Optimus Black? Desire S? Galaxy SL? DEATH?!?!?!?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
but X7 have Broadcom GPU. & also how is CPU related to loading times?

check the video of the same game loading on SGS or other droids with powerful GPU.

and also check video of the game loading on ace and other shitty droids.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Loading time is CPU dependent not GPU. My Samsung Wave loads NFS Shift much faster than my friend's Nokia N8.

well then it is a CPU problem i guess.

check the video of the same game loading on SGS or other droids with powerful GPU.

CPU or GPU? Naino is talking about CPU. you about GPU. confused.

i read that the whole load of the new breed of Symbian S^3 based mobiles is on the GPU. it does have around 32Mb of dedicated graphics memory of which 20Mb is used by apps or so.(link). but the link between GPU & CPU maybe bottleneck the whole loading process.

PS: yet to check the video but was X7 running the HD version? i played the plain version & loading takes little longer than other similar games.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
well then it is a CPU problem i guess.

CPU or GPU? Naino is talking about CPU. you about GPU. confused.

i read that the whole load of the new breed of Symbian S^3 based mobiles is on the GPU. it does have around 32Mb of dedicated graphics memory of which 20Mb is used by apps or so.(link). but the link between GPU & CPU maybe bottleneck the whole loading process.

PS: yet to check the video but was X7 running the HD version? i played the plain version & loading takes little longer than other similar games.

CPU. SoC to be precise. as a powerful CPU might load the game faster but will make it crawl without good GPU.

OP
MetallosaurusRex

MetallosaurusRex

Broken In
Yes, its a fact that h/w specs of X7 are inferior to the phones in that price range.

I have no idea about Windows Phone 7. Anyone can tell me its advantages/disadvantages over Android and Symbian?

I'm asking this because of this

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Yes, its a fact that h/w specs of X7 are inferior to the phones in that price range.

I have no idea about Windows Phone 7. Anyone can tell me its advantages/disadvantages over Android and Symbian?

I'm asking this because of this

The UI is damn smooth and yet not too simple like iOS.
You need not worry at all about the phone becoming laggy or the apps not being compatible, thanks to strict manufacturing rules laid down by MS
The apps are less right now but few weeks/months from now, there will be many and they actually work better on WP7 than on android or symbian.

-ves:

1. depends on zune client for transfers but given that you can do wireless sync, shouldn't be much of a problem
2. too much of sideways scrolling and sometimes, there is too much of text.

OP
MetallosaurusRex

MetallosaurusRex

Broken In
So what do you suggest? Shall I wait for Nokia's WP7 to come to India? What would be the approx. release time?

Some concerns about:
  • battery life
  • music quality
  • camera
  • battery life
  • maps

I assume WP7 is better than Symbian in all ways?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
So what do you suggest? Shall I wait for Nokia's WP7 to come to India? What would be the approx. release time?

Some concerns about:
  • battery life
  • music quality
  • camera
  • maps

I assume WP7 is better than Symbian in all ways?

most of these (except maps) depends on h/w and not on s/w. Nokia has always pioneered most of these like music quality, camera, maps.

Imagine Nokia X7 running WP7, powered by Tegra or Snapdragon. h/w wise, this is better than many mid-range devices and though I liked S^3 on this one, many feel that it is outdated. WP7 should make it one heck of a phone.

OP
MetallosaurusRex

MetallosaurusRex

Broken In
most of these (except maps) depends on h/w and not on s/w. Nokia has always pioneered most of these like music quality, camera, maps.

Imagine Nokia X7 running WP7, powered by Tegra or Snapdragon. h/w wise, this is better than many mid-range devices and though I liked S^3 on this one, many feel that it is outdated. WP7 should make it one heck of a phone.

