EXE (file missing)
O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared files\RichVideo.exe

--
End of file - 5493 bytes

Please post a image of all process in Task manager.

*i52.tinypic.com/nq4h1s.jpg

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
haha!! :lol:
Reason of slowness found!
Virus or not, but that SQL server background service must be taking a hell lot of Memory and CPU!!!!
If you don't use SQL server, disable the service. If you do use it, increase the RAM. ( I am not sure about RAM, since you have not mentioned, how much RAM you have already).

Edit: 42 processes are high. You should use CCleaner/TuneUp utilities/MSconfig, to disable the unnecessary services.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Disable all Ahead Nero services from startup. And k9 web protection you are using separately? And why the msiexec.exe running, was you installing something?

And last but not the least, Firefox may also be the culprit.

Top Bottom