Opera Mini 4.2 beta is out

Status
Not open for further replies.

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Opera has launched a beta version of the Opera Mini 4.2 today. The upgrade from version 4.1 to 4.2 sees some much expected additions to the features list. Although we did want some more (how about multiple page support?), the current revisions should keep hard-core Opera fans a happy lot.

So whats new?

Well, to start with, support for YouTube and video sharing websites has been enhanced. You can now select multiple themes and change the look of the browser. Apart from this, there has been small improvements in the Opera link feature using which users can now share notes between their mobile phones and PCs. This was limited to bookmarks and recently visited URLs in the previous version. Along with this release, Opera is also launching a new server park in the United States. This will mean faster browsing speeds for users in the U.S and the Asia Pacific.

I did get a chance to compare the browsing speeds between the new beta and the previous stable version and the new one did seem faster. Now, these tests were completely unscientific and are not to be seen as a "verdict" of sorts.

The YouTube streaming was flawless. However, I did try out Opera 4.1 with an older Sony Ericsson K750i and it had no problems playing the YouTube video. I am yet to ascertain if the YouTube support enhancement is noticeable only with select handsets.

As for Series 60 phones, with Opera Mini 4.1, the "watch video" option used to open up in the default browser and users got the "start stream" link -- similar to what Sony Ericsson users get now. With version 4.2, its one-click less and the video starts playing directly in RealPlayer.

I will leave you with the "unboxing" pictures of Opera Mini 4.2. All pictures are from an N73. I did try the browser on a Sony Ericsson K790i and all the functions worked seamlessly.
Now we know this is kinda cruel -- just for fun sake, we did an Acid3 test on the both the versions of Opera Mini. These are just for the "geek value" and an Acid3 test is not designed for a mobile browser. However, guess what? In our tests, the older version did score marginally better. Have a look at the screenshots!

Opera Mini 4.2 Beta is now available for download. The new skins and the added features will definitely keep you busy!

Source

Sumeet_naik

It doesn't matter!
Its beta your talking about rite.. I've downloaded it yesterday.. Feels pretty much the same.. Though I haven't checked the notes feature it boasts about...

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Posting from it right now. Not much seems new apart from the ability to change the skin and ability to launch the streaming player in Youtube. But when the streaming player is launched, Opera Mini itself closes, which is annoying and then you have to start it again after the video. I hope they find a way to just minimize it in the final version without closing, atleast in phones which support minimizing Java apps.

Sumeet_naik

It doesn't matter!
New server park in US is added.. Faster browsing for US and Asia-Pacific..

I've been changing skins every two hours..

Last edited:

Power UP

In the zone
Slightly increased speed and themes , nice. Hoping that they also add caching,proper download manager and some more extras.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom