old hard disk. new pc.

paul.rohit

Broken In
i have an old internal 500gb hard disk which i used in my previous pc. it had loads of files and windows 7 on it. how do i use it on my new pc? my new pc has a 1 TB hdd...it also has windows 7 but the motherboard and the gpu drivers are different. please walk me through all the necessary steps suck as wire connection, formatting etc. thank you.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
First of all gpu drivers has nothing to do with your problem.
Please post in complete details of your motherboard and both hdd so that it could be identified whether drives are sata/pata.

helion

Broken In
Zero problem. Hook up either of the HDDs to boot with, all else will be guided by Windows if not done automatically.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - on your new PC the 1TB HDD must be the boot drive .. just connect the old HDD ( is this is a sata drive ? ) with your new mobo.

The mobo bios and OS will auto detect the new HDD and you will be able to use the HDD just fine ;-)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@paul.rohit: u can connect the 500GB to new PC..just make sure it is in slave mode
which u can do by checking the jumper connections (a detailed diagram is on the HDD sticker)

OP
P

paul.rohit

Broken In
First of all gpu drivers has nothing to do with your problem.
Please post in complete details of your motherboard and both hdd so that it could be identified whether drives are sata/pata.

my new motherboard is asus p8p67-pro-b3. my old hdd is a seagate 500gb while my new one is a seagate 1TB. i want to use my old drive just for storage. and i want to remove all the drivers and the windows 7 os thats inside the old one. im currently using windows 7 ultimate edition

@ OP - on your new PC the 1TB HDD must be the boot drive .. just connect the old HDD ( is this is a sata drive ? ) with your new mobo.

The mobo bios and OS will auto detect the new HDD and you will be able to use the HDD just fine ;-)

yes it is a sata drive. my new !TB hdd is the boot drive. but the old one has windows 7 as well. are u sure that it will not cause any problems on startup? also, even if i am able to boot normally from the new hdd, how do i remove the old os and user files from the old hdd? want to format it cause i want to use the full 500gb

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
yes it is a sata drive. my new !TB hdd is the boot drive. but the old one has windows 7 as well. are u sure that it will not cause any problems on startup? also, even if i am able to boot normally from the new hdd, how do i remove the old os and user files from the old hdd? want to format it cause i want to use the full 500gb

just plug it in & select the 1Tb as the first drive. the OS from second drive won't show up. it'll simply boot from the first HDD regardless of what is there in second HDD.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - do what sam has told you and when you get into windows windows will auto install the old hdd - now copy the important data from the 500GB to folder on the new 1tb drive - delete all the partitions of the old 500gb drive ( use disk management tool ) - creat new partition on the 500GB drive - format the partition and you are good to use the old 500Gb as a fresh drive ;-)

Top Bottom