But these WP7 specific limitations look disturbing :\

• No system-wide file manager
  • No Bluetooth file transfers
  • No USB mass storage mode
  • Limited third-party apps availability
  • No Flash (nor Silverlight) support in the browser
  • Too dependent on Zune software for file management and syncing
  • No video calls
  • New ringtones available only through the Marketplace
  • Music player lacks equalizer presets
  • No multitasking
  • No copy/paste
  • No DivX/XviD video support (automatic transcoding provided by Zune software)
  • No sign of free Bing maps Navigation so far
  • No internet tethering support
  • No handwriting recognition support

(copied from GSMArena)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
But these WP7 specific limitations look disturbing :\

• No system-wide file manager
  • No Bluetooth file transfers
  • No USB mass storage mode
  • Limited third-party apps availability
  • No Flash (nor Silverlight) support in the browser
  • Too dependent on Zune software for file management and syncing
  • No video calls
  • New ringtones available only through the Marketplace
  • Music player lacks equalizer presets
  • No multitasking
  • No copy/paste
  • No DivX/XviD video support (automatic transcoding provided by Zune software)
  • No sign of free Bing maps Navigation so far
  • No internet tethering support
  • No handwriting recognition support

(copied from GSMArena)

some of these are fixed with Mango while some are restrictions that will never be fixed and are fixed using hacks. Like I said, it won't offer the flexibility of Android. This OS sits between iOS and android.

btw, who is using handwriting in the era of capacitive touch?

Microsoft Previews Next Release of Windows Phone: “Mangoâ€￾ to deliver smarter and easier communications, apps and Internet experiences and bring Windows Phone to more customers around the world.

OP
MetallosaurusRex

MetallosaurusRex

Broken In
ok...thanks for the link. I still believe Android is for the longer run, more futuristic than WP7 or Symbian. Looks like I still have some time to go before I decide :\

OP
MetallosaurusRex

MetallosaurusRex

Broken In
Well, Xperia Mini pro is out for around 15k. It has better specs in (almost) every department than the Wildfire S

...and I am waiting for Nokia's WP7 phones to arrive ;)

Just read: Is Defy+ gonna be out soon? Any price predictions and what features would it have? Desibond?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Well, Xperia Mini pro is out for around 15k. It has better specs in (almost) every department than the Wildfire S

Just read: Is Defy+ gonna be out soon? Any price predictions and what features would it have? Desibond?

There are lot of Motorola's droids that never made to India. Till it is officially released here, I wouldn't speculate.

OP
MetallosaurusRex

MetallosaurusRex

Broken In
ok...enough waiting for WP7. I guess its sometime they arrive in the market and I should now go with the popular choice that is Android.

With extensive searching on Android phones with good sound and camera quality in 20k...I have shortlisted Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo. Guess I have to stretch my budget to a few grands more. Anyone has any idea of its exact price (street and online)? Would it be sensible to buy it if its price is close to Optimus 2X? I am sure its audio and cam quality is better than Desire S(5MP), with Desire S probably having better UI.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent

Defy+ is the same as the Defy but with a 1GHz processor and Gingerbread. Also still doesn't have a front camera, otherwise a really good package.

OP
MetallosaurusRex

MetallosaurusRex

Broken In
ok...enough waiting for WP7. I guess its sometime they arrive in the market and I should now go with the popular choice that is Android.

With extensive searching on Android phones with good sound and camera quality in 20k...I have shortlisted Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo. Guess I have to stretch my budget to a few grands more. Anyone has any idea of its exact price (street and online)? Would it be sensible to buy it if its price is close to Optimus 2X? I am sure its audio and cam quality is better than Desire S(5MP), with Desire S probably having better UI.

Well, not considering Defy or WP7 anymore. I am now considering Xperia Neo, Ray, Optimus 2X and probably Desire S. Sites say Xperia Neo is "coming soon" and I see the prices around 24k :-x Anyone saw a better price?

I see that Ray and Neo have exactly the same specs, except for Ray's smaller screen. I guess small screen wont let me enjoy Android as much? Does Optimus 2X have good enough audio quality?

OP
MetallosaurusRex

MetallosaurusRex

Broken In
Well, yes. But the audio numbers look excellent (GSMArena). May be they can perform better with the better earphones that I have. Lets c. Of course, cam is good and build quality is good.

Xperia Neo and Ray will take a month or more to come to market, asked the Sony World guys.

So, I have more or less finalized on O:2X, for the performance and features it has for a few grands extra. I believe it to be a future proof phone! If anyone has any strong suggestions against it, please speak now as I am gonna buy it tomorrow probably ;)

OP
MetallosaurusRex

MetallosaurusRex

Broken In
Not really ok with rooting/flashing. I guess Gingerbread (and then ICS) would be enough to make me happy.

You're saying this because LG UI sucks?

Top Bottom