Onboard graphics VGA out & LCD TV - Not compatible?

patkim

Cyborg Agent
I use LCD TV as PC monitor. Connect AGP card VGA out to LCD TV. Off lately I found frequent hangs in XP hence I started removing excess HW to nail down any problem.

I find that when the AGP card is removed, the mobo’s native onboard graphics (it’s nvidia nforce2 based & 6 years old) does not display anything on LCD TV. Systems boots properly (I can make that out as XP starting audio is heard and then ‘Power’ button on keyboard responds with proper shutdown) but otherwise LCD keeps showing ‘No Signal’.
Only the first BIOS DOS screen and then Loading WinXP is seen on LCT TV but when it’s time to load the desktop and complete XP load, the signal is cutoff on it’s own. Only Safe boot with VGA Mode works!!

It’s AMD Athlon XP 2000, 512 MB RAM, PATA HDD!! It’s old !!
Any pointers to possible solutions would be great..thx

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
One possible factor is that your display driver is not compatible with the onboard GPU which is a GeForce 4 MX. Those older GPUs are not fully compatible with the latest nVidia drivers. The latest driver I'm sure of is 91.47. If this is the reason, boot to Safe Mode, uninstall the display driver and install an older version.

Another possibility is that your onboard gfx does not support your display settings. You probably have it set to match your monitor's native resolution and that's out of range for your onboard gfx. Install the AGP card again, set it to a lower resolution, for example 1024x768. The nForce2 onboard can handle that.

Yet another thing to check is how much RAM is allocated for the onboard graphics. You should check that in the BIOS. IIRC, the GF4 MX onboard can use up to 128MB.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Op needs to remove/uninstall the OLD driver for his AGP card ( from safe ) and then install new drivers for his mobos IGP ( from mobo CD/download from net ) - that should solve his issue ;-)

Top Bottom