[Ordered] Card for my i5-4570 PC, Games: RL, GTA V, Racing games, Bioshock Remaster, Budget: ~15k

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I upgraded from a Pen 4 PC after 7 years. Now am using a Core i5 4570 PC since 3 years. And been gaming on integrated graphics ever since. I was not much of a gamer, but since Jan 2016 Rocket League have consumed my life. It have made me a gamer again. And with the advent of other games like Remastered version of Bioshock, my PC is hungry for a dGPU.

I don't get more than 40 fps on Rocket league on lowest settings and I think it is affecting my game play. I am also not able to play racing games like The Crew. So I think I should really give my PC what it deserves.

Following is my PC Specs:

ProcessorIntel 3.2 GHz LGA 1150 4570 i5 4th Gen
MotherboardMSI H87M-G43
HDD1 TB WD Blue
RAMG.Skill DDR3 4 GB X 2 and G.Skill DDR3 8 GB X 1
CabinetCooler Master E350N
PSUCorsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK 430 Watts PSU
MonitorHP Pavillion 22XW Monitor (1080p)
Optical DriveSamsung DVD Combo
Keyboard & MouseTVS-E Gold Bharat & Logitech G90
HeadphonePhilips SHP2000
UPSMicrotek
ControllerXBox 360 Wired Controller
[/TR]

Games I want to play with the gfx and in near future:
1. Rocket League
2. Bioshock Remastered
3. Need for Speed games
4. Trackmania Canyon/Valley
5. GTA V (in future)
6. Mafia III
7. Mirror's Edge 2
8. Deus Ex: Human
9. Quantum Break
10. Project Cars

Games I totally not play:
FPS games like CS, DOTA, TF etc...

My requirement:
1080p gaming on atleast 60 fps

Budget:
Around Rs 15K, and as low as possible. I have been a gamer on PC without a GPU since a decade now. And I never felt the need of a GFX since I don't play a graphics intensive game.

Questions:
Before I decide or buy a GPU tho, I really need answers to following questions (some noob some genuine). I hope friends here can try to answer as many as of them.

1. Is it a right time to buy a GFX? Is something better going to be released in next one month?
2. Which GFX is best for the list of games I require to play?
3. How much VRAM would be sufficient for the game list above. (With and without GTA V, since that game alone I think is very demanding.
4. Does a GFX help in encoding videos too? And Video conversions when I am not gaming?
5. Does a processor's integrated graphics part is freed to do work of CPU when the graphics load is offloaded to a dGPU?
6. Can I buy a GFX from US, if I can arrange for someone to bring it for me (since I also have some Amazon credits). Is warranty an issue?
7. Will my PSU be able to handle the load of a GPU considering the PSU is currently supplying power to: Mobo, 3 sticks of DDR3 RAM, 1 TB HDD, DVD ROM drive, a USB3.0 eHDD, Mic, 2.0 speakers and a couple of USB devices.

Until my research until now, I have come up with this GFX: Amazon.in: Buy MSI GAMING RX 470 GDDR5 4GB CrossFire VR Ready FinFET DirectX 12 Graphics Card (Radeon RX 470 GAMING X 4G) Online at Low Prices in India | MSI Reviews & Rating
The design is cool (with bold RED), I have MSI botherboard too and 4 GB VRAM seems sufficient.

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
Re: Card for my i5-4570 PC, Games: RL, GTA V, Racing games, Bioshock Remaster, Budget: Below ~15k

RX 470 is perfect for your budget and also will last a long time for 1080p gaming for the titles you mentioned

Edit:There is also 1060 3GB but that isn't future proof cause of the low vram

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
Re: Card for my i5-4570 PC, Games: RL, GTA V, Racing games, Bioshock Remaster, Budget: Below ~15k

Also to answer your questions
1.Yes for your budget
2.Rx 470
3.4GB is more than enough for 1080p gaming especially racing games
4.Yes but CPU conversation is better anyways
5.No
6.Depends on manufacturer.Some have international warranties some don't
7.Yes

TheSloth

The Slowest One

5. Does a processor's integrated graphics part is freed to do work of CPU when the graphics load is offloaded to a dGPU?
A. No. as far as I know, a GPU can handle only graphics related computations, it will not handle other works of CPU. I do not know what a iGPU does while one is gaming on dGPU but it will not handle any execution which isn't related to the game's graphics.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, Checkout the size of the card too, see if it will fit in your cabinet. That MSI RX470 is big as per reviews

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

Well, thanks for quick (and short) answers to my questions [MENTION=163350]ZTR[/MENTION].
[MENTION=138367]TheSloth[/MENTION]: So that means the iGPU (HD 4600) will goto waste when I use a dGPU.

