OS X Leopard delayed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobimama

 Macboy
I can feel my heart-rate going faster. I'm nearing the end of the article and there's no sign that this is some kind of late april fool joke.... Its not.

Its official on the www.apple.com/hotnews

iPhone has already passed several of its required certification tests and is on schedule to ship in late June as planned. We can’t wait until customers get their hands (and fingers) on it and experience what a revolutionary and magical product it is. However, iPhone contains the most sophisticated software ever shipped on a mobile device, and finishing it on time has not come without a price — we had to borrow some key software engineering and QA resources from our Mac OS X team, and as a result we will not be able to release Leopard at our Worldwide Developers Conference in early June as planned. While Leopard's features will be complete by then, we cannot deliver the quality release that we and our customers expect from us. We now plan to show our developers a near final version of Leopard at the conference, give them a beta copy to take home so they can do their final testing, and ship Leopard in October. We think it will be well worth the wait. Life often presents tradeoffs, and in this case we're sure we've made the right ones.

I will now cry myself to sleep (if I get any). And when gx is back, I will welcome the kick on B**ls...

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
I can understand Apple's problems. I'd prefer a delayed release rather than a buggy one.

Apple needs Vista support to survive...
ROFL!!!

Why does Apple needs Vista? I will buy Leopard regardless of which other OSes it supports. So will many other Mac users.

Vista support is only for the ones who want to use Mac but still want to use some Windows program.

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
It seems quite logical to me. Delaying a new version of existing product (Leopard) is better than delaying a brand new product(iphone). Whenever it comes, people are going to buy Leopard whether it's June or it's October. For iphone, the more it's delayed the lower it's heat will be in the market.

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
I read somewhere that Leopard is Apple's version of Vista (hence Apple calls it "Vista 2.0") with the delays. But Micro$oft released Vista because they had to. They compromised a lot of features to release when they did. Still Vista is pretty buggy. OSX, Tiger, on the other hand does not have the security problems that plague Windows XP. This is the first delay of Leopard. While it may be somewhat disappointing to wait until October, it's better than a really buggy upgrade.

As for the iPhone delaying Leopard, the iPhone better be freaking awesome, because Mac OSX (Leopard) is the heart and soul of Apple. Tiger is still technologically superior to Vista, but users will wait only so long for Leopard. It would be really bad for Apple to let Microsoft eat up Apple's technology lead in computer operating systems. If Apple puts too many eggs in the iPhone basket, they might get burned.

Does it stink that Leopard’s release has been pushed back a few months? Yup, especially to us geeks who want the latest-and-greatest -- and want it right now. But Tiger is still the best OS out there (sorry, Vista) and will work as well in July, August, and September as it does today.

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
Wow! Windows fanatics crying waste..
They sure are.

Actually, even Analysts are not concerned by Leopard delay.

If Apple would delay the iPhone, it will get criticisms from everywhere. But if Leopard is delayed, it will receive less criticisma, as Windows fanboys will have less to say, and because many don't care about Leopard.

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
But I am concerned about the iphone. Will it be a hit like the ipod. I think Apple should release iphone like ipod Video at the same time.

OP
goobimama

goobimama

 Macboy
Hey GX, weren't you supposed to observe two weeks of "shameful misery"? I thought you created that ID just for the one time post in that thread(forgot what it was about). This is not fair. At least Aarya keeps to his word (asked me to post when he needed something from here).

I hope fatbeing is watching...

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
But I am concerned about the iphone. Will it be a hit like the ipod. I think Apple should release iphone like ipod Video at the same time.

Please check out these threads:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54682
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53580

These should give you the idea that *images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/blackapple.gifiPhone won't be a unsuccessful product.

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
Thread 1: ipod came into market when there wasn't any good product in mp3 player segment. But the phone market is flooded with lots and lots of phones.

Thread 2: I don't think every one who sent inquiry request to AT&T will buy an iphone. (like me) :)

I'm not saying that iphone will fail. I feel tense about this product. I wish strongly that is should succeed. They should have given a user replaceable battery, unlocked phone, lower price...

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
Thread 1: ipod came into market when there wasn't any good product in mp3 player segment. But the phone market is flooded with lots and lots of phones.
the iPhone's a smart-phone, and there's no good product in that market. At least, there's no smart-phone that good enough for a normal person to use.

Thread 2: I don't think every one who sent inquiry request to AT&T will buy an iphone. (like me)
You live in US? You requested AT&T about details on iPhone?

I'm not saying that iphone will fail. I feel tense about this product. I wish strongly that is should succeed. They should have given a user replaceable battery, unlocked phone, lower price...
I don't know about the user-replaceable batteries but my guess is the phone released in Asia will be a unlocked iPhone, and the cost of iPhone will reduce as competition will get stronger.

R

rake

the iPhone's a smart-phone, and there's no good product in that market

Questionable. iPhone is a multimedia oriented phone like SE W880i but not a smart phone like Palm or Windows Mobile or Nokia N95 phone, due to lack of application installation & No Exchange server\Lotus notes compatibility which is required by a phone to be called a smartphone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pathik

Google Bot
nepcker said:
the iPhone's a smart-phone, and there's no good product in that market. At least, there's no smart-phone that good enough for a normal person to use.
if the iPhone is a smart fone than there are a lot smarter fones already available... can u name even any one feature in it wich doesnt already exist???? leaving the UI ??btw as rake said the iPhone is more a multimedia fone than a smartfone...

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
iPhone is a multimedia oriented phone like SE W880i but not a smart phone like Palm or Windows Mobile or Nokia N95 phone, due to lack of application installation & No Exchange server\Lotus notes compatibility which is required by a phone to be called a smartphone.
iPhones's a smartphone -- not just a multimedia phone. It has a multi-touch screen, phone abilities, a 2.o megapixel camera, all the features of 5.5G iPod, PDA, and is also a internet communicator.

Safari is the first fully usable HTML browser on a mobile phone. The iPhone has the ability to synchronize with Apple's iCal (for calendar and notifications), Address Book (for phone numbers), and iTunes.

can u name even any one feature in it wich doesnt already exist????
There are a lot of them -- Apple has filed over 200 patents for the iPhone, this means that at least 200 features will be exclusive to this phone.

The web browser displays full web pages as opposed to simplified pages as on other smart phones.

It is also a true multi-tasking phone -- you can e-mail a photo to your friend right in the middle of a call.

It's also got Visual Voicemail -- just like e-mail, on iPhone, you can go directly go to the voicemail that interests you.

It's also got proximity sensor, ambient light sensor, accelerometer, etc, etc.

R

rake

Like goobimama said, don't make it another one of those threads. Leopard is delayed, that was the news. Period.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
goobimama said:
Common guys, let this not be another one of "those" threads...Leopard is delayed, that's it.
And that is absolutely shameful on Apple's part. They screwed up. I am not ready to believe in absolute bullshit that Apple does not have enough resources to concentrate on two projects at once. It is so frustrating.
After all the fun they made of Microsoft over the delays of Windows Vista, it is amazing that they even had the guts to post this on their website. I suppose Microsoft engineers must be having a hard time controlling their laughter now.

They messed up and that's it. End of story.

Windows users are already using Windows Vista and we have to wait till October to use Leopard. At least we'll get all the details at the WWDC. That's a relief.

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
aryayush said:
And that is absolutely shameful on Apple's part. They screwed up. I am not ready to believe in absolute bullshit that Apple does not have enough resources to concentrate on two projects at once. It is so frustrating.
After all the fun they made of Microsoft over the delays of Windows Vista, it is amazing that they even had the guts to post this on their website. I suppose Microsoft engineers must be having a hard time controlling their laughter now.

They messed up and that's it. End of story.

Windows users are already using Windows Vista and we have to wait till October to use Leopard. At least we'll get all the details at the WWDC. That's a relief.

wooo wooo wooo. Is that you Arya?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom