Opera files a case against Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

narangz

Web developer
@Devil- Then why not Apple & Linux distros are also slapped with anti-trust suites in EU?

1. AFAIK IE is not the default browser unless user launches it in Vista. Even the quick launch icon appears after IE7 is launched once.
2. WMP11 in Vista is not the default MP. You have to execute it & then select what files you want to be associated with WMP11. The quick launch icon appears only after it is launched once from the program menu.

Last edited:

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^apple:No Idea maybe cos very less people use it.

Linux:lols,They are mostly free of cost you see and you can use whichever compatible browser you like and let me tell you not all give firefox as default web browser.And you guys better not compare linux to M$\Windows.

And I say it again:just wait and watch,opera is gonna win the case.

All hail europe and european courts.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Offtopic but,
They should file a case against apple IMO,
See this:
*www.apple.com/safari/

They claim that safari is faster than all browsers,
Like hell it is,I used it on windows and its way slow compared to the new 9.5 beta.

Regards,
ray

narangz

Web developer
The_Devil_Himself said:
^^apple:No Idea maybe cos very less people use it.

Linux:lols,They are mostly free of cost you see and you can use whichever compatible browser you like and let me tell you not all give firefox as default web browser.And you guys better not compare linux to M$\Windows.

And I say it again:just wait and watch,opera is gonna win the case.

All hail europe and european courts.

Oh so IE 7 is not a freeware? Can't you use Opera, Firefox, Safari in Windows & set them as default?

Check out my edited post above, please.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^man get it right:I said Linux distros are free not the fugging web browsers.But tell me is windows free?

I have paid for sh!t and I am gonna tell everybody that They should also do the same.

narangz

Web developer
The_Devil_Himself said:
^^man get it right:I said Linux distros are free not the fugging web browsers.But tell me is windows free?

I have paid for sh!t and I am gonna tell everybody that They should also do the same.

Where the hell am I telling people to use Vista? Man you are attacking indirectly in your posts.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
@narangz,
Its simply due to MS having the major share,
think of smthing like this,
One guy goes around shouting,nobody cares,
100guys go around shouting, cops call it a riot and throw them in.

Regards,
ray

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
@nagaranz:lol.No offence meant.Glad you get the meaning.

I just wanted to convey that linux is free and windows costs a bomb.

spose that you are a developer that develops,lets say, a media player.It can be free to use or paid.Now since windows is selling their XP\Vista with WMP bundled you you're losing potential users of your product,isn't it?And this is precisely what norton(closed kernel) and real media player said earlier and actually won their cases in europe and now its opera filing this case.

It may sound unjust from M$ point of view but it is not!!Trust me.

Also,consider the second point--IE doesn't follow standard rules in web world.Web developers have to make different copies for the same webpage and that sux!.

I hope I have cleared my point.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
The_Devil_Himself said:

Windows: Lolz...IE is mostly free of cost & you can use which ever compatible browser u want whether safari, opera, firefox, lynx, k-melon....& tell u what, IE is not the default browser in Windows Vista unless u start it once.

gx_saurav has never heard of FTP

Sure, write the name of the FTP server in the manual given inside the retail Windows Box. How will u find out the FTP address other then this.

So, Why not this....just give the kernel in Windows DVD with nothing bundled, & just a command line DOS shell. Now, bundle a 1000 page manual with ftp address written in it for file browser, media player etc.

Oh....I forgot, a dialer or LAN connection method cannot be given bundled either with Windows...:D

narangz

Web developer
The_Devil_Himself said:
1. @nagaranz:lol.No offence meant.Glad you get the meaning.

I just wanted to convey that linux is free and windows costs a bomb.

2. spose that you are a developer that develops,lets say, a media player.It can be free to use or paid.Now since windows is selling their XP\Vista with WMP bundled you you're losing potential users of your product,isn't it?And this is precisely what norton(closed kernel) and real media player said earlier and actually won their cases in europe and now its opera filing this case.

It may sound unjust from M$ point of view but it is not!!Trust me.

3. Also,consider the second point--IE doesn't follow standard rules in web world.Web developers have to make different copies for the same webpage and that sux!.

I hope I have cleared my point.

1. I got the meaning in the other thread too. I hope you remember that thread.

2. Apple is also bundling products. Eg.- Safari. One day someone will sue a linux distro for making FF the default browser(that's what I meant in the thread above but couldn't write in a proper way) Now isn't this a silly suite? That Syamntec case is also a fine piece of how partiality is done. MS can't even make their OWN OS more secure!!!

3. I agree with this point. IE should follow W3C guidelines. But what problem Opera has in this?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
The_Devil_Himself said:
spose that you are a developer that develops,lets say, a media player.It can be free to use or paid.Now since windows is selling their XP\Vista with WMP bundled you you're losing potential users of your product,isn't it?And this is precisely what norton(closed kernel) and real media player said earlier and actually won their cases in europe and now its opera filing this case.

So, Microsoft is not allowed to give better out of the box experience to the users. Hey, then why do u Linux users always blame MS for not providing good out of the box experience.

Is Microsoft prohibiting anyone from using Real Player as the default player for everything in Windows Vista.

Is Microsoft wrong in making the kernel of Windows Vista secure from any kind of external intrusion?

Also,consider the second point--IE doesn't follow standard rules in web world.Web developers have to make different copies for the same webpage and that sux!.

This I agree to, just wait for IE 8 scheduled in 2008.

This is what Opera said...

• Remove Internet Explorer from its Windows operating systems. Opera is also asking that Microsoft allow for other web browsers to be pre-installed with Windows along with desktop icons for each respective browser.
Why? Opera isn't made by MS. So if tomorrow there is some problem in Opera due to which a customar calls MS tech support, MS has to deal with something they have not even created.

People talk about bloat & crapware in Windows. Isn't having 5 browsers instead of 1, like Opera, Firefox, Lynx, Safari, & K-Mellon installed, along with OpenOffice.org, Explorer, Gnome & KDE all preinstalled also a bloat.

If a customar wants something else, or if he is sick of IE 7 he can simply search on the provided search box in IE 7 for "Internet explorer alternative".

If he wants to change the default search provider, just go to that site like google & it automatically gives an option to set google as default search engine.

Force Microsoft to comply with open Web standards brought forth by Web-authoring communities.

Yup, do this. Oh! wait....for IE 8.

Last edited:

fun2sh

Pawned!... Beyond GODLIKE
are opera wants to gain publicity!!! thats its!! by suein MS they will cum in light more n ppl of europe n usa (where IE is used max) wil cum to know that THEIR FAV IE IS BEIN SUED BY A LOT LOT BETTER BROWSER!!!!!

@gx_saurav: IE 8? and in the meanwhile?

and linux is not in the picture at all, because most distros(dvd editions) also have other browsers like konqueror and that thing whose name I forgot in fluxbuntu

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i dont how many of u guys see Boston Legal on star world but apparently this wednesday's episode had william shatner - in show danny crane fighting something similar and he did a very simple demonstration ...

when ur no. 1 in something u have a big bulls eye imprinted on ur a$$ and every1 tries to aim at it same is the case with MS; it has a big bulls eye printed on its a$$ any1 who wants publicity aims at it ;)

(in show he stripped to his underwear which had a bulls eye printed on the back)

and btw this is what opera actually means by the law suit: We cant beat u so we will sue u :) thats fair aint it

din

Tribal Boy
gx_saurav said:
So, Microsoft is not allowed to give better out of the box experience to the users. Hey, then why do u Linux users always blame MS for not providing good out of the box experience.

Is Microsoft prohibiting anyone from using Real Player as the default player for everything in Windows Vista.

Oh no, not again !

The monopoly, killing competition in un-ethical ways - Already discussed many times in this forum, also around the world. And measures has been taken against MS by various courts. No need to argue on that ! Discussed many many times ....

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ very dino sir:

windows aint allowed to give media player; not allowed to give a secure OS; not allowed to make live search as its default search and not allowed to give ie also :lol: un-ethical ways its very un-ethical for a company to bundle something that they make with another product they make

its ethical for nokia to give bundled headfones with their cell fones

its very ethical for apple to give safari; instant search; itunes with os x very ethical its so freakin ethical that no 1 files a case against it

but its very un-ethical for ms to bundle wmp & ie :lol:

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
Problem with Microsoft - had they not given a browser along the OS, People would have said, WTF, i paid 200$+ for this and it doesnt have a simple webbrowser so i can check mails

If they give Explorer, WTF, Microsoft wants its monopoly......

Microsoft - Damn if they do it, damned if they dont.

Remember the story of Man, his son and a Donkey, Duniya kisi bhi tarah jine nahi degi

din

Tribal Boy
sorry no comments at all ! Explained it by experts / courts many times, so why should I !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom