Operators warn of 'missed calls'.....

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
If you get a missed call from a number starting with +92, #90 or #09, do not call back on that number, as there are possibilities that your SIM card will get cloned. The telecom operators have started alerting their subscribers about such dubious calls, especially about the numbers starting with above mentioned prefixes.

According to reports, over one lakh subscribers have been victims of what is being dubbed as “telecom terror attack”. Times of India in its report says Intelligence agencies have confirmed the presence of a racket and that the menace is growing rapidly. "We are sure there must be some more similar combinations that the miscreants are using to clone the handsets and all the information stored in them," an intelligence officer told TOI. Intelligence agencies have issued special alerts for users in UP West division.

State-run telecom operator, BSNL, has already started issuing alerts to all its broadband subscribers and is currently issuing alerts via SMSes as well.

It's learnt that one can steal subscriber's information stored in the phone or even from the external memory after cloning. Also, one can use the cloned copy to make calls to any number they want. “Though it will be established during the course of investigations that the cellphone has been cloned and misused elsewhere, it is sure to land the subscriber under quite some pressure till the time the fact about his or her phone being cloned and misused is established,” intelligence sources said.

It's not first time when such incident has come into the light. Read our report on smartphones becoming new target for cyber criminals. Earlier this year, the media had reported about an international racket that involved lottery scams, and raked in money when users called back on the premium numbers. According to reports, these racketeers could also clone SIM cards simply when one calls back at that number.

How to keep your phone secure :

Don't call back on missed calls from suspicious international numbers
Don't share your personal details such as bank account information
Report such SMSes/missed calls to your operator
You can also report to the TRAI

Have you also received such dubious SMSes or missed calls? Let us know in the comments section below:

Source
Original Source

I don't get it.. how on earth can one close a SIM card via a voice call :| let alone access device information .. need to investigate this bullcrap information is even technically possible.

Last edited:

d3p

PowerHouse
Lets not forget the real source, from where this article was originated.

TOI - Stays with bullsh!t..

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
It's not about cloning only but sometimes these numbers charge you a very high rate for calling.
That's common sense.. how many of you would return a missed call from a international number, few uneducated/older people may do that cause they might now be able to distinguish the international numbers but most of the current generation will know about it?

its fine that they are saying not to call back to a suspicious phone number, but telling that their simcard will be cloned is pure bullsh!t.

Gauravs90

geek........
It's only to stop people from calling back.

Cloning is even possible by just caller id...? I don't think so.

techiemaharaj

--> Techie - Maharaj
I've received call for more than 10 times now from +92.
Nice tht I'm using an app that tells me the location of the no.,it showed pakistan, so never bothered to pick / call back....

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Hmmm i have been hearing a lot of these things these days.
I remember last year i got a call from a +92 no and i picked it up.
The person said hello sir you airtel number has been selected for a prize I cut the phone

Top Bottom