Partion and Audio problems in Mandriva linux :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I am going to install Mandriva linux 2006. I am installing linux for the first time. Tried knoppix 4.0 and liked it. My D drive is totally empty. I am going to install in this partition. I dont want to disturb other partitions.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Well mandriva has diskdrake, which is an easy to use GUI disk partitioning tool. You just need to know which partition is C:/ and which is D:/. You just have to click on D:/ and format it to any linux fs you like eg. ext3, reiserfs, xfs, jfs.
Well you can do one thing. Go to disc management in windows and delete the D:/, don't partition it with disk management. Then mandriva will detect it as empty partiton and you can select.
BTW, how much space is there on the D:/. 5GB will be enough if you gonna use linux as secondary OS.
And if your C:/ is NTFS make a small partitition of 2-3 GB as FAT32, which can be read and written by both OS'es.

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Hi tech. It has 13GB space. I use my computer to make assignments and projects. will it be possible to do so in mandriva and get print out from the market where the computers have windows installed. I will use it as a secondory operating system only since i like to play games too.

mehulved

Sure you can use OpenOffice.org(Oo.org) that will be installed by default for making projects. I myself use Oo.org Writer instead of MS Word and save in .doc format.
FOr Powerpoint presentations you can use Oo.org Impress and save the presentation in .ppt format.
They will open with MS Word and MS PPT but it just might need some small editing cause there are some features that aren't exactly the same but don't worry they will take about 5-10 mins depending on the size of your project.
I too get my printouts done in cyber cafe and documents open without a problem.

As reguarding the partitons, you can divide it into two partitions using diskdrake. One will be a linux native partition explained above. You can use any though the default is ext3. And make one FAT32 partition, yes diskdruid can do that.
You can divide into a 8GB linux partition and a 5GB FAT32 partition. No hard and fast rules here. It's totally upto your wish on the amount of space for each partitions.

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
thanks buddy. I installed linux and even configured internet access. I have no idea why i have not installed linux uptill now. But i instaled it before you coul reply. So now i have 2 partitions and both in ext3 format. So will my *.doc files be recognised in windows i i save them in the already existing FAT32 partitions on my hard disk? One more thing, I have a 64 bit processor. Is Mandriva a 64 bit or a 32 bit OS?
Thanks for all your help tech. You have been a great help.

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Thanks buddy

Hey i dont hear any thing. And it even recognizes my onboard sound card correctly. So why cant i hear anything. Help Tech!

mehulved

Oops I forgot one thing. Did you make a swap partition?
The documents will be recognised and opened without a hitch in windows.
I guess the distro is 32 bit am not sure if mandriva is available in 64 bit.
Open the terminal and type alsamxer and see if Master and PCM are not muted. If anyone is muted you won't hear any sound.
OK in KDE panel, right click on system tray on the right, then select add -> applets -> sound mixer, and check if Master and PCM are unmuted.

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Yes i did make a swap partition. Its 1020 MB. And i made two ext3 partitions of 8GB and 3GB. I tried the alsamixer command but it said:
alsamixer: function snd_mixer_load failed: Invalid argument

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
That didn't help either yaar. It has recognised the sound card correctly. So that means the driver has been installed. In amarok it shows the volume at 80%. So that doesn't seem to be the problem either. I have altec lansing 251 5.1 speakers. And they are fine too, i know. What could be the problem?

mehulved

Did you see that none of the mixers were muted besides master and PCM as you have 5.1 speakers. The volume level shown in amarok isn't the only indicator, you wil have to check the others that apply in your case. I don't know which all.

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I already did that buddy. Nothings happening. And it never asks me if i want a 6 channel or 2 channel sound. it just has one output. The realtek one shows three. one each for centre/sub, front and rear ones.

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Help me someone! I installed linux because i hate the fact that i use pirated windows. Now what will i do on it if i can't play games and watch movies and listen to music? this is an irritating problem. knoppix could play the sound buut ony 1 channel would work. Mandriva cant play anything.Where could i be going wrong?

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I have intel 915 mobo. I am using the onboard realtek ( not sure of the model no.)sound card. I have the intel 2.66 64 bit processor. also 512MB RAM. I have left out 13GB ffor linux and have 1GB for swap.

praka123

left this forum longback
I am also running a 915GAV mobo with onboard realtek HDA auido.ALSA supports it fully.if u have installed alsa-utils rpm.u can try reconfiguring ALSA by issuing
Code:
alsaconf
as root.after that unmute the volume controls.you should try adjusting Audio controls and selecting 6/7 channel o/p using
Code:
alsamixer
in a terminal as root.after setting all volume controls and channel selection save the settings as root:
Code:
sarge:~# alsactl -d store 0
try and post the results.
if u want to play windows OS games u can try cedega demo or WINE software.
Also U should have all plugins installed to play .mp3's .wma's etc...

Never hooked with Mandrake,a KDE distro,You can try Debian Etch or Ubuntu Breezy/Dapper also;good support for i915GV/GM cards...

mehulved

To play songs and watch videos you will need to install win32codecs. To learn more about it have a look here

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Hi Prakash. Do i have to type thse commands in the console ? I did that but it says
bash: alsaconf: command not found. And what is alsa util rpm? I have mandriva in cd's and i installed directlly from there. I guess these already had all the drivers as i didn't install any software separately. Should i try reinstalling it?
None of the commands you gave are working in the console.

praka123

left this forum longback
Mandriva's got a lot of rpms to get ..
*rpms.mandrivaclub.com
*rpms.mandrivaclub.com/rpms/Sound.html
And here is ur alsa-utils rpm.this is useful for saving your audio settings and a detection script also comes with it -alsaconf.
*rpms.mandrivaclub.com/rpms/mandriva/devel//cooker/i586/media/main/alsa-utils-1.0.10-2mdk.i586.html
try it and post.
ps:try as root user all commands posted in previous post in a konsole or terminal.

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
What is RPMs. I am a newbee. I hate to admit, but i feel like a 5th standard kid trying to understand Quantum mechanics. I have no idea where i am going wrong. I think i will learn linux in my holidays this time. I am loosing hope on my current problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom