Paschimbanga? Oh what a state we live in

Should the name be changed to Poschimbongo?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
As you all must be knowing (especially the West Bengal residents), the name of the state of West Bengal is being changed to Paschimbanga(pronunciation: Posh-chim-bong-o).

I want all my fellow TDF members to show their solidarity in their opposition to this change.

It took West Bengal MLAs 10 minutes to do what a class VII student familiar with Bengali would do easily in 10 seconds.
I knew we were voting for the wrong party and a stupid CM. Nice "poriborton" isnt it? The decision was passed unanimously in the house, showing that the MLAs are all muppets.

do #Poschimbongo in twitter and see for yourselves hehehe :lol:

Might as well save you the trouble :D

*twitter.com/search?q=#poschimbongo

Please vote and post. Those who are indifferent, you are actually supporting the name change.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
It is plain politics my friend. A change in name doesn't bring change (or poriborton) as didi wants to bring in West Bengal, people need development, access to basic needs, education, jobs; not a change in name.

Krow

Crowman
What's the big deal? Did anyone complain about Orissa becoming Odisha?

But one of the reasons given for the change was that West Bengal begins with a W and hence is low down the alphabetical order. This apparently made it difficult for administrative purposes, which can be smooth now that the name starts with P, way above as compared to W. :lol:

What's the big deal? Did anyone complain about Orissa becoming Odisha?

But one of the reasons given for the change was that West Bengal begins with a W and hence is low down the alphabetical order. This apparently made it difficult for administrative purposes, which can be smooth now that the name starts with P, way above as compared to W. :lol:

The reason you gave made me go Lol :D .

More and more states are renamed according to there local language . Right ?

OP
Extreme Gamer

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Her excuse is that we move up in the list of states.

So wont B (for Bengal/Banga/Bongo etc) be better than the P? After all with P we only move up by a few numbers and come just before Punjab.

Another problem is license plates. PB is already used by Punjab :|

I hope the Central Parliament is less retarded and opposes the change.

I will continue to call the state West Bengal even if my passport states Paschimbanga

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I donot get the hype and hoopla over the issue?!!!

If u r a bong, what do u call "West Bengal" in bengali?

I was raised with books mentioning "poschimbanga" (b'o'ng'o' is exactly what it is pronounced in bengali). For the past 27 yrs whenever I talked with people (in bengali) and had to utter my state's name I've always uttered "Poschimbongo"...

What present Govt. did is just keep the bengali name as in english too with exact phonetic way its used.

What I have issue with this name change, is they were supposed to remove this "Poschim" (or west) from the name which they did not...

OP
Extreme Gamer

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
I am not a bong, which is why it pisses me off. regionalizing makes no sense and incurs crores of expenditure unnecessarily for govt.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, it should have been Bengal or Bangla or something in that line. Why the Poschim/West is sticking in front of Bengal/Banga is still a million dollar question. What in essence they have done, is to force everybody to use the Bengali name, which is fair enough. It's Medinipur, not Midnapore, Kanthi, not Contai and like.

In the end, doesn't matter for us. We have gotten used to Chennai, Mumbai, Bengaluru etc. and will get used to Paschim Banga too. And those names also initially sound funny too after years of using Madras, Bombay, Bangalore etc.

I am not a bong, which is why it pisses me off. regionalizing makes no sense and incurs crores of expenditure unnecessarily for govt.

Have you raised your voice against Mumbai, Chennai and Bengaluru too? And it won't result in huge expenditure also, as Poschim Bongo is already written in Bengali. So no need for sign board changes which are already in Bengali.

Lastly, try to utter Bombay in front of the Senas. At least you won't face similar sort of situation here. ;)

We would also rethink of India/Bharat matter. Have you ever referred your country as India in your mother tongue? I doubt. Why are we still carrying the vestiges of British Raj?

OP
Extreme Gamer

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Thing is, I live in WB. I find it awkward to say Paschimbanga in English. In hindi it becomes a direct pronunciation as Pas-chim-ban-ga :D

I dont say Bengaluru very often. In my head its still Bangalore. Same goes for Chennai and Mumbai too. Occasionally even Kolkata is Calcutta in my head :p

It will still be a huge expense. Most official documents are in English. License plates will mean a large expenditure.
Big expense or not, West Bengal is a cash deficit state. Such expenses should be avoided and the sum should go for development.

Oh and I say India, not Bharat (I am not joking). I dropped Hindi as 2nd language this year and took up art as my G5 subject for Class 11/12.

I speak in Engdi in a Hindi conversation and clean English in an English conversation if that makes sense to you.
My mother tongue is the Marwari dialect of Rajasthani but I only know it a little. About as much as Sanskrit (3rd language in Classes 6-8).

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
End of the day our politicians know jack about what they are doing. Instead of taking care of her ministry Banarjee mam was busy consolidating her position in West Bengal and kicking out companies and making fake promises to the vote banks. See the mess the Railways Ministry has been left in. No new tenders have been procured and aplenty vacancies are empty, specially in the safety department. Is this not corruption of the highest order. They would rather change the name of some state/region/city than focus on what is their job. I cringed when they did it to Mumbai/Chennia/Bangalore...even my home state Uttranchal, but that is the most we can do.

People speaking the native dialect/language can enjoy the new name rolling of their tongues, while the exchequer will bear the brunt of the administrative changes.

OP
Extreme Gamer

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
I wish that people kick her out after the 5 years she rapes the state.
If they protest withing 2 years...even better.

Those who voted yes...traitors :angry: jk.(everyone entitled to his/her opinion)

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Seriously it is useless issue. WB govt should look over various important issue like education, English education, syllabus of std 10 & 10+2 etc.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
I've voted - NO.

Seriously the govenment has gone nuts. Why to change such a good name i.e "west bengal".
Just because it has english linguals?
Pathetic imo.

Last edited:

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
@vickybat: You may have hurt sentiments by calling it cr@p. I am not a bengali or a marathi or tamilian but I can understand why did people change names of Calcutta, Bombay, Madras etc.

Kolkata, Mumbai and Chennai are all native names called by people living there even before the name-change so why not change it.

An offtopic, but I really hate when people in West Bengal call Indian currency "taka".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom