Optimum Display size for Smart phones

ravikovela

Broken In
Hi,

I am planning to buy an Android smart phone.

What is the optimum screen size for comfortable browsing and text tying (avoid pressing the wrong characters).

3.5inch is enough?

Thanks.

ayushman9

Journeyman
Depends upon your choice & fancy . I have seen people working comfortably even in small screen like that of older e62 .

But yes there is a personal observation . You will never like a phone that has small display size than your previous one. Fo example i have a star 3G of 3.2 inches . So any phone that has a similar or small screen size seems to be absurd to me . I have seen this trend with lots of people.

But as general rule ,3.5 is ok for web browsing & image browsing etc ,but for video or document viewing a larger screen is recommended

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
3.7" to 4" imo.

iPhone 4's 3.5" screen looks small to me. My SGS2's 4.3" screen feels too big.

ujjwal321

Journeyman
i don't think 3.5inch enough... if you have never used a bigger screen it might feel enough for you but 3.8"-4.2" is idea imo.. watching video, web browsing, playing games specially with on screen control is far better on bigger screen..

WolVish

Broken In
Also consider the overall size (Dimensions) of the phone along with the screen size. I compared my 3.7 inch screen Defy and 3.3 inch (Original) Wave, and guess what - Wave looked bulky and big.

vulpine

Broken In
IMHO 3.7" is the ideal size.....(for single handed comfortable operation)
even 4" ed Galaxy S is too big for a single handed operation.

I just hate those 4.7" So called phones... they should be called tablets.....

Another theory is that.... If you have one of these 4.7" HD phones and get used to it.... you will no more feel it is bigger.... you will appreciate the screen estate and resolution.... and pity others who use miniature 4" displays :D

PS: BTW Steve jobs feels that 3.5" is the ideal size for single handed comfortable operation. I remember reading it some where.

Last edited:

maddy1205

bloody hell mate!!!!
3.7" to 4" would be the ideal screen....my defy has 3.7" display...although having a 4" screen wont hurt!!

Omi

-=[-_-]=-
depends on your priority and use
if you are rough handler or college going, refrain from >=4.0
not only mobility is hindered but you also have to take constant care.

But yeah its hell fun to use the sgs2's 4.3" screen esp to surf and watch Victoria's Secret fashion shows 720p on you mobile during the maths lecture!, not to forget gaming.

Kvishal

In the zone
3.7" to 4" imo.

iPhone 4's 3.5" screen looks small to me. My SGS2's 4.3" screen feels too big.

iPhone 4/ 4S with 3.5 Inch screen certainly looks very small today in front of all its competitior who are minimum of 4 Inch + and that is precisely the reason the shorter screen size of iPhone 4s whhich has stopped me from buying it. I wish some good sense will prevail with people at Apple and they will come out with a minimum of 4 Inch Screen Size phone with iPhone-5.

Amen :grin: !!

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
If you don't mind the bulk or the price, then bigger is better. But if you want to slide the thing into your jeans pocket, you should stick to something around 3.5". Less than 3.5" is obviously small for a smartphone, so go for something bigger than 3.5"

arsenalfan001

Arsenal Fan
Dimension is also important along with the screen size.
I own a Xperia Arc (4.2 inch) and one of my team member has Galaxy S II (4.3 inch).
Guess what, the galaxy feels a lot bigger than mine even if the screen size is almost ideatical.
About optimum size, 3.7 to 4 is enough. Remember, larger display will drain the battery faster.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Dimension is also important along with the screen size.
I own a Xperia Arc (4.2 inch) and one of my team member has Galaxy S II (4.3 inch).
Guess what, the galaxy feels a lot bigger than mine even if the screen size is almost ideatical.
About optimum size, 3.7 to 4 is enough. Remember, larger display will drain the battery faster.

yes I agree :+1:

Top Bottom