Open Solaris thread:-

Status
Not open for further replies.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Wouldnt get installed on my system. :(

Yeah.. Belenix has a problem with HDD installation. That is why I wrote that he says it is blazing on his USB. It is a HDD or Pendrive, I don't know cause he has both.

And I think he likes it cause he is in that training program for SUN solaris in his college and I think it was compulsion rather than interest that made him use solaris.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Didn't have a good time so far. Opensolaris complains of not enough space though I am allocating 20GB to it, whereas the minimum required is 10GB. Solaris express tries to take over full hard disk. Maybe someone can help in the latter part then I could go ahead.
And also, how to mount linux partition on solaris, that would be needed to install my network drivers.

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
^Do you think with 384MB of RAM,opensolaris will work on my system(hdd install)?ofcourse,I got a 256MB 7300GT :)

Actually I've installed Solaris 10 in vmware with only 384 MB RAM and it worked flawlessly. I am still running it inside vmware. Here is a screenshot...

*img525.imageshack.us/img525/8489/solaris1re9.th.png

mehulved said:
And also, how to mount linux partition on solaris, that would be needed to install my network drivers.

You can use NFS or try this link.

Last edited:
OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
hey thanks!subrata!I am gonna try soon!(now trying fc9 livecd :D )

hey! :( But I intend to run on Gnome session on Solaris :?

subratabera

AFAIK CDE is preferred over Gnome on almost all Solaris enterprise level servers. Try to use CDE and you will get used to it very soon. And its very light too.

mehulved

You can use NFS or try this link.

I know about NFS, I have run it at FOSS Lab. But, my problem is that both are on the same machine.
Downloading extra packages is out of question cos drivers for both my ethernet card aren't found in solaris and for this precise reason I need to access my linux partition. I have downloaded drivers for my via rhine card and need to access them.
So, it seems both are out of question. Even UFS is read-only on linux so can't transfer contents to my FreeBSD partition and try. It's like a total deadlock situation.
Only thing that seems possible now is, to burn the drivers on a CD.
But, anyways need to be able to install solaris first.

subratabera

You know that Solaris 10 is NOT OpenSolaris, don't you?

Ya, I just want to tell him that he can try Solaris 10 with only 384 MB of RAM. I think OpenSolaris needs more RAM due to Gnome DE and tonnes of running services.

Even UFS is read-only on linux so can't transfer contents to my FreeBSD partition and try.
This might work.

Last edited:

mehulved

This might work.
I am quite aware of that but am afraid of data integrity cos write support to ufs isn't fully stable and generally not recommended on linux. It feels so frustrating that proprietory FS's like NTFS have read write support but support for UFS and ZFS are so far behind. One of the reasons I like FreeBSD more.

rohandhruva

Broken In
I have written a review of OpenSolaris 2008.05, with some tips and tricks.
Here it is - *rohandhruva.blogspot.com/2008/05/opensolaris-200805-review.html

Please comment on how you people find it :)

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
thats so good rohan!
but how much memory do your system got?
I am waiting to try the damn thing on my 384MB system :twisted:

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
Hey guys,
read this review:
OpenSolaris: nice try, pity about the licence
*www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18441&Itemid=1154

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
OpenSolaris REFUSES to boot on my system. Direct boot from the DVD or on VMWare. My hardware refuses to see the DVD :s The hardware compatibility check tool surprisingly passes my system configuration!! :D

sganesh

Journeyman
Great Open solaris,i ve tried ,But Compiz doesnt work,!!!same case with all other linux distributions,Bcz i am using Asus motherboard with VIA display,

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Great Open solaris,i ve tried ,But Compiz doesnt work,!!!same case with all other linux distributions,Bcz i am using Asus motherboard with VIA display,
Prolly never will. VIA has been sluggish with driver releases.

^^
Do write a review:D
Nothing great about it from a desktop/casual user's PoV. As of now for an average joe opensolaris doesn't offer anything "extra" over a Linux Distro.

adi007

Youngling
I have tried both solaris and open solaris but i am not impressed..
Everything is nearly same as linux(i am not an expert) ..
What's so special in it for home users...?
and yes both require 512+ MB RAM

Currently using Ubuntu Ultimate edition,Knoppix 5.3,Slackware..:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom