openSUSE 10.2 - its FANTASTIC! A small review from me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hailgautam

Youngling
I moved from Ubuntu 6.10 to Open Suse 10.2. In case of Ubuntu i just installed the software and watched ................could not do anything at all (I am a NooB).

But in in OpenSuse i could easily configure the Wireless internet connection and infact this is the first post thru it. I also installed some RPMs (Girsbi - accounting package).

I have downloaded the Firefox 2.1.tar.gz from their site but not able to install, (actually - don't know how to do it). can anyone please tell me how to install it. Thanks

Pathik

Google Bot
tar -xvfz /path/file.tar.gz to extract the file...
then type
./configure
make
su
make install

Last edited:

Aberforth

The Internationalist
The make and make install process won't work as the normal download of FF 2.0.0.1 is a tarball instead of source.

hailgautam said:
I have downloaded the Firefox 2.1.tar.gz from their site but not able to install, (actually - don't know how to do it). can anyone please tell me how to install it. Thanks

I'll try to make it as brief as possible, assuming you downloaded it to your desktop and replace 'aby' with your username in the commands -

Start Konsole or Gnome terminal and run

su

Enter password when requested

cd /opt
rm -r MozillaFirefox
tar -xzf /home/aby/Desktop/firefox-2.0.0.1.tar.gz
chown root:root firefox
cd /usr/bin
ls fire*

Now close the console and try running firefox and check Help>>About and see if it reads version 2.0.0.1. Tell me if it works.

hailgautam

Youngling
@Aberforth

when enter the message rm -r MozillaFirefox
I am getting this message:
rm: cannot remove `Mozillafirefox': No such file or directory

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ The best way is to add the mozilla repo: *software.opensuse.org/download/mozilla/openSUSE_10.2/

and update firefox through yast :)

Aberforth

The Internationalist
hailgautam said:
@Aberforth

when enter the message rm -r MozillaFirefox
I am getting this message:
rm: cannot remove `Mozillafirefox': No such file or directory

Looks like you don't have this directory. Try skipping this step then and going with the next.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
It would be /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox
Just type /usr/lib/mo then press tab twice, it will show you the names of director there.
But, the method shown by kalpik is better.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
downloading a source & then installing the required depencies is lot more g33ker way.

The best way is to use yast. it will manage all dependies by itself

hailgautam

Youngling
Thanx kalpik, Installation through RPMs is lot easier, A Noob does not have to do anything except press OK buttons. That's what noobs want any way.

One more thing, previously when some one used to say "Login to root" I used to search for "Login to Root" Button in the the current non-root login:D . Just recently i realized that it means "Login with Root as your Login ID" like Administrator in Windows. I think that was the problem I was not able to configure my Wireless in Ubuntu, previously and jumped to Open Suse 10.2:p

Thanks all of you guys.

DDIF

Custom User Title
caleb said:
I'm new to Linux world but I totally agree with what Yasser has to say regarding Open Suse 10.2

Even for someone like me (who finds Linux world very complex & tedious) I found Open Suse 10.2 to be very user friendly...I say this after having tried out Mandriva, Ubuntu & Fedora.
Yeah its easy to install and use but giving me some problems. It hasn't built in drivers for my VIA/S#G Unichrome Pro IGP adapter for better VGA experience. And by default it can play only AUDIO,MP3 or other audio formats but not any video format. But overall its good.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Select the via driver, it will work ok. And for multimedia, I am saying again, check the sticky on 'how to enable multimedia'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom