OpenSUSE 11.0 : Novel Juggernaut Triumphs !

Status
Not open for further replies.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
My first was Knoppix 3.2 KDE. Liked it a lot back then. After that, I have not used KDE till 4.0 on SUSE... I did log in sometimes, but primary was Gnome.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@NucleusKore: I had lot of problem in the previous release .. specificly YaST... it used to hang a lot when updating the system.. has this been fixed in this release? did you face any problem with YaST before?

swordfish

Somebody stop me...
I installed KDE4 and Gnome both..

Both worked fine initially..
I dont understand onething is that in gnome i can detect all available wifi networks while in KDE It doesnt detect..

I activated some effects in KDE4. dont remember that it was compfusion or desktop effects.. but after that KDE4 crashes on startup :(( dont knw wht to do.. Is it possible to make it work again..

NucleusKore

TheSaint
@NucleusKore: I had lot of problem in the previous release .. specificly YaST... it used to hang a lot when updating the system.. has this been fixed in this release? did you face any problem with YaST before?

YaST problems were fixed in 10.3. I am surprides you still had problems!! Anyway it's is slick and fast with 11.0. Let me be honest now. I first installed SuSE KDE 4, didn't like it one bit. Then installed with KDE 3.5 and then GNOME I must say SuSE 11.0 on GNOME is the best in SuSE 11.0 if you want speed AND functionality. You can still run applications like k3b which require the kdelibs or other kde dependencies. To make a long story short, if you are looking for speed, stick to GNOME.

As for the comments above on Kubuntu, well I do not have SuSE on my system right now. I have been using Ubuntu 8.04 since it's release and am quite comfortable with it. It's light, and so I do not have to click and wait for things to happen; the lag is much less when compared to OpenSuSE.

I really like the package manager in Ubuntu. And if you have to format, repartition and reinstall your OS you will realise it's usefulness along with apt-on-cd. With SuSE you have to download, download, and redownload again and again. Those multimedia packs I made for OpenSuSE 10.3 did not come easy, I had oulined the procedure I used to follow in an earlier post of mine. Now offcourse I use smart package manager. It's very similar to apt. Only thing I do not like about smart is that there is no --nogpgchecks option :(

I activated some effects in KDE4. dont remember that it was compfusion or desktop effects.. but after that KDE4 crashes on startup :(( dont knw wht to do.. Is it possible to make it work again..

Before you login, press ctrl and alt and F1
type root
and press ENTER

type root password
and press ENTER

Type
xgl-switch --disable-xgl
and press ENTER

Source: *en.opensuse.org/Compiz_fusion

Last edited:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
As for the comments above on Kubuntu, well I do not have SuSE on my system right now. I have been using Ubuntu 8.04 since it's release and am quite comfortable with it. It's light, and so I do not have to click and wait for things to happen; the lag is much less when compared to OpenSuSE.

If you want to test it out again I recommend trying out the KDE 4.1 Beta version rather than KDE 4.0.4.

vista__n00b

Broken In
What "frustration"? Explain buddy. I have been using it for 1 week and i found it to be more responsive than GNOME Hardy.
KDE 4.0.X imho is nothing but Alpha quality software that KDE devs pushed for general public so that they could find the bugs faster. If you likde KDE 4.0.x then you should certainly try their latest beta of 4.1. You'll be amazed at the response of your system.
True. KDE in openSuse was modified too much from original KDE and I hated it.
Then you should try Slackware. KDE in its virgin form :)

chandru.in

In the zone
Well. Before moving over to Ubuntu, Slackware was (and even today is) my favorite distro. I had modified it perfectly to my tastes (including a graphical boot screen). None of other distros have given that kinda flexibility to me till date. :) In fact Slackware is what spoilt me to expect high level of flexibility.

I had to move to Ubuntu only because I wanted to have ease-of-use without losing flexibility.

vista__n00b

Broken In
In fact Slackware is what spoilt me to expect high level of flexibility.

I had to move to Ubuntu only because I wanted to have ease-of-use without losing flexibility.
I understand :)
Slackware is like that ex-bf whom you always miss but just can't keep as well :p

chandru.in

In the zone
True. Those were college days and I had time (in fact loved) all those fun stuff. Now alas, life got lot more demanding. :(

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Really.. aren't there any girls in our forum??
And, secondly do I have to install NVIDIA drivers on OpenSUSE when I'll install it or are they shipped by default?

Yes I am straight and I didn't know that women are in such minority on this forum that they are not even considered while posting. I understand meaning of the question now :)
Well, in a place which is filled with fanboy wars, hot debates, nasty comments, foul language and internet slang, along with 1337 speak, how do you expect lots of women to be present ? :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom