Partition Management Help Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
I managed to free up a 20GB NTFS partition and convert it to ext3 :D :D :D

Now, I didn't format it properly since power got cut in the middle. I need to completely format it and check for errors and bad sectors. I need it to be auto mounted and have no-execution flag enabled. I have two tools, GParted and a text editor. I use Debian Sid KDE (Sidux). Please give me a detailed walkthrough to do this. :confused:

I remember seeing a .volume text file in a FAT32 partition. Should I make one of those to do this ?

I am willing to install any utility to manage partitions via a GUI. Please help.

praka123

left this forum longback
from another distro/livecd and having unmounted your debian sidux partition ,as root terminal(su -) run : "fdisk -fvy /dev/sdx" where sdx is your sidux partition.

from another distro/livecd and having unmounted your debian sidux partition ,as root terminal(su -) run : "fdisk -fvy /dev/sdx" where sdx is your sidux partition.
actually, I need to do this to a partition which is not a part of sidux. Its an empty ext3 partition which I need to reformat using something like full complete format option along with checking for bad sectors and errors. and I need to make it automount on startup, mount with no-execution flag, etc.

Rahim

Married!
I dont no where are you getting stuck? Just make sure that partition is not mounted and do the fsck and then use gparted (in ither distro or gparted live cd) to format to your desire. Simple.
If you use fdisk -l it will show you the different partitions like sda1,sda2,etc.. which will help you to recognize the particular one to run the fsck command.
Use Gparted live cd as distros seems to auto-mount them in live mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom