openSUSE 10.3 Available Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
XGL needs to be activated. For gnome, go to control panel and open desktop effects to enable XGL.

For both Gnome and KDE, open YaST, go to etc/sysconfig edit option. And select window manager as XGL instead of Xorg.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ I dunno...I started using it since 10.2 only.

I was gonna go for 10.1, but Kalpik warned me not to because of some update problems.

vaithy

In the zone
Hello,
It seem that the Cd version of Open Suse has some issues like my installation. but the DVD installation has been good.

see here for the problems
*www.itwire.com/content/view/14778/1090/

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
I'm downloading 64-bit edition its almost done, by the way what we'll see the DIGIT's DVD, openSUSE 10.3 or Ubuntu 7.10.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
I am still very happy with my Debian 4.0 Etch.

I used OpenSuse 10.2 and really HATED it.

Just loving .deb and Debian :)

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ Debian users do find it difficult (from my experience) to port to an rpm distribution. And believe me, the package management in 10.3 is a lot better than in 10.2.

Do have a go at it. You will not feel your time was wasted.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Believe me man. Debian has "The Best Package Management"

Even a total jerk just needs Apt - get to get all done ;)

Also Dependancy issues faced are ZERO so far for me.

.deb >> .rpm

praka123

left this forum longback
Congos!still on Debian Etch,follow me! use apt-pinning lenny,sid and experimental to use Debian Sid!it got latest packages gives Gnome-2.20 and latest packages of most s/w.compiz-fusion will work fine.u can get ubuntu upstart replacing sysVinit in Debian sid.then use the 3rd party repositories for multimedia.
gutsy will be facing a strong competition,if debian releases Sid CDs/DVDs.!
and if on etch,dont forget adding backports.org and few other repos in /etc/apt/sources.list.

and Sidux distro is there for Kde Debian users!

below is a PM i send to a new Etch user here as he asked:
ubuntuguide holds almost same for debian except the repositories.enable debian repositories for stable etch by editing /etc/apt/sources.list.then u have to configure 3rd party repositories.
refer and add the repo line from sites :
*www.backports.org/dokuwiki/do...d=instructions
*debian-unofficial.org
*www.debian-multimedia.org/
*www.rarewares.org/debian.php

remember i use apt-pinning and a little complex configuration of Debian Sid(unstable).so if ur using etch,just use backports as possible.
*linuxquestions.org debian section got most repositories and doubt clearances.there are other repositories for compiz-fusion,but may work or not with debian etch-u have to try.

# # If you get GPG errors with sources.list, locate the GPG key in this file
# # and run these commands (where KEY is replaced with that key)
# #
# # gpg --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys KEY
# # gpg --export --armor KEY | apt-key add -

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Tech_Wiz said:
Believe me man. Debian has "The Best Package Management"

Even a total jerk just needs Apt - get to get all done ;)

Also Dependancy issues faced are ZERO so far for me.

.deb >> .rpm

That is what I meant. For a debian and derived distributions user, the package management is the biggest letdown. openSUSE members are doing a lot of hard work. They know that the package management sucks.

Even the latest YaST survey has a question, "Rate YaST without the package manager" and a lot of options follow. So, try it. But it is not at all as good as debian. As you said, in package management SUSE << Debian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom