OLED Lighting Your Future Homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewsBytes

In the zone
Philips has unveiled a new conceptual OLED that could forever change the way you light your home. The new prototype developed by Phillips Research is completely transparent when turned off, however when turned on, it acts like a source of light!

OLED or Organic Light Emitting Diodes, as they name suggests, they are organic substances using which displays that are orders of magnitude smaller that LCD can be manufactured. They are already starting to appear in many portable devices, and even some concept HD television sets, as they draw much lesser power then even LCDs. However that is not all, they are self illuminating, and thus unlike LCDs do not require a backlight, thus saving in power and space.

A collaboration called OLED100 has formed for the advancement OLED technology, and research in this field is actively being pursued. Over time they hope to produce larger, and longer lasting variants of the 12’’ model developed by Philips.

This use of OLED is still far away, as the process is still complicated and expensive. However over time they hope we can have windows that appear completely transparent in the daytime, and light up at night to illuminate your home.

To read the full news article, click here

Last edited by a moderator:

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
@ mods. Please ban this Digit Bot. :D He isnt even capable of giving news in his own Forum properly with out error.

However +1 for OLED lighting.I seriously want to do it however i am skeptical about the initial cost and availability in India.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Lol .. I copied the correct article from the link .. Earlier I thought it was some trick .. :p

And look at the way he is relaxing ( his avaatar ) *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/image.php?u=44663&dateline=1210670436

You have to do all his remaining dirty work. Some Bot. Hope we never get to chose such bots in FPS game.Will be on a far easy level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom