Partion and Audio problems in Mandriva linux :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I read somewhere( Fastrack maybe) that Mandriva has a feature that even if it has some files missing, the installation goes to completion.
Now i tried to install ubuntu from digit yesterday. It recognised my sound as ALC880 and coppied the required driver to the hard drive. Now during the first bootup, when the driver had to be loaded, it just froze, giving a msg like: Looking for hot pluggin (or something like that). this happened during the sound card driver loading. In ubuntu it shows everything.
I had a hard time installing the sound card driver even when i installed Windows xp for the first time. But it has happened only with the old version of driver. The latest ones load like makkhan.
Thus any of this has anything to do with my current problem. Do you think i should refer other forums too like linuxquestions.org?

praka123

left this forum longback
this is strange we all 915G* users are happy with audio setup by ALSA.ur's it is strange..b/w get ur copy of this month's digit and read the Linux fastrack book fully :)

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Already bought this month's digit :D .I have a 915GLVG board. This doesn't even have a PCIexpress(x16) slot :evil: . And there are three jacks in total for speakers as well as mic and input. It has to be configured for 5.1 with realtek drivers. Do you think all 915 mobos have the same exact soundcards? In fastrack it's written that sound cards are always a major issue for operating systems. Now i know why. Do you suggest any other distro. I tried ubunto from this months digit but it doesn't even boot.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Did you burn the Ubuntu iso onto a cd? And did you burn it directly as a iso or used 'burn image'?
Did you try any live cd given by digit. See if it detects sound card.

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I used "burn image". If that's wrong tell me how to do it the correct way from mandriva as i removed windows.
I tried knoppix live cd. It played audio fine, however in the 2 channel mode. But atleast i could hear something. I checked at the mandriva website but the soundcard doesn't show up in the supported sound card's list. I think that database is still under construction.

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I just configured Knoppix to run in 6 channel mode. Even the original realtek driver never sounded that good. It was awsome. And guess what, the driver version of this ALSA driver was different from that of the one got with mandriva. Mandriva version is v 1.0.9b while this is v 1.0.9a. Do you think i can get this driver from somewhere?

mehulved

You can try this link but I am not sure if alsa 1.0.10 will work or no for Mandriva 2006.0. Give it a try. Or else have a go here . You may have the alsa file given in the 2nd link.

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I downloaded the alsa 1.0.10 driver. Its in the compressed form(.tar.bz2 format). When i clicked on it, it extracted all the files to the temp folder. There are so many files. What am i supposed to do with it now. The 'read me' says that i should extract everything to the Folder containing the previous version of this driver. But i cant find it. The search doesn't show up anything. Tell me what i have to do now.

praka123

left this forum longback
@bacclius:pls dont confuse us with ur distro installations!try Ubuntu Breezy...this is the best distro for laptops and especially for ur mobo.Ubuntu dont have rpms,but a superior package management called dpkg and apt-get
get urself ubuntu breezy iso from digit dvd burnt into cd .boot it and install...btw what is your hdd is it a sata one...after installation u can have Alsa configured automatically ur audio..and yes most 915GV/GL boards got the same onboard card...it is detected on the fly for my uncle's lappy.leave mandriva/Fedora for now;
baccilus said:
I downloaded the alsa 1.0.10 driver. Its in the compressed form(.tar.bz2 format).
the package u downloaded was a source package.now i'll say dont mess everything by trying compiling things...
now after u installed ubuntu breezy use an editor and edit /etc/apt/sources.list to add universal,multiverse repos also.follow the ubuntu insatllation guide below carefully dont panic and get anger on anything not working correctly:
*www.ccs.neu.edu/home/jabra/breezy-docs.html
later read the one below:
*easylinux.info/wiki/Ubuntu

mehulved

baccilus said:
I downloaded the alsa 1.0.10 driver. Its in the compressed form(.tar.bz2 format). When i clicked on it, it extracted all the files to the temp folder. There are so many files. What am i supposed to do with it now. The 'read me' says that i should extract everything to the Folder containing the previous version of this driver. But i cant find it. The search doesn't show up anything. Tell me what i have to do now.
You better download rpm rather than tar.gz. You can get the rpm from the link I gave out in the previous post. rpm will be eaier to work with.

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Hi tech. I already tried installing ubuntu(from this month's Digit :) ) a couple of times. It installs like a breeze, but during the first reboot, during the installation of audio drivers, it gets stuck. It starts looking for some hot pluggins or something.Nothing happens and i have to poweroff my machine. I burned the image onto a rewritable disk using nero. I chose the option- burn image to disk. Was that write na?

mehulved

OK forget Ubuntu, do download the alsa 1.0.10 rpm for mandriva instead of tar.gz and see if that helps.

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Can you please give me a link for this driver. It should be a link for the driver and not the utility or conf rpm. i googled it but still cant find it. Infact i cant find any driver in the rpm format for mandriva2006. Help man. I need to solve this problem and live in peace.

mehulved

well looks like some changes are going on so that link is unavailable. Have a look at Easy URPMI site and configure URPMI to get latest rpm's. If that doesn't work I will try to find some mirror tomorrow.

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I have a 400MB dataone connection. That link starts downloading loads of stuff. I will wait till tomorrow yaar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom