Over-Heating, the enjoyment killer!!!

ShankJ

Been There, Done That!!
I own a hp pavilion dv4-5009tx laptop.. I have been facing overheating issues from the last one year now.. Everytime the service center people replace the fan and sink and it works fine for 1 month and then starts facing "thermal shutdowns" when i play any heavy game like Far Cry 3, BO2 etc.. i have already got my laptop sync replaced 5 times and dusted 3 times in the last one year..:banghead::banghead:

Its very frustrating because i'm unable to see a way out of it.. I have the latest graphic drivers installed, power supply connected and vents having no obstruction in front of them..

Show me a way out of it..:nosy:

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
That means issue is in your usage, or should I say location of usage. Opening the laptop 8times a year just for dust is saying in itself.I too own a dv6 With Core i7 and an overclocked GPU, have never faced thermal shutdown till date.
1.Clean your laptop properly, if possible yourself, because nobody will take the same care as you.
2.Buy yourselves a supply of good TIM like Ceramic MX2, Xtreme Fusion X1 etc.Apply it as indicated. I've seen HP engineers applying a huge amount of TIM many a time.
3.UPDATE your bios; if you have the latest one, download it once again and install it.
Always keep the laptop elevated, if you dont use a cooling pad.Never use it on dusty surfaces.
I'm pretty sure that if your software is right (virus free),you should have no reason for a heating laptop.

BTW, lookwise , your dv4 is a beautiful model....:)

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
I own a hp pavilion dv4-5009tx laptop.. I have been facing overheating issues from the last one year now.. Everytime the service center people replace the fan and sink and it works fine for 1 month and then starts facing "thermal shutdowns" when i play any heavy game like Far Cry 3, BO2 etc.. i have already got my laptop sync replaced 5 times and dusted 3 times in the last one year..:banghead::banghead:

Its very frustrating because i'm unable to see a way out of it.. I have the latest graphic drivers installed, power supply connected and vents having no obstruction in front of them..

Show me a way out of it..:nosy:

Okayeee
I have the same problem.I haven't fixed my laptop yet but i plan to do these things
1)Open up ur lappy and re-apply thermal paste on the CPU and GPU
2)Clean the fan
3)Run a full AV scan of your lappy.there might be some resource-hogging virus there

OP
ShankJ

ShankJ

Been There, Done That!!
That means issue is in your usage, or should I say location of usage. Opening the laptop 8times a year just for dust is saying in itself.I too own a dv6 With Core i7 and an overclocked GPU, have never faced thermal shutdown till date.
1.Clean your laptop properly, if possible yourself, because nobody will take the same care as you.
2.Buy yourselves a supply of good TIM like Ceramic MX2, Xtreme Fusion X1 etc.Apply it as indicated. I've seen HP engineers applying a huge amount of TIM many a time.
3.UPDATE your bios; if you have the latest one, download it once again and install it.
Always keep the laptop elevated, if you dont use a cooling pad.Never use it on dusty surfaces.
I'm pretty sure that if your software is right (virus free),you should have no reason for a heating laptop.

BTW, lookwise , your dv4 is a beautiful model....:)

I have the updated version of the BIOS from the HP site..
Opening the laptop every month to re-apply the paste doesnt seem like a very good idea to me..
Thanks for the compliment.. The build is pretty good..:)

Okayeee
I have the same problem.I haven't fixed my laptop yet but i plan to do these things
1)Open up ur lappy and re-apply thermal paste on the CPU and GPU
2)Clean the fan
3)Run a full AV scan of your lappy.there might be some resource-hogging virus there

Done the scanning and also the background process check.. Everything is fine..

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
I have the updated version of the BIOS from the HP site..
Opening the laptop every month to re-apply the paste doesnt seem like a very good idea to me..

But its the only way out....trust me buddy.And nobody is asking you to do that every month.HP uses crappy paste which gets rock hard every month or so.Apply a good one,nicely,properly and I'm sure it will solve your issue.
I've seen enough overheating laptops and these measures have resolved each & every problem. If these doesn't work then the next guess will be a faulty chipset. ..But I'm sure cleaning the interiors thoroughly & reapplying the required amount of TIM will solve your issue.

This is what I did you restore enjoyment :D
Hats Off!!!

Last edited:
OP
ShankJ

ShankJ

Been There, Done That!!
This is what I did to restore enjoyment :D

Is that a hp laptop, seems like Asus to me..

But its the only way out....trust me buddy.And nobody is asking you to do that every month.HP uses crappy paste which gets rock hard every month or so.Apply a good one,nicely,properly and I'm sure it will solve your issue.
I've seen enough overheating laptops and these measures have resolved each & every problem. If these doesn't work then the next guess will be a faulty chipset. ..But I'm sure cleaning the interiors thoroughly & reapplying the required amount of TIM will solve your issue.

Hats Off!!!

the laptops still in warranty, so i dont want to take any unnecessary risks..:(

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Go to Control Panel > Power Options > Create a Power plan. Name it whatever you like. Save it

Then for the same plan change plan settings > Change advanced power settings > Processor Power management > Maximum Processor State > Change both to 90 or even 80 .

Save and exit. Play games without overheating

OP
ShankJ

ShankJ

Been There, Done That!!
Go to Control Panel > Power Options > Create a Power plan. Name it whatever you like. Save it

Then for the same plan change plan settings > Change advanced power settings > Processor Power management > Maximum Processor State > Change both to 90 or even 80 .

Save and exit. Play games without overheating

how would that help??

TheSloth

The Slowest One
@pratyush997: that is too much bro...wow, to play games, kya kya nahin karna padta. But awesome idea.

OP
ShankJ

ShankJ

Been There, Done That!!
okay.. Mine goes through a shut down after it reaches >90C to prevent its circuit...

This is the message i get when i restart my computer after the thermal shutdown...

20130316_224605.jpg20130316_232250.jpg

Top Bottom