This brings me other questions:

1. Can I use a monitor with GPU's HDMI and another monitor with Mobo's VGA? Actual question is whether I can use both iGPU and dGPU together on different monitors? I don't know why I would want to do that, but I am curious.
2. The card on Amazon (link) is not covered under warranty (top comment also confirms this). Is there any reliable online store where I can get this card with warranty and cheapest?
SMC International website says coming soon.

Hrishi

Well, thanks for quick (and short) answers to my questions [MENTION=163350]ZTR[/MENTION].
[MENTION=138367]TheSloth[/MENTION]: So that means the iGPU (HD 4600) will goto waste when I use a dGPU.

This brings me other questions:

1. Can I use a monitor with GPU's HDMI and another monitor with Mobo's VGA? Actual question is whether I can use both iGPU and dGPU together on different monitors? I don't know why I would want to do that, but I am curious.
2. The card on Amazon (link) is not covered under warranty (top comment also confirms this). Is there any reliable online store where I can get this card with warranty and cheapest?
SMC International website says coming soon.
Yes, you can use both engines at a time.
There's a feature in BIOS known as multi-monitor support IGD, enable this.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

ZTR

Cyborg Agent

1.Yes
2.Buy Online | MSI RADEON RX 470 GAMING X 4G Graphic Card | Price in Indi

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

Yes, you can use both engines at a time.
There's a feature in BIOS known as multi-monitor support IGD, enable this.

Wow. I never knew it was possible. Offloading the graphics to two different graphics chip seems to be quite a smart idea. I don't know much practical usage, but I guess I will be able to run game on primary monitor using dGPU and can also show my desktop on another monitor via Integrated iGPU, at the same time. Right?

- - - Updated - - -

2.Buy Online | MSI RADEON RX 470 GAMING X 4G Graphic Card | Price in Indi

It's close to 20k. Which brings me to basic question: Do I really need a GPU with such cost?
How will be an RX 460 comparison to 470 for the games I want to play?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!

Cost to cost has it for 15.5k (taxes extra)

SAPPHIRE GRAPHICS CARD RADEON RX 470 4 GB DDR5 O
for 17k

Buy Online | Sapphire Radeon RX 470 4G D5 Graphic Card 11256-00-41G | Price in Indi

- - - Updated - - -

MSI RADEON RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC Smc Internationa

Hrishi

Wow. I never knew it was possible. Offloading the graphics to two different graphics chip seems to be quite a smart idea. I don't know much practical usage, but I guess I will be able to run game on primary monitor using dGPU and can also show my desktop on another monitor via Integrated iGPU, at the same time. Right?

- - - Updated - - -

It's close to 20k. Which brings me to basic question: Do I really need a GPU with such cost?
How will be an RX 460 comparison to 470 for the games I want to play?
That load balancing cross GPUs isn't really needed. The dGPU can alone handle everything.

RX460 is way weaker than RX470. You're better off buying a used GTX960 rather than a 460.
IMO, it's the right time to buy a GPU and if you can spend anywhere around 15-16k then you're better off buying an RX470 or else a GTX1060 3GB.
Both are beastly GPU that will do very well at 1080p. The nVidia card will perform much better than RX470 in old and pretty much every current game, however AMD will be more future proof due to 25% higher vRAM and long term support from AMD. It's a tradeoff tbh, if you aren't planning to change cards anytime in next 2-3yrs then better buy the RX470.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

ZTR

Cyborg Agent

Cost to cost has it for 15.5k (taxes extra)

SAPPHIRE GRAPHICS CARD RADEON RX 470 4 GB DDR5 O
for 17k

Buy Online | Sapphire Radeon RX 470 4G D5 Graphic Card 11256-00-41G | Price in Indi

- - - Updated - - -

MSI RADEON RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC Smc Internationa
Sapphire ones are reference coolers which aren't that great

The msi one looks good

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

Yes, the Sapphire are reference cards, and albeit don't look half bad, the MSI have twin fans and is BOLD red... really loved the design.

So I guess, if I am to buy the MSI RX 470 4 GB and in warranty I would need to shell upwards of 17k atleast.

SMC International have listed the GPU at 17,300 and that is OC version too. But that is listed as coming soon. :(

- - - Updated - - -

That load balancing cross GPUs isn't really needed. The dGPU can alone handle everything.

