Opera files a case against Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batistabomb

Deadman Walking
iMav said:
i dont how many of u guys see Boston Legal on star world but apparently this wednesday's episode had william shatner - in show danny crane fighting something similar and he did a very simple demonstration ...

when ur no. 1 in something u have a big bulls eye imprinted on ur a$$ and every1 tries to aim at it same is the case with MS; it has a big bulls eye printed on its a$$ any1 who wants publicity aims at it ;)

(in show he stripped to his underwear which had a bulls eye printed on the back)

and btw this is what opera actually means by the law suit: We cant beat u so we will sue u :) thats fair aint it

well said, this is true

OP
NucleusKore

NucleusKore

TheSaint
naveen_reloaded said:
Gx saurav superb fact..without ie how can one download opera?
Stupids..

You're both fatheads. There are enough and more ways to download and install software in linux without a browser.

I pity your ignorance

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
NucleusKore said:
You're both fatheads. There are enough and more ways to download and install software in linux without a browser.

umm....we are talking about Windows here.

Windows is not Linux.

The key with the success of Windows is that things work fine even without internet connection. U can always get software from 3rd party sources like magzine & books etc.

If Microsoft bundles something like synaptic with Windows, then they again will be sued cos...

1) It point to Windows Market place by default *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/10.gif

2) Windows Comes bundled with Microsoft Application Search by default, due to which customars don't get to use Google Application Search or Opera application search*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/24.gif

Dude...talk something which makes sense.

din

Tribal Boy
Gettng diverted ..

gx_saurav said:
The key with the success of Windows is that things work fine even without internet connection. U can always get software from 3rd party sources like magzine & books etc.

If you meant the drivers - Most vendors make drivers for Win thinking only less people use Lin. Thats changing now and Lin automatically detect a lot of devices (like XP) than before and more vendors / community people are coming with drivers. They will be available in CDs etc, no doubt.

If you meant third party softwares, there are a lot of software coming in magazine CDs just like Win.

I guess you meant the Ubuntu CD may be ? Ubuntu DVD will do it for people who do not have a fast internet connection (just as an example).

And if you meant the OS updates, then its again same as Win - download updates as in Windows, no difference !

Not sure why we are discussing the bundling / monopoly / killing competition issues again ! They are discussed many times. And many courts around the world took correct decisions as well too. So why argue on that again ?

Last edited:

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
For heavens sake! It is an Operating System!!
When a user buys an operating system, he expects it to atleast play music, surf the internet with it! Would you pay for an operating system which cannot even play music or browse the internet?
How many people have bought the Windows N Editions in EU, how many OEMs bundle N Editions with their computers? I had read a report sometime back that not a single copy of the N edition has been sold.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
We are not talking about Linux here.

din said:
If you meant the drivers - Most vendors make drivers for Win thinking only less people use Lin. Thats changing now and Lin automatically detect a lot of devices (like XP) than before and more vendors / community people are coming with drivers. They will be available in CDs etc, no doubt.

I was not talking about drivers,
If you meant third party softwares, there are a lot of software coming in magazine CDs just like Win.

Yup, but I hope u know about the sorry state of offline package management in Linux. Not every company makes a big 24 MB deb file like google does for picasa.

Ubuntu DVD will do it for people who do not have a fast internet connection (just as an example).

Ubuntu should be sued cos they bundle Firefox in Ubuntu because of which people don't get to use KDE Browser :D

They should be sued cos they give synaptic, due to which people don't get to use Adapt.

OP
NucleusKore

NucleusKore

TheSaint
alsiladka said:
For heavens sake! It is an Operating System!!
When a user buys an operating system, he expects it to atleast play music, surf the internet with it! Would you pay for an operating system which cannot even play music or browse the internet?
How many people have bought the Windows N Editions in EU, how many OEMs bundle N Editions with their computers? I had read a report sometime back that not a single copy of the N edition has been sold.

Yes, then they are obliged to give users a choice of browsers, media players and everything else. That is not an excuse of integrating it so much that it cannot be removed.

OP
NucleusKore

NucleusKore

TheSaint
gx_saurav said:
Ubuntu should be sued cos they bundle Firefox in Ubuntu because of which people don't get to use KDE Browser :D

Yes, they bundle it, but you can uninstall it and install something else. It is not integrated into the OS. Can you uninstall Internet Explorer? Your comparison is not valid.

din

Tribal Boy
gx_saurav said:
Suppose MS provides Vista without any browser, how will u download Opera then *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/24.gif

I am ignorant on this as I do not use Vista. My question is, no other browser support Vista yet ? If thats the case, then gx is right. If any other browser is there and if they are available in CDs, no need of IE to download Opera too.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
yup the comparison is not valid coz IE is numero uno - and if we cant beat u we will sue u :)

OP
NucleusKore

NucleusKore

TheSaint
din said:
I am ignorant on this as I do not use Vista. My question is, no other browser support Vista yet ? If thats the case, then gx is right. If any other browser is there and if they are available in CDs, no need of IE to download Opera too.

Yes, he is right if they bundle it as there would be no option to browse knowing that is a deficiency of the "superior" OS. The objection being raised here is that they lock it up with the OS. Why can't I download Firefox through IE and uninstall IE completely?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
NucleusKore said:
Yes, then they are obliged to give users a choice of browsers, media players and everything else.

Umm...When u start windows vista for the first time, you are given the Welcome center which clearly shows "Windows Market place". Click on it, & u can download any 3rd party browser from Windows market place....

*img110.imageshack.us/img110/7378/marketpi1.th.jpg

Oh wait...that opens a link in a "browser", but I forgot it will not be installed.*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/24.gif

How will MS give user choice to download another browser? Ok, I get it....they should ask the user "Which browser do u want to install? IE Firefox or Opera". Once clicked on opera, Windows will download & install it automatically. But all of a sudden there is some problem in Opera, something is not working, the customar calls MS tech support just to get the answer..."Opera is not made by MS, we cannot support it, plz contact opera"...result, customar cursing MS...cos support doesn't matter at that time when the customar wants to read his E-Mail ASAP.

That is not an excuse of integrating it so much that it cannot be removed.

Can you uninstall Internet Explorer?

Add/Remove Windows component in control panel has been there since...................Windows 2000 *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/25.gif

Go ahead, remove WMP, IE 7, Windows Mail...whatever u need from Vista. The IE engine will still be there for Windows as Windows help etc depends on it.

If any other browser is there and if they are available in CDs, no need of IE to download Opera too

This has been told long back in the "How to make Windows better" thread, Microsoft cannot bundle 3rd party products in Windows DVD. It's not there product & responsibility.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
NucleusKore said:
The objection being raised here is that they lock it up with the OS. Why can't I download Firefox through IE and uninstall IE completely?

Dude...seriously. This is Windows, not Linux. Stop trying to make Windows work & act like Linux. Windows is not Linux.

U want to uninstall a Windows component, u r free to do so in Windows itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom