OpenSUSE 11.0 : Novel Juggernaut Triumphs !

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandru.in

In the zone
Would love to try it. But sorry I'm not interested in helping to improve a supposedly open distro which will in turn be used as base for the notorious Microsoft encumbered Linux Distribution.

Rahim

Married!
Just installed and used it for about 15 mins..Two crashes needing hard reboot already..As expected, Network Manager implementation sucks big time (moreso for pppoe connections)!
Yah i too managed to get connected and beleive me i just went on selecting all options and i was shooting in the dark!!!
Ubuntu & pppoeconf is way too easy but i will continue to use openSuse for a while.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Use it for some days and you will start hating other tools. It happens to all. Even I was going to put it away after kalpik gave me a dose of some HUGE problems with SUSE 10.1. I went back to it from 10.2 and using it since... ETA -> 4 hours for download of DVD to finish...

Rahim

Married!
The Network Manager is filled with too many options imo.
My Net connection has been dropping every 5 minutes.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Well my Home System is not quite old. Its a AMD 4400 with 2 GB of Ram and a 8600 GT display card. Are there like tons of downloads to get this upto date and functional. Is there a 64 bit version also?

If you want to get Ubuntu or SuSE up-to-date you will have to download in "tons", whatever that means. Around 200-300 MB maybe. That's why I (try to) release these as a single package in the beginning of every month. This will enable you to deploy among multiple systems or share with friends without having to download again and again. Am currently doing this for Ubuntu here and will be posting shortly for OpenSuSE 11.0 (I just installed it today).

Since the release of Ubuntu Hardy Heron I have already downloaded more than 400 MB of updates (so this is like in a month). This is required if you really want to keep every component of your system up-to-date. Else just download what I release every month.

As for applications/packages, there is no dearth of them in SuSE or Ubuntu. I am not biased towards these two distros ;) but my experience with others hasn't been too good.

Rahim

Married!
Hey guys, I have to be "root" user to dial my Dataone connection through "ifup dsl0".
How can i allow non-root users to do the same?
My connection in OpenSuse is getting dropped/not responding but if i reboot to Hardy then everything is fine. Help me.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Hey! which one should i download. the 64-bit or 32-bit, i have AMD X2 4400+. Is there any probs with 64-bit?

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Don´t download 64 bit if you are just running a workstation. I too have an X2 processor and am running 32 bit - less problems

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
It is... but you better do a fresh install.

If you insist on update. Add all the 11.0 repositories to yast. Remove the 10.3 repositories. Then issue command 'zypper dup' as root.

Aditya

vista__n00b

Broken In
Well I installed it with KDE4 two days ago and I must say that it is sent from heavens for KDE users. Far better than that joke of a distro they call "Kubuntu". A few words of caution though:
1) If you want to use KDE4, upgrade to KDE 4.1 Beta 2 from the following link as soon as you install. It is the first thing you should do or else you'll be left frustrated.
*en.opensuse.org/KDE4
2) Stick to Opera 9.5. It was...is...and will be the best browser out there.
3) Enable native KDE desktop effects rather than using Compiz. KWin is behaving very well even with low graphics power.

Enjoy!!! :)

Rahim

Married!
What "frustration"? Explain buddy. I have been using it for 1 week and i found it to be more responsive than GNOME Hardy.

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Far better than that joke of a distro they call "Kubuntu"
+1000 .. Kubuntu is one of most incomplete and pathetic distro I have ever used :| Using Kubuntu will make you feel KDE is a $#!^

chandru.in

In the zone
True. KDE in openSuse was modified too much from original KDE and I hated it.

In Kubuntu at least, "System Settings" was the only thing modified for 3.5 series and it is now merged into KDE 4 as default. :)

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Even I started using KDE wit Kubuntu.. It was my 1'st KDE distro that I used properly and after that Mandriva Spring :p

praka123

left this forum longback
@chandru.in :you should try archlinux +kdemod ! it owns others. no more kde bloating. kdemod = kde modular unlike hell loads of kdelibs :p

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Really.. KDE on Kubuntu always sucked.. I even diverted to GNOME for a few months on OpenSUSE 10.3 and SLED (loved their edition of GNOME though).. KDE on Kubuntu.. don't show that to your windows friends.. they kick the hell out of you.. But i haven't tried KDE on Kubuntu 8.04.. any one explain please.. how it looks,KDE4 on Kubuntu 8.04..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom