Pantech Burst P9070 - Quick Review

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Been using Pantech Burst for past few days, after i sold my dead-old Galaxy SL. The mobile which i got from seller has some issues with display so got it replaced and new one comes with ICS whereas first one comes with GB. So i get to get hands on on these two versions.

First of all, since using SL for good ~2 yrs, the first thing strikes to me when i bought this mobile was, where were you Pantech, all these days? I mean, who in their right mind give you such awesome config for such a sweet price. (Please don't compare MMX,Karbonn).
Ok, let's jump into my mini-review straight away.

Packaging
Well it is too simple. Charger cable, with socket extension. So no seperate data cable and charger. No headset(I have too many IEM's so no issues) but still they could have at least provide a headset. Also, providing a screen guard would have been really good at this point because apart from ebay.in, i don't see any other place selling screen guard.(Been using it w/o screen guard, so using it real carefully). I am a little bit disappointed by the package but i can live with that.

Build Quality
Still plastic feel like in Samsung, but much better compared to My SL. I used to use iAccy cover for my SL for two reason. One is for safety and another is to cover it's ugly back from my sight. It feels good in hand. Weight is equal as my GSL. L9 weighs a lot lesser compared to this, but you cannot complain, especially at this price point.
The three touch buttons at the bottom of screen is not so responsive. If you use thumb finger, it will be, otherwise you have to press it like a real button. But i am okay with that cause i use my thumb finger all the time. :D
Headset port and power button on top, volume at left and mini-USB port at righ hand side. The power button is to tiny it is hard sometimes to lock screen by pressing this button without looking at it.
So overall i am happy with the Build quality and one cannot expect more from this.

*i.imgur.com/VFeC0XZl.jpg

*i.imgur.com/9gBFQbal.jpg

*i.imgur.com/6SNnxJ6l.jpg

*i.imgur.com/zShWl3Xl.jpg

Performance
Well, frankly, it swept my feet of the ground :D. Installed Temple Run 2, Lets Golf 2 and played it w/o any hiccup. Whatever app i thow it, it runs smoothly. With GB & ICS, i didn't face any lag so far. Also, booting time is much faster at less than a minute. Watching 1080p video also not an issue. I am not so fond of running benchmarks, but i have seen somewhere this mobile equals the score of galaxy note in antutu benchmark.
Even after installing too many apps, i can see around 200-300MB free RAM. :shock:
Overall, Dual Core and 1GB makes you UIX very smooth, w/o installing Project Butter for ICS. :D

*i.imgur.com/g0j5hOgl.jpg

Audio/Video
Well audio quality is good if not excellent. I have PMPs for this , but still i will listen songs in this phone. With my Sony IEM, it just delivers decent sound qulity.Default Music Player does really good job.
There is none to complain in Video department. Plays whatever format you throws at. Tried 720p, 1080p and it just ran fine(MX Player).

Calls/Connectivity
After all this is a phone and for it's designation, it is doing good job. Picking signals good compard to my GSL. My GSL usually shows 3 bars while i am at home, where as this one picks easy 5 bars all the time.
Call quality is excellent. Been at receiver end and checked the quality. It is more than good. The voice is clear and no echo or whatever(I heard people complain about this in TE).
Connectivity options are BT, Wifi and it supports 4G :shock:. I had a heart attack first time i saw the config of this phone. In india, where 3G is still an oasis for all of us, the offer of 4G @ 8.5k is real steal.
No need to tell anything about BT, WiFi. They does the job as they claim. Been using 2G so can't comment anything about 3G(neither 4G :D).

Browsing
Person who browse in 4" LCD screen for last 2 yrs, will really get excited to browse in 4" LED, with better speed(not internet speed) and no hiccups in Chrome, or default browser. Major issue with my GSL was, whenever i open browser, it starts lagging and if i check Task Manager, it eats up good amount of RAM,even if open only one tab. No such probs with Burst.

Camera
Well, it is phone camera and it does what other phone's camera does. Yep, 5MP snapper is not what you expect the one from Lumia series. At daylight it is giving decent pictures with good color. It is not so vivid and i like it. But at poor light conditions, it is giving some really noisy, crappy images. After all, it is not camera, so keeping it in mind, it does real decent job.
Video Recording at 720p is OK. it captures audio with decent quality and stores the file in MP4 format. Not a big difference in this department from my GSL.

Memory
A whooping 16GB internal memory at this phone is real catchy. USB transfer speeds are pathetic. Need to wait for long to copy a small 720p video. :(
Still 16GB is enough legroom to store 6+hrs of 720p video playback or 6000+ 5MP photos.
Only phone provides 1GB RAM under 9k. :D The UIX is snappy, playing game noe becomes fun.(It is always fun, if it is with no hiccup or lag). Almost 200-300MB free at any time. No Task Killer apps needed as of now for me and never used one.

Battery
Well, here comes the big important thing. 1650mAh powers this phone. In normal usage(Few calls, txting, 30mins-1hr gaming, 1hr browsing, WiFi on 2 hrs) i am getting 1.5 days of backup and moderate will give me just a bit short of one day.

Conclusion
It is time to tell Pros and Cons, but i leave it to users. For me, my mind is not picking any Cons apart from somewhat hard-to-press buttons. Everything else is Pros for me and i don't have anything else to compain. It is a WTF must buy phone @ 8.5k but at the loss of warranty, but who cares. :D

Benchmark Results:
Nenamark 2: 54.5fps
Vellamo HTML 5: 1504
Vellamo Metal : 374

*i.imgur.com/XsJukShl.png
Quadrant Standard

*i.imgur.com/SgQRCLZl.png

AnTuTu Benchmark :

*i.imgur.com/hGlHBbZl.png

Camera Snaps : Will post more...
*i.imgur.com/JeKl3fbl.jpg

Games Tested :
Air Attack HD
Temple Run 2
GTA III

Difference b/w images taken by Stock Camera App and Camera ICS at same settings
Taken using Camera ICS :
*i.imgur.com/CDioVdP.jpg

Taken using Stock Camera App:
*i.imgur.com/sJhj2to.jpg
UPDATE :
Post images taken by default camera app and Camera ICS with same settings.

Added Quadrant and Vellamo Benchmark scores.

Last edited:
OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ Thanks. :)
Benchmarks are not going to give you any insight and for me, real world experience > benchmarks. But still would love to try AnTutu sometime.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
@furious_gamer, can you tell me from where did you source the phone form??? If its ok for you to tell. BTW Nice review :)

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
@furious_gamer, can you tell me from where did you source the phone form??? If its ok for you to tell. BTW Nice review :)

From HERE

The price they listed is 8.9k, but since i am from same city, i went there personally and reduce the ebay charges+shipping. :)

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
From HERE

The price they listed is 8.9k, but since i am from same city, i went there personally and reduce the ebay charges+shipping. :)

Thanks man, couple of questions, if you can address them ..

1. How do you install ICS, as it comes with GB
2. GPS, very IMP for me. How is the GPS, How much time does it take to lock it, if inside the house. MAPs loading speed etc.
3. Any hangs or restarts till now.
4. Over all smoothness of the phone if loaded with like 15-20 apps running at the background.
5. Touch response.

Looking for an honest opinion ..

PS :: The cost difference from ebay.in and Global Easy Buy is around 500. GEB is 500 less. What do people suggest.

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Thanks man, couple of questions, if you can address them ..

1. How do you install ICS, as it comes with GB
2. GPS, very IMP for me. How is the GPS, How much time does it take to lock it, if inside the house. MAPs loading speed etc.
3. Any hangs or restarts till now.
4. Over all smoothness of the phone if loaded with like 15-20 apps running at the background.
5. Touch response.

Looking for an honest opinion ..

PS :: The cost difference from ebay.in and Global Easy Buy is around 500. GEB is 500 less. What do people suggest.
1. Answered by pratyush997 but still, it comes with ICS pre-installed.
2. Lock time is around 10secs and Map loading is based on Internet Speed IINW. It loads quite faster.
3. Nope
4. After loading 8 apps in the background it is still smooth, with 100~200 MB RAM free.
5. Good. No issues so far. :D

I don't know about GEB, so can't comment on it.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
furious_gamer thank you for the feedback, so does it seems like a worth product .. ??? I think I might order it.

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Yes it is worth every penny you spent. The display is better than Galaxy S Advance. Viewing angle is good. And overall i can play taxing games w/o hiccup. What else do i need? :D

Hrishi

Its an awesome phone , indeed. Nice review.
I feel like giving up my Atrix 4g and buying this.:)

I have heard of some battery issues with this phone from my friends. Is it due to the stock Kernel/ROM or it really is a battery-hogging device. ?

diagus

Journeyman
furious_gamer
so hardware button issue fully solved
are there lot of at&t bloatwares in it
how do you compare pantech speed compared to l9 optimus l9 you reviewed

Last edited:
OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Its an awesome phone , indeed. Nice review.
I feel like giving up my Atrix 4g and buying this.:)

I have heard of some battery issues with this phone from my friends. Is it due to the stock Kernel/ROM or it really is a battery-hogging device. ?

It is indeed an excellent device. Battery drain is not common issue i guess. It was there but after few charging cycles now it is giving me good 1 day backup in moderate usage.

Nice review. One suggestion, don't hide the photos in spoiler.

Some prefer to see photos, some don't. And this is right way to present photo's IMO.

furious_gamer
so hardware button issue fully solved
are there lot of at&t bloatwares in it
how do you compare pantech speed compared to l9 optimus l9 you reviewed

Hardware button is now very responsive. I peeled of some el-cheapo screenguard and applied new.
Lot of bloatwares and it makes no sense for me.
As good as L9 and apart from that big screen and 8MP camera i didn't feel any difference in the performance.

Benchamark Results added...

GTA III runs w/o any hiccup. Going to try Vice City. :D

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Friends, I was about to order Pantech Burst when I came across the below phone and post ...

UMI X2 brings 1080p screen, quad-core CPU for unbelievable Rs 14,000

The phone packs some serious punch with specs, even to compete S4 for that matter ..

1.2 Ghz quad-core MediaTek MT6589 processor
PowerVR SGX544 GPU
2GB RAM
32GB internal memory, with microSD card slot for further expansion up to 32GB
5-inch IPS LCD with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels and 441 pixels per inch
Dual-SIM, HSPA on WCDMA, GPRS/EDGE on GSM
Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g with Wi-Fi hotspot
Bluetooth 4.0 with A2DP
GPS with A-GPS
Accelerometer, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor, magnetic sensor
13 megapixel primary camera with LED flash and 3 megapixel front facing cam

*i53.tinypic.com/24602e0.jpg

*i56.tinypic.com/o5oqxg.jpg

Price 14000/- free shipping to INDIA

What do we say here ... :D :D

Tenida

Gadget Freak
^^ I made a thread here for this phone :)
Yes the specs is just wow. But what about the service center?
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/technolog...-soc-2gb-ram-android-phone-available-14k.html

Top Bottom