RX460 is way weaker than RX470. You're better off buying a used GTX960 rather than a 460.
IMO, it's the right time to buy a GPU and if you can spend anywhere around 15-16k then you're better off buying an RX470 or else a GTX1060 3GB.
Both are beastly GPU that will do very well at 1080p. The nVidia card will perform much better than RX470 in old and pretty much every current game, however AMD will be more future proof due to 25% higher vRAM and long term support from AMD. It's a tradeoff tbh, if you aren't planning to change cards anytime in next 2-3yrs then better buy the RX470.

I have seen the benchmarks of RX 460 and 470. Yes, the performance of 470 is miles ahead of 460, but so is the cost which albeit not double, but higher. But I don't think I can do justice to my PC by buying a 460.

Coming to the 1060, another reason than 3 GB, for not going with it is nVidia. I am not with nVidia due to their business practices and non open ecosystem in general.

TheSloth

The Slowest One

@TheSloth: So that means the iGPU (HD 4600) will goto waste when I use a dGPU.
No, it will not go completely waste. [STRIKE]dGPU only kicks in when the application you are running is graphics intensive. Suppose you are just watching a HD video, that time HD4600 will work. That is how systems are designed. though You can configure to play videos on dGPU but that will take more power(not sure here how much) and will generate more heat(not good for laptop owners).[/STRIKE]

Last edited:

ZTR

Cyborg Agent

No, it will not go completely waste. dGPU only kicks in when the application you are running is graphics intensive. Suppose you are just watching a HD video, that time HD4600 will work. That is how systems are designed. though You can configure to play videos on dGPU but that will take more power(not sure here how much) and will generate more heat(not good for laptop owners).
Um nope
This only works on laptops
On desktop the GPU that gives the output does the work
No such switching thing here

aaruni

The Linux Guy

No, it will not go completely waste. dGPU only kicks in when the application you are running is graphics intensive. Suppose you are just watching a HD video, that time HD4600 will work. That is how systems are designed. though You can configure to play videos on dGPU but that will take more power(not sure here how much) and will generate more heat(not good for laptop owners).

This only works in laptops, where the iGPU is the "display device" and the dGPU is the "render device". Display device is on the whole time. Render device only kicks in when its requested for (which you can configure in the driver control panel)

TheSloth

The Slowest One

My bad, I completely forgot that the monitor is connected to dGPU directly. Sorry

Thanks guys for correcting me and explaining :)

- - - Updated - - -

Read my comment again and again. I made fool out of myself. dammit.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

My bad, I completely forgot that the monitor is connected to dGPU directly. Sorry

Thanks guys for correcting me and explaining :)

- - - Updated - - -

Read my comment again and again. I made fool out of myself. dammit.
Nobody was made fool here. People get confused. What matters is they accept it when people correct them.

Look at me, I am still trying to understand the crux of this discussion, lol.

aaruni

The Linux Guy

Look at me, I am still trying to understand the crux of this discussion, lol.

[STRIKE]Hrishi says "when you have a new, beastly GPU, you don't really need to think about milking out every bit of performance you can from your intel HD solution. also, buy RX470 if you won't be buying another GPU in the next 2 to 3 years"[/STRIKE]

- - - Updated - - -

[MENTION=138367]TheSloth[/MENTION]: So that means the iGPU (HD 4600) will goto waste when I use a dGPU..

iGPU will not be used as long as you're using your dGPU. But that doesn't mean its wasted. Its always there for you, if you need to RMA your GPU, or some other scenario when you need graphics output, and don't really need high performance processing.

- - - Updated - - -

And as for using iGPU and dGPU side-by-side, I'm pretty sure its possible somehow, but I doubt the effort involved in getting it to work is worth it.

A

amit.tiger12

^is there any way to switch connections externally with wire (vga cable etc) between iGPU and dGPU.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

And as for using iGPU and dGPU side-by-side, I'm pretty sure its possible somehow, but I doubt the effort involved in getting it to work is worth it.

Suppose the following scenario:
I have two monitors and I don't want to game on both, possibly because one of the monitor, call it secondary monitor is smaller size.

So can I play a game on my primary fhd monitor (connected via gpu) and let the secondary monitor show desktop (Windows OS) with some other application like Telegram, IRC, spreadsheet (connected via igpu). Can this secondary monitor play a video being processed via igpu?

Is that possible?

Top Bottom