Open Solaris thread:-

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
Any One tried OpenSolaris CD? I am thinking of installing it on hdd.livecd takes ages to complete Gnome :rolleyes: .I heard it is supposedly going to be userfriendly and got Debian's apt ported for software management (project Indiana?) :rolleyes:

What is OpenSolaris?
OpenSolaris is an operating system (OS), a source base, and a community. The project's goals are innovation, collaboration, and the extension of OpenSolaris technology. Below are key OpenSolaris-related technologies:
OpenSolaris Source Code: This is the source base for open development. It consists of several components called consolidations. See the downloads page for the technologies released and the roadmap for future releases. At present, the OpenSolaris source base is not enough to bootstrap an entire system, so developers start by downloading an OpenSolaris distribution and installing the OpenSolaris bits on top.
Solaris Express Community Edition: This is Sun's unsupported binary release of OpenSolaris plus additional technology not released as source. Developers can build the OpenSolaris source by using this release as the base system. The release is also known as Nevada, it's, updated every two weeks, and it's available as a free download.
Solaris Express Developer Edition: This is Sun's official binary release of OpenSolaris plus additional technology not released as source. Sun offers limited support for this release, and it's intended for developers and customers to try the latest technology that will eventually be productized by Sun. Developer Edition is updated on an approximate quarterly basis, it undergoes more testing than Community Edition, and it's available as a free download.
OpenSolaris Developer Preview: This is a community-developed binary distribution of an operating system based on the OpenSolaris source code, and it's the first milestone from Project Indiana. It runs on Intel and AMD processors on the server and desktop. It is free to use, modify, and redistribute. See Project Indiana
Solaris OS: This is Sun's fully supported and tested enterprise operating system, and future versions of Solaris will be based on technology from the OpenSolaris project. Solaris is available as a free binary download, and Sun offers service packages and regular updates.
*opensolaris.org/os/about/faq/general_faq
Here is the link to download:
*dlc.sun.com/osol/opensolaris/2008/05/os200805.iso

see this page for OpenSolaris based distros :)
*opensolaris.org/os/downloads/

Do share your experience :)

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
well,opensolaris resource thing which is scary to me!I got only 384MB ram and a 256MB GFX card :oops: one good thing is,this distro carried nvidia/ati drivers unlike Linux distros like Ubuntu.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Yes, I tried BeleniX too, nothing remarkable I found in it for my use. I read that Solaris is good for soft raid?

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
well,belenix ,I had tried latest version sometimes back,it worked fine(but kde :eeks: )

I find opensolaris livecd much better and stylish,you can install kde too :)
one nagging thing these BSD and derivatives is that they dont get installed in logical partitions :evil: !I know Solaris ppl are working on it.still...it is hard for me,I have to use gparted to limit extended partition to get some free space to make another primary partition(total 5 as u know). :|

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I've played with OpenSolaris for a while now. But it just isn't ready for Desktop use. Hardware drivers are a major issue! Linux based OS are much better in this dept. Overall if your hardware is supported and if you know a bit of Linux you can easily get started in opensolaris. IMHO it has got great potential but lacks the initial kickstart.

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
I had ordered an opensolaris CD from get.opensolaris.org, but the godforsaken thing never reached me...:|

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
I am trying it out. I am a great fan of Solaris. One of my friend is working as Solaris admin and we often meet to discuss various details on Solaris. Solaris is way too complicated for general user (as per my view) and OpenSolaris is making it easy to try this wonderful OS. Looking forward to this thread.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
384MB RAM is the problem... :oops: but I like opensolaris.esp after reading about solaris not EXACTLY BSD,but again forked away loong back from BSD. got ZFS fs,got apt like implementation...

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Resizing my partition to install opensolaris. Only problem right now is that 3 drivers are missing, of that 2 are for my network cards and 1 for my winmodem :p that's a bit of problem, but I have found drivers for one of my network card, the one connected to the net so that's good enough.

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
Yamaraj uses OpenSolaris I think.
No! I use Solaris Express, which is the 'real' Solaris out there (beta of Solaris 11). OpenSolaris is an attempt to provide a GNU userland with a working Solaris kernel, along with the fancy stuff like DTrace, ZFS and IPS.

^yeah.but he is not online for months :|
I am usually online only to read posts. If I haven't posted anything in a long time, it's only because of the lack of interesting threads ...and not my absence. :)

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
^Do you think with 384MB of RAM,opensolaris will work on my system(hdd install)?ofcourse,I got a 256MB 7300GT :)

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
OpenSolaris 2008.05 requires 10 GB minimum disk space. It is known to work with a minimum memory requirement of 512 MB, though this may vary on some machines.
- from OpenSolaris FAQ

It'll probably not even install if your system doesn't meet the minimum hardware requirements. It's better if you upgrade your system memory to 1GB, for even Solaris Express DE requires 768MB for installation.

nVIDIA cards are supported, of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom