OpenSUSE 11.0 : Novel Juggernaut Triumphs !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
*www.imgx.org/files/18135_plkbe/openSUSE%20Logo.png​

The openSUSE project is a community program sponsored by Novell. Promoting the use of Linux everywhere, this program provides free, easy access to openSUSE, a complete Linux distribution.

The openSUSE Project is proud to announce the release of openSUSE 11.0 — everything you need to get started with Linux on the desktop and on the server. Promoting the use of Linux everywhere, the openSUSE Project provides free, easy access to the world’s most usable Linux distribution, openSUSE.

*www.imgx.org/thumbs/small/18127_aa18u/OS11.0-boot1.png *www.imgx.org/thumbs/small/18128_bkxjb/Splash.jpg *www.imgx.org/thumbs/small/18129_csg8t/Log%20In.jpg​

The 11.0 release of openSUSE includes more than 200 new features specific to openSUSE, a redesigned installer that makes openSUSE even easier to install, faster package management thanks to major updates in the ZYpp stack, and KDE 4, GNOME 2.22, Compiz Fusion, and much more.

GNOME 2.22 : openSUSE’s GNOME is very close to upstream GNOME, because Novell and openSUSE want to do as much work as possible in the upstream release. However, we do modify GNOME’s artwork to provide a unified look and feel for the distro.

KDE 4.0 : openSUSE 11.0 is the first openSUSE release to include a stable release of KDE 4.0. This release includes sweeping changes in the KDE desktop, and represents the next generation of KDE. This release includes a new desktop shell, called Plasma, a new look and feel (called Oxygen), and many interface and usability improvements.

*www.imgx.org/thumbs/large/18125_pv9zr/desktop4.png *www.imgx.org/thumbs/large/18131_yft3y/Desktop.jpg​

Xfce 4.4 : openSUSE 11.0 features the latest Xfce 4.4.2, with a string of new changes including composite effects.

Compiz Fusion : The openSUSE desktop is not only a green glorious sight to behold, it’s also available in 3-D! Compiz Fusion is now the default in openSUSE 11.0.

*www.imgx.org/pfiles/8923/cube-deform-sphere-thumb.jpeg *www.imgx.org/pfiles/8921/cube-deform-cylinder-thumb.jpeg *www.imgx.org/pfiles/8925/cube-deform-trans-thumb.jpeg

Banshee 1.0 : openSUSE 11.0 includes Banshee 1.0. The Banshee media player has been re-written to improve performance and includes many new features, including video playback, better “shuffle” playback, support for iPods, MTP devices, and mass storage player devices, and support for podcasts and better Last.fm integration.

*www.imgx.org/files/18134_zvlvl/banshee-musicsm.png *www.imgx.org/files/18133_ngqck/banshee-podcastingsmall.png​

Other Features :
  • Firefox 3.0
  • Gimp 2.4.5
  • OpenOffice.org 2.4
  • Wine 1.0
  • NetworkManager 0.7
  • Linux 2.6.25.4, AppArmor 2.3, Xen 3.2.1 RC1
  • Alsa 1.0.16
  • glibc 2.8 branch
  • binutils 2.18.50 SVN
  • cmake 2.6
  • gcc 4.3 branch
  • gdb 6.8
  • Perl 5.10
  • ConsoleKit 0.2.10
  • CUPS 1.3.7
  • D-Bus 1.2.1
  • NetworkManager 0.7 SVN
  • PackageKit 0.2.1
  • PolicyKit 0.7
  • PulseAudio 0.9.10
  • Samba 3.2pre2
  • X.org 7.3

Download : Index of /distribution/11.0/iso/torrent | Software.openSUSE.org
Home Page : openSUSE.org | Product Highlights/11.0 - openSUSE | Testing:Features 11.0 - openSUSE

sganesh

Journeyman
Open suse truely Rocks!!,But ill be more happy if digit team includes opensuse11 in July edition!!!,or can anyone tell where to buy or get opensuse11 in cheap rate,i am living in chennai(tamil Nadu)

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Open suse truely Rocks!!,But ill be more happy if digit team includes opensuse11 in July edition!!!,or can anyone tell where to buy or get opensuse11 in cheap rate,i am living in chennai(tamil Nadu)

I will charge Rs 20 + shipping as actuals so it won't work out. It would be better if you contact a LUG near you, see here
*wikiwikiweb.de/LugsList

Pat

Beyond Smart

Probably with August issue, I reckon..Its difficult to bundle it on DVD for the july issue (Its 20th today already)

Rahim

Married!
I am willing to install this with XP(I dont use it, its just there) & Ubuntu Hardy.
Will its installer recognise the other 2 or would i have to edit menu.lst file?

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I might actually try out OpenSuse. After all there must be some reason why NucleusKore is sticking with it :). the packages seemed to be updated good enough. And I see that KDE 4.1 is also available for OpenSuse as well. So I might want to give ti a whirl soon.

Out of curiosity .
How do new folks adapt towards OpenSuse. Is it quite easy to use?

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
Out of curiosity .
How do new folks adapt towards OpenSuse. Is it quite easy to use?
I don't know about other newbies, but the reason I'm still using Linux when I want to is coz of openSuSE. Well, I've been with it since SuSE 9, and the experience has been a pleasure for me, unlike the experiences I've had with distros like Redhat 9 (at that time), or Fedora (later on). For a newbie, I never had to deal with multimedia stuff a lot with SuSE. I would say Ubuntu could be more newbie-friendly, but maybe I'll always be more biased towards openSuSE (its more pleasing to even look at, in my personal opinion). :)

11 will be installed tonight. :D

praka123

left this forum longback
beware ,it will be heavy for puny systems :)

Opensuse is similar to windows.like it or not.that is the thing which attracts window$ power @busers to stick with it :D

If for eyecandy+kde ,why not Sidux ?

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ STFU prakash... you said you will use openSUSE if the package management were better. Believe me, new zypper is way way better than what it was in 10.3. So use it now.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
beware ,it will be heavy for puny systems :)

Opensuse is similar to windows.like it or not.that is the thing which attracts window$ power @busers to stick with it :D

If for eyecandy+kde ,why not Sidux ?

You like living in the past only?

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
It's good. Period. It's slow if you have anything less than 1 GB RAM.

Well my Home System is not quite old. Its a AMD 4400 with 2 GB of Ram and a 8600 GT display card. Are there like tons of downloads to get this upto date and functional. Is there a 64 bit version also?

Rahim

Married!
I am using it with 512 MB RAM with KDE 4 and its not sluggish at all, as some of you suggest, though i have not enabled Desktop Effects.

Pat

Beyond Smart
Just installed and used it for about 15 mins..Two crashes needing hard reboot already..As expected, Network Manager implementation sucks big time (moreso for pppoe connections)!

1:> Installation was smooth albeit a bit too long and time consuming
2:> Internet connection did not work when I logged into GNOME
3:> Logged in to KDE 3.5, fired up KInternet..CRASH and Hard reboot
4:> Logged in to KDE 4, fired up KInternet..Connected to Internet finally after messing with a few settings..Clicked on the "Add Widgets" on desktop..CRASH and Hard reboot

I am kinda pissed off completely..Maybe its just my hardware or whatever but I have to say this thing is nowhere near to Ubuntu IMHO.Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom